“ok stay”

Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
FELTHAM
“ok stay”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

stayed at this hotel for one night . all ok clean tidy .nice room .handy as we attending a family party at the hotel opp .only thing to let this hotel down was the long wait for breakfast .everything else ok.would book again ,other reviews a bit ott .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Arabic first
kent
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The exterior décor and communal areas of the hotel makes it stand out from other hotels in the area but like they say never judge a book by its cover.

The room was basic and reasonably clean, it had tea making facilities, an iron and ironing board and a shampoo in the bathroom (no soap or conditioner).

It also had a fan heater in the room this concerned me slightly as that only meant one thing - that the room would be cold. My suspicions were right and come 9 o'clock I was in bed with the heater going and still a bit chilly, I checked the radiator and surprise it wasn't on.

I must say I am a bit fussy when it comes to beds but this one was ridiculous it was as solid as a rock to the point that if you laid on your side it felt like you were on he floor, the sleeping situation was not good but then this was only made worse with people continuously walking about above my room all night I don't know if this was other guests (not the hotels fault) or staff (seems a more likely scenario as it was in the week and most people like myself seemed to be on business).

When I got bored of laying in bed awake I got up about 6 and after having a cup of tea decided to have my shower to wake me up a bit, there was no hot water! I rang reception who advised me that the boiler had not been put on until 30 mins previous and that it takes 2 hours to heat up, by which time it would be too late for the shower. I get the feeling that the boiler not being on was not a mistake and more a regular occurrence as I don't know many hotels that have fan heaters in the rooms as standard. After boiling the kettle and pouring it in the sink to have a wash I thought I would go and have a bit of breakfast.

The dining room was set out nicely and the décor again was pleasant. There were a selection of juices, cereal, yogurts, fruit and some pastries. The waitress came and took my order for a cooked breakfast. I ordered sausage, bacon , egg and beans. Basically the bacon smelt funny and tasted worse, the sausage had a weird frankfurter taste to it but with a fatty sausage consistency the egg was an egg and the beans were cheap. I left the whole breakfast and opted for toast and a pain au chocolate instead.

All in all I pretty rubbish although it was clean and tidy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Excellent value on weekday night. Decent cooked breakfast included and hotel overall perfectly adequate for a business stay. Rooms are acceptable and comfy enough with big enough free car park unlike some hotels on the same road.

• Stayed February 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just to cover things in headings:

Service:
On entering the hotel the receptionist was cold and a little unhelpful but got the job done.

Room
Bath very dirty with signs of mould on the ceiling and round the shower screen
There was no soap in the room
Wardrobe lovely and spacious
Room very comfortable and stylishly furnished
Booklet in room out of date on some details
Blinds kind of tricky to close
Lots of tea and coffee facilities included in the room
Cobwebs on the ceiling

Other
24 hour reception very convenient
Good value for money
Great location

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at The Orchid recently for a Birthday Celebration and we were very impressed. After reading some of the reviews before our visit we had our reservations but we were pleasantly surprised. We had a superior room which was spacious with a new contemporary look. Very clean with great pressure shower and comfortable bed. Location was fantastic and all local amenities i.e beach, town, pubs etc only a 5 to 10 minute walk. Breakfast was fantastic and all the staff were all very pleasant. We don't normally write reviews but felt the Hotel deserves some positive feed back. We would definitely return when visiting the area again.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank BDP77
OrchidManagement, General Manager at The Orchid Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding our facilities, staff and breakfast.

Looking forward to seeing you again.
Winterthur
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Having stayed in different hotels in Bournemouth so far, I would certainly recommend the Orchid Hotel again. It is conveniently located close to the beach, the city center and the university's Lansdowne campus. The rooms are nicely decorated, clean and quite spacious, free wifi is available without troublesome login procedures. Full English breakfast is served, the fruit salad is freshly made and the staff is very friendly and helpful.
Last but not least I have got an incredible deal for my stay in February (booked through the Legacy Hotels website in December) and even though the reservation somehow didn't got through, there was no hesitation from staff to stick with the offer and the original booking.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
OrchidManagement, General Manager at The Orchid Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your nice comments and hope to see you back soon.

Holland
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Every time we visit Bournemouth we stay at the Orchid. It is a nice place to stay. The staff is very helpful and nice. Rooms are big enough for sleeping, cleaning and even hanging out a bit. Slept like a rose! I like the indonasian theme of the hotel. Last time we went there was a coachgroup visiting the hotel for a Christmas weekend. And even though the staff was very bussy there was plenty of attention for the other gasts
Coming from Holland it is kind of strange hearing Christmas songs in november. But sitting at the bar in the Orchid we really came in the mood for Christmas!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OrchidManagement, Manager at The Orchid Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We always appreciate feedback to improve our customer service and the overall quality of the hotel and of course it is great to hear such positive things about the staff and facilities any time.

Hope to see you again