“1st visit to barrocoa”

Barrocoa
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“1st visit to barrocoa”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

the first time i went here i thought the service was slow but they are a new business trying to find their feet & as much as first impressions count everybody deserves a second chance & i am definately going back there because their hot chocolate was amazing & the best i have had

• Visited November 2012

North London
“Painful”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

An object lesson in how not to run a cafe - I understand that it is new but the mistakes on display were elementary.
We ordered coffee and 5 "toasts" but alas cannot comment on the food as it never arrived - half an hour and our coffee cold is simply unacceptable - particularly as the cafe was half empty. Our wait gave us time to observe the set-up in detail though. Clearly some money had been spent on decor and that was quite funky but for the space there were not enough tables and weirdly there were chairs of different heights at the same table...
One member of staff serving - very sweet but not good English skills, struggled when a neighbouring table asked for serviettes. Two people behind the bar - one doing coffee and not sure what the other was doing except not greeting customers. During our half hour experience we counted 20 people come in then leave due to lack of acknowledgement or maybe they just picked up the bad vibes.
More than teething troubles - I said that we'd had a terrible exerience as we left but they didn't seem bothered. Also expensive for average coffee. Avoid.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank N5Traveller
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“A perfect period setting for a relaxing cup of coffee and a slice of cake”
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We happened upon this quaint little shop as we (me and the love of my life) were looking for a "pick me up" during one of our [many] shopping sprees!
Upon entry, we were greeted so warmly, even though it was plain to see that the shop, although almost complete, was still undergoing the final stages of refurbishment, which begged the question "are you open for business yet?".
They were due to open one week from the day (opening it's doors on Monday 5th November), but were offering free coffee AND cake!
The service was warm, welcoming, and friendly; I immediately felt comfortable, and had found a place which offered a complete package (I've found most coffee places to be good on certain aspects, but always lacking one thing or another e.g. uncomfortable furniture, cold or "fake-smile" service, unreasonably expensive, weak coffee etc. or a combination of all the aforementioned!).
Even though we declined the offer of the wonderful cakes on offer, the coffee's (one black americano, and one cappuccino) were absolutely perfect examples of taste, texture, and strength, and the prices, were they to charge us, were very competitive.
Now imagine sitting in a 19th Century setting, with tasteful Classical music playing in the background, on comfortable, elegant furniture, enjoying coffee, served by lovely, welcoming staff...nothing short of a superb experience!
The final surprise, adding to the overall "Barrocoa" experience, was the fact that they are also Chocolatiers! Imagine a setting like this where they make their own chocolate!
They will also have a children's area, where the children will be involved in baking! (I'm sure that's what I understood of the conversation!) Although children will be accommodated, welcomed, and encouraged, they will be in a separate area which means that those of us who want to relax with a cup of something warm and delicious, can do so without too much noise (again, this is what I have understood of the conversation).
I can only imagine this accommodating, and very well priced café, becoming very busy, very quickly, and most of the consumers becoming regulars.
I, for one, will be one of them!
Good Luck, and Best Wishes to them.

2 Thank George K