“Dirty And Disgusting”

and 1 more site!
Burley Court Hotel
Ranked #57 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed at the Burley Court Hotel on the 12 & 13 of June 2012.

Ordinarily I stay at another 3 star hotel, however, this was fully booked which led to my stay at Burley Court hotel following a search on Booking.Com

I can honestly say that I have never stayed at such a dirty and tired looking hotel in my life. I have attached to this email some pictures taken of my room (39) for your reference.

Right from the start, my experience was not good. Originally, I was booked in to room 33. However, I soon discovered hair on the bath and the shower curtain looked liked something had been butchered on it but it was mold. I took some pictures and showed these to the hotel receptionist who was rather defensive. I was moved to room 39. However, this proved to have its own problems, the pictures of which I have attached for reference. You will quickly see that the pictures taken do not replicate any of those presented on the hotel’s website or 3 star AA rating. As it was late in the evening, when I checked in, it was too late to move to another hotel at such short notice.

In addition, to the extremely poor condition of the fabric of the room, I was concerned to note the condition of the waste bin which is something that you would not expect to see in any establishment. This demonstrates that basic cleaning was not carried out in any professional manner in the hotel.

Of a greater concern, the windows in the room were locked and there I could not open them to allow any fresh air in. I dread to think what would happen in an emergency, if access to the normal escape routes were blocked.

As a precaution, I did not dine or have breakfast in the hotel, because if my room was in such a condition, I dread to think what condition the kitchen in which I could not see.

I requested a full refund but so far the hotel is declining to do this. I have advised the hotel that I will contact the awarding bodies (AA) regarding the rating that has been given to the hotel and provide it with the pictures that I have taken and requested that they remove the hotel’s rating with immediate effect until such time as the hotel is brought to an appropriate standard worthy of a 3 star rating. So far, the hotel has not responded.

I have contacted the the AA to visit this hotel without further delay to inspect the conditions that I had to endure and removed the hotel’s rating with immediate effect and the signage indicating its undeserving 3 star rating.

PLEASE DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: "Do not stay at this hotel, especially rooms 33 or 39"
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Connor F F

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Fantastic location, close to town. Polite staff. Very reasonably priced. Will most certainly revisit.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed at Burley Court for a weekend break to see a show at the BIC. First impression was could do with a facelift.

Location 5/5 - We were very pleased with the location, some great bars and restaurants just across the road and round the corner, but it is up hill back from the town. This is helped by a bus stop at the front door.

Room 3/5 - Very dated last upgrade must have been in the 70's, The sheets were crisp, white and clean on a very old wobbly four poster bed. Bathroom clean where it counted. Lots of hot water, don't expect a power shower.

Breakfast 3/5 - A choice of cereal, fruit juice, usual bacon eggs etc. First morning opted for full english, bacon very salty, sausages no taste. second day poached eggs which again had no taste. waiting staff were young, friendly and trying hard.

Would we stay here again - at the right price yes because we liked the location.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I used to live in Bournemouth and have stayed at quite a number of hotels.

This time we were stopping for 1 night (Sunday) on the way to Weymouth so we decided to stay at a more budget hotel than usual.

To be honest - from a value for money prospective we can't complain about the Burley Court. I did smile to myself it was like going back 20 years on arrival - and in ways fawlty towers came to mind by the room was clean and breakfast pleasant. Unlike other comments the shower was ok in our room (11 from memory) and it even had a 4 poster bed (quite narrow though).

If you are looking for a budget hotel - this is fine!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We have stayed here for many happy holidays and we are never disappointed. From the minute you arrive you are looked after by the Hasker family and their dedicated team. Nothing is too much trouble and every need is catered for. The rooms are spacious and cleaned daily to a high standard by conscientious, friendly, staff. The food is excellent, from the amazing breakfast choices and the four course dinner menu to the lunch menu available each day in the lounge or by the pool. The waiters and waitresses are efficient and attentive and always trained to a high standard. There is also plenty to do in the hotel. You can choose from a dip in the pool, (always clean and warm) fun in the games room, relaxing in the tv room, a quiet read, drink or game of cards in the comfortable lounge. The pool area is a great place to spend the day sunbathing or relaxing on the chairs and loungers. It is a great place for young and old and it was a wonderful holiday for ourselves, our children and the grandparents. The family rooms are particularly good and are excellent value for money with children staying free of charge and their meal prices being linked to age. The recent refurbishment has made it even more comfortable than it already was. The location is superb, with all of the local amenities on the doorstep and only a short walk to the beautiful beaches. A great place which we will visit again and again. You will not be disappointed! - McCarthy Family.

Room Tip: Tell the hotel what you require and they will choose the best room to suit you
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert M
Reviewed June 7, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for 2 nights over the Jubilee weekend. The room was large and the beds were comfortable. It was cleaned and we had new towels everyday. My only complaint would be the shower, it was very weak! The water was hot but just not powerful enough. This is the only thing stopping me giving the place 5/5. We heard other guests complaining of this too. The breakfast was very very good. There is a selection of cereals and fruit juices, followed by toast and a choice of a hot breakfast too (full english, scrambled/poached eggs on toast etc)
We had a couple of nights out and found that the hotel was locked when we returned! However, a loud knock on the doors and someone came to let us in.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, the location is excellent, just a short walk to the Pavilion, the gardens, shops, cinemas, restaurants, nightlife, beach. I will stay here on my next trip to Bournemouth...just hope they have sorted out the plumbing by then!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Coconuts_UK
Reviewed June 6, 2012

First, a big thank you to the trolls who gave me a marvellous stay at a first class hotel so cheaply. Food was excellent with every whim catered for. Room was well decorated, good sized and very comfortable. TV, telephone, hospitality tray updated daily etc etc. Bus stop to go to beach outside - get back by walking through lovely lower gardens to the bus stop. Would go again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo