“The Trouvillle”

Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
“The Trouvillle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just had a great weekend staying at the Trouville in Bournemouth.
Lovely friendly hotel. Lots of parking (not always easy in Bournemouth).
Next door to the BIC (for Conferences or shows) and within easy walkling distance of the shops.
Beware of the lift from the car park to reception. When it says "Only two people, or one with luggage", it means just that. If overweight the lift sticks and a member of staff has to free the trapped occupants!!.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Keith B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Cornwall
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We travelled to the Trouville hotel in late January with Hemmings Coach Holidays and stayed for four nights. Unfortunately not only was the weather cold but also the hotel. Our room, on the lower ground floor looked over the car park and although basic the room was acceptable except for the lack of heating, which was not turned on until five o’clock in the afternoon despite the snowy weather. Luckily I took my hot water bottle with me! Reading other reviews I think we must have been unlucky over this.
Evening dinner was well cooked and served at big round tables. We kept the same seats for every meal both for breakfast and dinner and cooked breakfasts were served as a buffet.
The hotel is situated on the side of a rather hilly street and some way from the sea but a short walk through public gardens led us to the shopping centre and some warm stores.
One excursion to a snow covered New Forest was great fun and time at Poole pottery was also enjoyable.
Regrettably my strongest memory is of a very cold hotel. Otherwise the break was very good value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Swanage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stay at this Hotel on a regular basis and hold many functions here. The staff are always very helpful and friendly and the food is excellent. I recently held a luncheon for 90 people from different parts of England with many of them staying over the weekend and had very favourable comments.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this as an ideal base very close to Bournemouth town centre, the BIC and the beaches.

Although this Hotel is not a new Hotel and some rooms do have squeaky floorboards this is far outweighed by its pluses and good value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights here while going to a concert at BIC. Ideally located very close to the venue. Good Italian restaurant nearby (La Strada). Comfortable room (yes the floorboards are squeaky, but just see that as part of its charm). Exceptionally clean. The thermostat on the radiator didn't work (which is why I made it just 4 star). We opened the window so it wasn't a problem, the road is surprisingly quiet for a through route. Pool was a bit on the cool side but fine for a serious swim. Excellent breakfast. We would certainly use it again if going to BIC.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Hotel a little shabby in places. We have never come across such squeaky floorboards in our room! (308). However, room was spotless, including bathroom. Plenty of hot water and good shower. Bed extremely comfortable and clean. Very warm room on an extremely cold weekend.
Our meal was extremely good, with food all extremely well cooked. Staff very efficient and friendly. Breakfast was very good, with lots of choice and well cooked (i.e. thick slices of bacon, not dried up) and hot.
Staff kindly phoned us after our checkout to inform us of iPad left in room. Luckily, we were still in the town!
Great location, in short walking distance of town centre and 2 mins walk to BIC. Would definitely go back.

Worthing
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have just returned from a weekend away with my girlfriend at the Trouville Hotel in Bournemouth, having received a Groupon as a gift from a family member. I've never reviewed anywhere before, but felt compelled to do so in this instance.

Accommodation: The room itself is adequate - "it does what it says on the tin" - they don't claim to be luxury rooms, so don't expect that. However, there were a number of problems - the room was like a sauna, 24/7, no matter what we did with the radiators. Not so much an issue when coming in from the bitter cold, but certainly an issue after 20 minutes or so when it felt like a sauna.

Noise: Unfortunately this was a big issue, and nothing to do with nightlife. The floorboards in the room were incredibly squeeky (as noted by another couple to the staff when we were checking), and the floorboards in the hallway and above were also squeeky. Then there's the bed - incredibly uncomfortable (you could feel every single spring!) - and every time either my girlfriend or I moved, it was accompanied by loud squeeking! Finally, every time a tap or shower was turned on, the noise made was like somone using a power drill, which, in the case of th shower, was accompanied by high pitched squeeking! Not so much an issue throughout the day, but when you're (finally!) sleeping, and then someone in another room turns on a tap, it does tend to wake you!

Staff: Incredibly friendly, I do not have a single bad word to say about any of them, and there are rather a lot!

Food: Dinner, for me, was disappointing, however my girlfriend was more than happy with her food (she had the grilled salmon, whilst I had a very dry, watery and tasteless chicken korma with unexciting plain boiled rice). Conclusion on dinner: Maybe I just chose the one poor item on the menu... Breakfast, however, is a different story. Choice of cereals, which suited my girlfriend, and a buffet style full English breakfast for myself, which I more than readily took advantage of having had a poor dinner the night before!

Location: 10 minutes walk from the local town centre, which was perfect for us during the day, yet still far enough away from the noise of night-time shenanigans! Plenty of high street shops to choose from, and various bars, cafés and eateries to choose from. Also not far from the seafront (although in the bitter weather we didn't venture down there!), and other amenities such as the Odeon cinema and BIC. We also happened upon a restaurant 5 minutes down the road (Valentinos) which I highly recommend if you like true Italian food cooked by real Italians in a family run Italian business!

Overall I can't complain about the area, however the hotel itself I feel let down by. I had not read any reviews on here previously as I did not want to have any false ideals about the hotel, and I really wanted to be able to come on and write a positive review and give it high marks, but it's just not possible - even as a "freebie" given to us bought at Groupon prices.

1 Thank SamLWorthing

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel on first impression was ok. The room was clean but the floor boards in our room 115, around and above us made so much noise we hardly slept. The heating only came on a 5 0'clock. The food was good and the staff friendly. The location was close to the town and beach but up a hill. This hotel is used by several coach companies so can be noisey.