“Nice central Boscombe hotel”
Review of The Chine Hotel

The Chine Hotel
Ranked #24 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Nottingham
“Nice central Boscombe hotel”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Central hotel in Boscombe with excellent service in the restaurant. Bar staff were friendly enough without being over-bearing. Food was well prepared and delivered. Look - this is a decent hotel of which there are better in town, and far worse. Solid performance from everyone involved without being a high flyer!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dean1504

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed for the airshow wkend for my best friends wedding. Overall we had an amazing time the staff couldnt do enough for us. Even though it seems to take forever to get to your room as its a big place, and yes the drink and food are pricey!! There are some lovely local bars snd restaurants near by. The only complaint I have is being it was a wedding when we all went up to the hotel bar we were refused drinks without our paper room number which was annoying!!!! But I would go back snd stay.

• Stayed September 2013
London
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I booked this hotel for my son's birthday weekend as the weather was great and they have an outdoor pool. It was very expensive but I thought it would be a nice treat for the family.
We were put into a family room when I originally requested a triple (the family room has a tiny bunk room attached and my son won't sleep there alone) despite the fact that I did advise the hotel of this when I made the booking. I decided not to complain as it was a mile walk to the room and I was exhausted. We were excited to go to the pool the next day but they were drilling and banging making some new toilets by the pool area (in the middle of july!!!) I asked if they would be long and they said they would be there all day. I asked one of the members of staff to go to the manager and ask him if they could do their drilling and sawing further away and the guy came back and said the manager said no, I would just have to put up with it!!! My young son went to the kids club and he was the only one there with 3 staff. I asked them if they would kindly bring him back to the pool area if he got bored and they agreed. an hour later he turned up alone and I asked him where is the lady that brought you? he said they didn't bring him, just told him where to go to the pool (which is a long way away). I was disgusted that my young child was left alone to wander around the hotel.
That night, there was a wedding directly by our room and it was impossible to sleep until very late. We were exhausted. When we left I complained to the Manager (again!) He said he wasn't able to authorise a refund so we shouldn't pay the bill and the hotel would contact us on the Tuesday to discuss compensation for our terrible trip. On the Monday the hotel took full payment from my credit card and you guessed it, no one ever called me or responded to my calls.
Also, fyi, the common parts of the hotel were filthy!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank debs107
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed at the Chine several times over the last 5 years and always enjoy our stay, whether we have been lucky or not but our rooms have always been very good and clean only one minor point was the balcony could have been cleaned a bit better. There could be a little more choice on the evening menu (our food was included in our price so we had the set menu and quite a few of the dishes had a supplement on) but the breakfast is super and there is plenty of choice from cooked breakfast to a lovely range of pastries, fresh fruit salad, cereals, juices etc. Lovely grounds and fantastic location. Limited parking but we have always found somewhere near. Yes one block does need to be redecorated but apart from that we have always had a fantastic stay and I will be definitely be going back

Room Tip: The back/side of the hotel can be a little noisy in the morning with the deliveries
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Great location, just a few minutes walk from the Pier with a nice flat walk along the promenade to Bournemouth is 15mins. Communal areas in the hotel look great and are well serviced. Food in the hotel is to a good standard and the leisure facilities are also very good. One area that needs improvement is the rooms. The childrens bed was poor, the facilities in the room was poor, the bathroom was need of a refurb asap. In addition to the the bedrooms the staff need to make sure bus trips do not disrupt residents in the evening. Throughout the night from 11pm-3am doors were banging and due to the age of the hotel this echoed throughout the corridor and right through the room.
We had a good family stay but the price was slightly high due to the experience the room gave us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank david j
West Sussex
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Just stayed 2 nights at The Chine over the Bournemouth Air Show weekend. Lucky to get a room at all as booked last minute. Good location, just a few minutes walk from Boscombe Pier, nice flat walk along the promenade to Bournemouth is approximately 15 to 20 minutes at a stroll. Communal areas in the hotel pleasantly decorated. Spectacular landscaped gardens and small outdoor swimming pool, great indoor children's play area for families. Limited parking at the hotel but there is an additional car park which only takes a couple of minutes to walk to. Excellent breakfast served buffet style, staff friendly and helpful. The hotel has an annexed building called the West Wing, in need of some TLC inside. The exterior needs complete redecoration and repairs to window frames which are in a shocking state, peeling paint and splintered wood. Our room was quite small but perfectly serviceable for a short stay. Very comfy bed, good linen and wall mounted flat screen TV with Freeview channels. Plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, but the furniture was rather 'tired' and needs replacing. Nice range of tea/coffee making facilities and a proper hair dryer hidden in the dressing table drawer. Lovely white fluffy bath towels and complementary toiletries. A word of warning, take care when using bath/shower, as the bath is very slippery. Also, I would prefer to have a shower screen than curtain. The building our room was housed in is very old and has the worst creaky floorboards I've ever come across however carefully you tread, so wouldn't really want to be on the ground floor! As you would expect in common with many hotels, the drinks are rather pricey, approximately £6 for a large glass of wine, but hey ho, you can't take it with you. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay and would book again but only if we were guaranteed a room in the main building. Top tip, a bus into the centre of Bournemouth only costs £2, bus stop outside the Boscombe Gardens, less about 5 minutes walk from the hotel on Christchurch Road. Don't bother with Boscombe town centre which is very run down and uninspiring.

Room Tip: Ask to be situated in the main building, large balconies overlooking the beautiful gardens and sea.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Suzieredshoes
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The chine appears to have several levels of room and we ended up in the 'west wing' which is older and not at all similar to the photos the chine displays on its website. At close to £450 for a two night stay in a family room I do NOT expect ripped carpets which don't meet in the middle if the room, horribly stained carpets (crusty stains), peeling wallpaper, rotted window frames and a broken door separating the 'kids room' which was basically a cupboard with a bunk bed in. The double bed was two singles pushed together with a sheet that was too small to fit across. In short the room was old, uncared for and a huge let down. The campbed put at the end of the double bed as the fifth child's bed was also broken with missing slats.
The Windows are bolted down so they can only be opened a few inches and there is no air con, so on a hot summer night with five people in a room it was horrid.

We complained and although the staff we're genuinely very lovely couldn't do anything as it was a busy weekend so we were stuck with it. They did reduce the room rate for us but it didn't help fix the dampened spirits on what should have been a wonderful stay in a wonderful location.

Such a shame.