“Excellent”

Best Western Montague Hotel
Ranked #46 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I booked a late holiday with the Montague Hotel. We arrived early but were able to get a permit to park our vehicle. We were welcomed with smiling and very friendly staff. After taking a stroll down on the beach we came back to get checked in. The room was clean and meet out needs in every way. The hotel staff treated us wonderful the entire time we stayed. We had such a nice time, we decided to stay another night with no problems. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
BestWesternMontague, Front Office Manager at Best Western Montague Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

On behalf of everyone at the hotel thank you for such a complimentary review Tlf1392. We are so glad you were able to spend an extra night with us. Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, that our guests expect. We look forward to another opportunity to host you at our property, and once again, thank you for your positive comments.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Montague Hotel

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and parents- two rooms booked the evening of the 28th August.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. The reception lady and the gent behind the bar who also seemed to do a lot lot more, were an asset to the hotel. Management-be advised, without them and you won't have a hotel.

The food was good, the bar area small but adequate and the rooms were more than ample. A good standard

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

What a lovely review for all of us to read stonesfordf. Our staff are naturally customer service orientated and we are so glad you were able to experience our friendly hotel. Thank you again for your 5 star review - we love feedback from all our guests.
If you are ever in need of a hotel in Bournemouth you know where we are and we will ensure you have an excellent stay once again.
Best wishes to you and your family

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed here for the weekend of the Bournemouth Air Show and incredibly impressed with the hotel and its lovely staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them ... from sorting out a parking space for us as almost full due to it being the air show weekend (and allowing us to leave our car there the next day after we'd checked out), to putting our little boy's milk in their own fridge and ice packs in their freezer ... the 3 girls we dealt with on reception were amazing, so friendly and helpful. The bar area was lovely and cosy, with huge leather sofas and chairs, perfect for a relaxing drink after a busy day. The rooms we had (19 and 20) were quite large and very comfortable, amazing soft beds and spotlessly clean with large bathrooms (some other reviews state that the rooms and bathrooms were very small, however I can only comment on 19 and 20 as didn't see any others). The hotel is perfectly located for walking down to the beach which less than a 5-10 min walk, and another 5-10 mins to the pier and Oceanarium. Be advised that it's all downhill on the way there, therefore uphill on the way back, but we came back via the Lower Gardens and walked the road way which meant just one short (but steep) hill, and then the rest was flat, so much easier bearing in mind we had elderly parents and a heavy pushchair! Breakfast was good (the only tiny negative I'd have was that the scrambled eggs were like rubber and not made from fresh eggs, rather powdered egg I think), but the rest of the selection was fine and perfectly adequate. We're definitely booking for the Air Show again next year and will probably stay for 2 nights rather than just the one ... would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: 19 and 20 were both large rooms with big bay windows overlooking the front of the hotel (some road n...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

SuzyQ2511 thank you for your fantastic review. What a weekend to stay with us - the Air Festival is such an asset to the town and its free. The weather was so lovely for you and we cant wait to welcome you back next year - same rooms, same weekend! Thank you for the lovely review you sent booking.com and the personal email you sent us to the hotel it is massively appreciated.
It was a pleasure to be your Bournemouth hotel

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Me & my husband spent 3 nights at the Montague. Check in was quick and efficient, we were given room 6 which is on the small side but fine for a couple of nights.All the staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. The hotel is well located for the beach - 5 minute walk and also the town centre. Breakfast was very good, plenty of choice and cooked to order, fresh and hot. I would return again.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
BestWesternMontague, Front Office Manager at Best Western Montague Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Many thanks for your wonderful review Debski26. We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. It was particularly great to hear you enjoyed the breakfast. Our kitchen team work hard to ensure our breakfast dining offerings are of a high standard. I will make sure your comments are shared with the kitchen team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed at the Montague for two nights in August & had enjoyed a really lovely stay. The hotel is very well located for the beach & other facilities & well priced in comparison to others. Breakfast was plentiful with quick and efficient service. Our family room was perfectly adequate for our needs. We will return to the Montague & would recommend this hotel over others we've stayed at in Bournemouth.

Room Tip: Double rooms look small in comparison to superior ones
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

JMD70 - a big thank you from Bournemouth to St Albans. Thank you for a 5/5 response for value we try to remain competitive at all times. I will make sure your comments are shared between our friendly team
We hope to see you back at the Montague very soon

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Having stayed in Best Western hotels in Europe before and been very impressed, we thought we would try one in the UK. However, European standards are clearly very different and the Best Western Montague Hotel was a big disappointment.
The room itself was acceptable, though on the small side and roughly what one would expect from a 3 star hotel in this country. There were issues with the room though. The bed was uncomfortably soft (though some people might like this) and gave both myself and my wife backache. The room was also very warm and the only available bedding was a winter quilt, no option of a sheet or a blanket. I chose to lie on top of the bed. The main problem with the room (21) though, was the bathroom. It would be an understatement to say it was small; it was on a par with an airline toilet. The floor area was smaller than a towel; I checked. To use the basin you had to leave the bathroom door open as it was impossible to use the basin otherwise - the front of the basin was about 350mm from the door. The shower was similarly proportioned and it took a minute to actually get wet in a very poor gravity fed shower.
Now I come to the biggest problem with the hotel - the breakfast. It was the worst my wife and I have ever had and we have travelled extensively. In many of my previous reviews I err on the positive side, but I do not have a kind word to say about this abomination of a breakfast. The scrambled eggs resembled three day old wallpaper paste, arriving as two grey lumps. We sent them back requesting freshly cooked eggs and what returned was a yellow inedible version swimming in butter. The sausages were extremely low quality with a very low meat content and the orange juice barely tasted of orange (again very poor quality), The Danish pastries ran out and were not replenished at all. The bread for the toast ran out and guests had to request it, as did the juices and it was 15 minutes before they were replenished.
We told the receptionist we would not be having breakfast the following day and were informed that due to the online booking policy we would only be entitled to a refund of £2. It turned out we were not even entitled to this on a prepaid booking. Even though we had prepaid for two nights bed and breakfast, we declined to have it the second morning, preferring to pay to have something edible elsewhere.
If the Best Western Montague Hotel is typical of the group in this country, then it is a sad indictment on Best Western Hotels. I certainly will not be staying at one in this country again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 21; the bathroom is miniscule.
2  Thank weekenderpaul

Weekenderpaul - I would like to thank you for your detailed and honest feedback of your recent stay at the hotel. I very much appreciate the time you have taken to clearly outline your concerns and feedback. I am truly sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your hotel choice. All Best Western Hotels are individually owned and operated. The hotel does stock sheets and blankets and we wish you had of made your comments known with reception or housekeeping and we could have altered the bedding in your room. We also stock a number of fans which are available to guests 24 hours a day.
In response to your comments regarding our bathroom sizes we understand that the configuration of some of our rooms can be smaller than others. Being an old building we are limited by the layout of the rooms and in most cases are unable to extend on the room size. I do apologise that the bathroom did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were late in getting to Bournemouth and we had to book a room on seeing the Best Western we thought seeing as how we have stayed in them before and they were exceptional we would book into this one. I wish we hadn't! I must say that the young lady on reception was remarkable and couldn't have been more helpful, thank you. The room was a superior family room but it was unremarkable. The water in the bathroom was disgusting the smell was dreadful. The whole room especially the bathroom had a distinct smell of sewers, yuk! Breakfast was terrible I ordered scrambled eggs and they were the worst scrambled eggs I have ever been served they could have bounced down the sea front given half a chance. I noticed as I was leaving the restaurant that several other guests had also left scrambled eggs on their plates so it sort of speaks for itself. Therefore, another hotel that we will not recommend or revisit. By the way the room rate for this was £111 we actually paid £86 and that was far too much.

1  Thank melodymcgrath

Dear melodymcgrath,
I am sorry that you did not have a good experience with us. We take all reviews good and bad extremely seriously. I do feel your comments regarding the rate paid for the room are slightly unfair. As you have stated you arrived late and with no booking we offered you a subsequently discounted rate where we also offered you a complimentary upgrade. Rates in Bournemouth during August very rarely fall below £100. I am also unsure why no comments were made on checkout on the Friday morning.
I do hope this does not deter you from using the Best Western brand