“bonzo 7” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“bonzo 7”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Nice location near to sea and shops very clean rooms and friendly staff nice bar and happy hour made drinks very reasonable.We had great weather as we were on a cricket tour in and around the New Forest

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BestWesternMontague, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Montague Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Bonzo7,
We are pleased that you were able to make full us of Happy Hour (or happy 5 hours!) We find this very popular with all our guests. When planning your next cricket tour - please do not hesitate to contact me personally for some great group rates.
Anna Kingston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Calne Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed here for four nights, Monday to Friday. The location is handy for the BIC, beach, shops and restaurants. All within walking distance. The rooms are clean and adequate, but the showers could do with overhauling. The water pressure is low in some rooms. The staff are fantastic. They are all welcoming, and willing to help.
Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kleabs5 thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff you encountered during your stay with us in Bournemouth. It is nice when a guest is with us for more than one night as it means our staff are able to get to know the individual guest and the guest is able to experience our customer service.
Thank you from all the team at the Best Western Montague Hotel
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here recently in a twin room for a short overnight stay. As others have said the staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was plentiful and the dining room quite pleasant. However our room was very dated and the shower room/toilet was very shabby. The shower itself was difficult to turn on and the shower door didn't close completely. However we had asked for and got a quiet room overlooking next doors very pleasant garden. The beds were comfortable and clean and there was ample room for both us and our luggage. Just a little modernising of our room and some of the public areas would have allowed this hotel it's 3 star rating. Come on guys at least put the 'n' back in Montague!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Carol W,
Thank you for your review - I am sorry you feel that the room you accommodated was dated. Being a small hotel we have to refurbish our rooms on an individual basis. If you make another reservation for our hotel please contact us prior to arrival so we can arrange a nice room for you.

Thank you for your comments.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Just spent a week at this hotel. It's in a Great location about a 5 min walk from the BIC
The rooms are small but very clean and tidy. Shower not the most powerful in the world either.
However the lovely staff make up for any shortcoming and are more than happy to change your room if you need to.
Would I stay here again? ... Yes

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jonesy914 - thank you for your lovely review. It was a pleasure to accommodate you at the Montague for a week. We would love to welcome you back to the hotel.
Kind Regards
From all the 'lovely staff'
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

As a senior contributor to this site; as with all my reviews I will give a balanced, accurate reflection of my stay. Stayed here for four nights with my company in May 2013.

The good points. The check in process was hassle free and I went to my room. The hotel the room was very clean and was dust free, as was places which usually get missed such as window sills and shelves in wardrobes, bathroom was spotless too. Good daily room servicing and the room was actually cleaned every day as opposed to just making the bed and emptying the bins. Good supply of milk and tea/coffee in the room along with towels and soap/shower gel. Trouser press and hair dryer also present. Flat screen TV on the wall and table and 2 x chairs. Alarm clock and bedside lights all present and all worked ok. The hotel does not have air con, but there was a double radiator in the room along with two large windows that open. The opening of the windows was not restricted like in some hotels, so it was easy to get a good flow of air through the room. I was allocated a room at the front and the noise from traffic is there 24/7 as it’s on a busy main road, but this didn’t really bother me. If it does, ask for a room at the back, the road at the back of the hotel is a side street and the volume of traffic there is much lower. The view from the front is nothing special so you won’t be missing out on anything (see photo). The Wi-Fi in the hotel worked well with a strong signal and achieved speeds of around 2.5Mb. I did notice on at least two of the nights I was there it appears to stop working around about midnight, not sure if this is a deliberate hotel action or whether it was just chance, but it was back on again by the morning. There is also a Windows XP machine in reception for guests to use free of charge. There is good strong 3G mobile phone coverage on Vodafone and Orange/T-Mobile. I don’t have devices on another networks so can’t comment. Food. I only had breakfast so I can’t comment on the bar snacks, however, from what I had it was good. Breakfast is a help yourself for the bread/cereal/pastries etc but you have to ask for anything cooked. I had a cooked one morning and had no complaints.

The not so good points. From the outside the hotel is looking a little tired, as the photo that I took shows, they need to fix that problem with the displaced “N” soonest as it makes the place look like Fawlty Towers! The car park at the rear is OK, surfaced with tarmac and is well lit; however, there is a lack of capacity when the hotel is full. There are about 33 rooms in the hotel but I would say that the car park could only accommodate about 20, maybe 25 cars maximum. Fewer if there are vans or commercial vehicles, there is no apparent separate staff car park, thereby limiting capacity further. I have stayed here before and the room I had before was quite large and had a bath, but the room this time was very small, as the photos show, the bathroom being almost “caravan size” and very cramped. Again see the photos. The whole hotel could do with a makeover; the decor is very dated and has very visible signs of wear and tear. A previous reviewer has mentioned it but the floor boards creak like I’ve never heard before, I wasn’t able to take a single step in my room without them creaking. The walls are wafer thin too; I could clearly hear conversations coming from the rooms adjacent to mine. There is a problem with the plumbing, the shower pressure was poor and to prevent the water going from hot to cold the temperature control needed constant adjustment. I did leave it on maximum hot for a good few minutes but the temperature of the water still kept widely fluctuating. I think it’s to do with how many other people are using the water supply, it’s worst in the morning but by late afternoon I was able to have a shower with a more controlled temperature, but the pressure is still a problem. Similarly there was a problem with the toilet, the cistern was only filling to about 50% and as such it needed multiple flushes to clear it. The refill time was slow, typically about 7-10 minutes. There is a lack of storage space in the rooms; I only had a double wardrobe, no chest of drawers. The double bed was fairly comfy however it was made up of two single mattresses joined together. The mattresses had obvious signs of wear as both sagged towards the area where the mattresses joined and so you had to sleep at a diagonal angle to prevent rolling around at night. If there were two of you in a bed I am not sure how easy this would be. The curtains were not very thick and did not meet; they left gaps, so in the morning the room got light quite early.

Overall I do not think that the hotel offers value for money. It was clean, the staff are very friendly, welcoming and accommodating, however, the hotel is very tired and showing signs of heavy wear and tear. I wouldn’t stay here by choice. It’s ok if you’re only going to be there for a short time or if you don’t plan on spending much time in your room, but I would not recommend it for the seasoned business traveller as it lacks many facilities that business users require.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Dear gnatfish1992,

Thank you for your in-depth review regarding your stay with us. We appreciate the time you have taken to point of the positive and negative aspects of your stay. I am pleased that you made comments regarding our friendly staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. As you can understand a hotel can experience maintenance issues at any time - we understand that the 'N' coming loose from our hotel exterior does not reflect the hotels standards however being so high up it took a few days to locate an appropriate ladder for the job. Being such a large group who stay with us every year we hope you can understand some of our rooms are larger than others when you are taking up 80% of the hotel. We have received your group booking for next year and will try to accommodate you in a room similar to last year.

We wish you all the best for the rest of the year and look forward to welcoming you back next May.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We had this hotel during the worst weather in March at a trip away. The main part of the hotel was pleasant, well decorated, staff were friendly, rooms were a good size and breakfast was great for the money yet it did let itself down in a few areas. Firstly there is only enough parking for around 10 cars so you need to be back early to find a spot, local roads cannot be parked upon. The location is good for walks but a long way from of the centre for other amenities.
As for the building, it is old so the floors squeak and some of the furnishings are no newer. The bathroom was poor. Take the 1960s fan hair dryer in rooms for example, my partner was in agony/tears after it literally sucked up her hair, I cut her free and thankfully it left no lasting damage as it also got extremely hot. These things need to be changed and it would seem as though there is a refit going on but we missed it. Bar the hair dryer it was a basic but pleasant hotel, good value for money.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BestWesternMontague, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Montague Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Darran L,
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Montague Hotel - we always welcome all types of feedback however there are just a few comments you have made about the hotel which I feel the need to clarify. The hotel has double the spaces you have stated in your review almost two thirds for the amount of rooms we have. A hotel close to us has 117 rooms and only approximately 15 spaces. Also all the roads around the Westcliff are free unlimited parking. Also the hotel is not even a 10 minute walk to centre of town (0.7 miles) we are very centrally located to the beach and town - I am sorry you feel differently
Kindest Regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed & had a lovely couple of days in Bournemouth. Nice hotel & friendly staff. Clean & good location, but please can you fix the squeaky floorboards (room 30) OMG! Drove ourselves crazy with every step, let alone neighbours or people on floor below. Otherwise very pleasant stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear M W,
Thank you for posting a review following your departure from our hotel. Such a shame that you were only in Bournemouth for a quick visit - hopefully next time you will be able to spend longer in our beautiful town. Due to the age of our building we are looking into planning a refurbishment programme where the floorboards will be included in any work carried out.

Kindest Regards