“Lovely place for a weekend”

The Chocolate Box Hotel
Ranked #5 of 131 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Just got back from this fantastic hotel. We only stayed one night as it was a quick visit to attend a concert at the BIC. We had the triple room which was lovely and perfect for my husband and I and our 13 year old daughter. It is in a perfect location close to everything and Neil was very helpful and a wonderful host. To finish off our stay we had a fantastic home cooked breakfast. We would not stay anywhere else in Bournemouth.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We received a very warm welcome, staff very friendly. Room was very clean and met our needs brilliantly. Good selection for breakfast and despite being busy, we weren't kept waiting for our orders Hotel is in an ideal location, couple of minutes walk to beach and town centre.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Made to feel very welcome, nothing to much trouble, even let us stay long after check out to watch the Grand Prix. Always found time to talk and help residents enjoy their time in Bournemouth. Clean comfortable room. Very nice full English breakfast.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was our first visit to Bournemouth for many years. We received a very friendly welcome from Neil. The room (number 4) was comfortable and spotlessly clean, including the shower room. The full English breakfast was excellent and perfectly cooked. The hotel is within easy walking distance from the town centre, the beach and the buses. We had a very enjoyable short stay (2 nights) and can recommend this hotel very highly indeed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here for one night with my partner and another couple. Called the night before, booking was very easy. The owner is very welcoming. We had the Garden Room and our friends had room 4. Room 4 had a very modern clean bathroom and is very well decorated. The Garden Room is an older room, the bathroom is small but the room was very spacious! The shower did have some hairs in it but otherwise it was very clean. We all slept well. The breakfast was very nice and the owner was very helpful giving us directions.

This B&B is excellent value for money. My friends have stayed at similarly priced places in Bournemouth and said that Marlins is a step above the rest. The owner was friendly, a short walk to the beach and town centre. It met our needs perfectly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2013

As a Solo traveller, it was my first visit to Bournemouth and after being let down badly by The Cumberland Hotel and scrambling to find another hotel, I came across the Marlins Hotel.
I just finished staying at Marlins Hotel for 4 nights from 20th September 2013, and couldn't wait to write this review.

Ideally located in Bournemouth, it is only 5 minutes walk to the beach. When Neil, one of the owners told me this, I wasn’t 100% convinced, but he was right. To get to the beach, I just walked behind the hotel, down a side road and then turned right and at the bottom I saw the beautiful Bournemouth beach. I find the beach relaxing and I enjoyed sitting there taking in the sea view and watching the passersby. There is also a landscape park, which is located just off of the beach, it is beautiful and I would often walk through to get to the town centre. It was Art Performance week, so a lot of weird, wonderful and interesting Acts were performing.

The Marlins hotel itself is great value for money and is very clean; the breakfast was excellent with table service. The owners were really nice and pleasant without being over the top. It was clear they took absolute pride in all that they did in the hotel and for their guests. Another great thing was that, they didn’t take stag or hen groups, which meant it was very quiet and peaceful at night.

My only bad experiences were not with the hotel, but no.1 there are a lot of hills in Bournemouth, which can be hard on your knees and feet when walking. But more importantly, no.2, I was not happy with the taxi company, which took me back to the train station for my return to London. A taxi company called United Taxis agreed one price to the Hotel, who booked the taxi for me, but after arriving at the station, the taxi driver tried to charge me more money, which I refused to pay and only paid what was originally agreed.

But despite this, in regards to the hotel, all I can say is thanks for an enjoyable holiday, I will definitely stay there again and will absolutely recommend the Marlins Hotel to anyone thinking of visiting Bournemouth.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jenn A
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Exceptional attention to detail, thorough cleaning, excellent full English breakfast, helpful hosts, well located, free parking & wifi - I always expect wheels to fall off but Marlin's excelled in all elements ! We stayed in their uppermost room which had a private bathroom across the hallway which was ideal. Sorry to leave !

• Stayed: September 2013