“Great service, staff, and location”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #24 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

We booked the penthouse suite and we were assigned the Beatrice suite, it was amazing! Beautiful sea views and very comfortable, great value for money.
The hotel is undergoing renovation, but the areas we saw were really well maintained. The staff are all exceptionally helpful and very kind . The breakfast was fresh and plentiful with a great selection of hot and cold. The location was great for what we wanted, a walk into town took around 20 mins but the weather was lovely and so this wasn't problematic. I would definitely return to this hotel if I was going to be in the area

• Stayed: August 2013
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Vianne451,

The penthouse rooms are always popular with probably the best views in Bournemouth. I am happy to see our hard work in maintenance is paying off. We are always updating or refreshing something but this is a never ending job with a hotel this size as I’m sure you can imagine.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and happy to know you would use us again. I hope to see you soon and best wishes.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,149)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Ok the rooms-not amazing but perfectly fine, we had Margaret, a twin on the 4th floor, not a great view but I didn't pay for a seaview so did not expect it! Beds were comfy enough and room fine for us. Friends had a standard double which was a little smaller but again fine for their needs. Had a glimpse inside a seaview with balcony and it does look fantastic so if I ever see a deal on that I will grab it!!
Food was amazing, so pretty and tasty, child friendly and the waiting staff were very helpful and friendly which really makes a difference.
Staff were all really helpful and all had smiles on their faces even when dealing with more difficult customers - I think a lot of people read the reviews on here and then kick up a stink in order to get free upgrades from the sounds of things, to be honest if you pay for a standard room then expect a standard room - if you want more space and a seaview then pay for it!
The style of the hotel is typical seaside hotel, I liked it, if I wanted London clean cut style I would have booked a London hotel! There are some places which do need attention but they are just little bits which I think if anyone moans about them then they are just being picky and looking for stuff to moan about!
Location wise it is great, away from the main noise yet close enough to walk to without having moaning kids! Using the outdoor pool next door is a bonus (heated pool!). My only gripe is the cost of a small glass of lemonade etc, that was a bit much - other than that all was fab and I can't wait to book for next year.

Room Tip: Go for a seaview with balcony - they look amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Helcatamy

Wow, what a review, well first let me thank you for picking up on the fact customer service is our main focus the staff try very hard to help any guest and make their stay an enjoyable one.

It is very true that the mentality of people is shifting and they feel by complaining they will gain from it. I also find this very sad and as I have always said I am very happy to receive constructive criticism to better my product but when people bend the truth for their own gain it only upsets the staff who work extremely hard and ruins the reputation of businesses that really don’t deserve it.

Any way, rant over... I am please you enjoyed the hotel and I hope you will be back again soon to visit where I am sure you will be looked after once again.

Best wishes to you and your family

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Took my family to the Suncliff Hotel for lunch last weekend, there was 10 of us in total.
I must say that the Sunday Lunch Carvery was fantastic value for money & the staff were all so friendly & helpful & nothing was too much trouble for them.
All the members of my party commented on how impressed they were with everything & thanked me for making such an excellent choice in where to have Sunday lunch.
Well doneSuncliff we will be back again.

Stayed: August 2013

NessiK

A big thank you for your kind comments regarding our Sunday Carvery, we try very hard to create a relaxed atmosphere where people can relax and enjoyed our tasty fresh food. We have many locals who come along most Sundays so I hope you come again soon.

Thank you once again and best wishes to you and your family

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We have just arrived back today from a stay at The Suncliffe Hotel with my mum and my 2 boys aged 14 and 10.
On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff on reception and given our room keys. We stayed in family room 118 which was huge with a double bed and very impressed with 2 single beds as opposed to camp bed which you quite often get in a family room. Yes as I have read in other reviews it is getting a little tired but it was nicely decorated and clean.
I did have to ask about the mattress in our room as it had springs coming through but it was changed by the time we came back from our day out, it
Still wasn't the best but certainly better.
My mums room 132 was a little off the beaten track down corridors and right at the back of the hotel but she says she slept lovely and it was big enough for 1 person.
Breakfast was fine with a good choice of food
I use to come to Bournemouth every year when I was a child and this hotel brought back all my memories of holidays with creaky stairs and dated decor!!
It will be the anniversary of the death of my father tomorrow 12 months on and we wanted to remember the good times we had in Bournemouth and we enjoyed every min of it.

• Stayed: August 2013

Tillymint86

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Suncliff.
We describe the hotel as a Traditional seaside hotel and I am so glad this became apparent during your stay.
We have been very popular with families this summer and thank you for supporting the hotel and going one step further by sharing your comments on Trip advisor.

My best wishes and I hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Suncliff Hotel is in poor state of repair. decor throughout the hotel abysmal, Carpets dirty and worn, Communal lounge resembles the worst of a working man’s club. As one of our party had mobility problems we asked for a room that did not require climbing stairs, the first room offered was a the farthest end of the hotel down a flight of stairs, this room was very small and was supposed to be for 3 Adults, it had a double bed and a put-u-up bed, and a very small dressing table, it was so small that it was not big enough for a wardrobe. We declined to stay in that room. We were then offered two rooms (not what we wanted or we would have booked two rooms) we were told they were upgraded rooms and we would not be charged extra!!!! the rooms were a good size in a good position with sea views, however the sinks in both bathrooms were cracked, the carpets in both bedrooms were filthy, the bathrooms were internal and did not have extractor fans so the ceilings were speckled black with damp. The bath in one room obviously had a crack in the top near the taps which had been filled with a large amount of silicone sealant which was grubby and the shower curtain was held up with string. The furniture in one of the rooms had seen better days and was falling apart as was the ceiling and decor. We were told that the owner is intending to refurbish as a 'Traditional English' hotel. Not quite sure what that means because at the moment it looks like it has not changed or been maintained since the 1950's. Sorry but about the worst hotel I have been in in years !!!!!!!!!!!! However on a slightly better note the food was very good and the staff very helpful so full marks to them. Shame about the senior management/owners for not keeping the hotel up to date.

Room Tip: Rooms at front with sea view are quieter, rooms a rear face car park and service area. But you need...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Maureen H
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion of your stay, and I’m sorry to hear that on this occasion we did not match your expectations. We do try to meet all guest requests as far as possible, clearly an oversight was made in the allocation of your room and for this I apologise. Once the reception team were made aware of this mistake they did everything possible to find a suitable alternative, bearing in mind the hotel was at over 95% full, in this case the best option was 2 adjacent sea view rooms, normally sea view rooms carry a supplement charge but due to the inconvenience to yourselves the supplement was waived. You were offered a choice as to whether you would prefer to stay in the 2 sea view rooms or move together into a family room for the last 2 nights of your stay and you opted to move.
I understand you brought your concerns regarding the standard of the accommodation to the attention of my colleague who personally investigated the points you reported. Whilst the rooms were not found to be “grubby”, evidently some areas were not up to the standard expected, notably the fractures in the bath and sink. We have been working with a contractor to repair any damaged baths in the hotel and the next step is to address the sinks, this is an ongoing project and as I’m sure you can understand cannot be completed overnight. Regardless, I appreciate the valid points you have raised and these have been passed to the maintenance and housekeeping departments to remedy as a matter of high importance.
After this, as a gesture of goodwill it was agreed that the remainder of your evening meals would be complimentary, as you had already booked and paid for these in advance I personally informed you that you could use the value against any extras or have the balance refunded to you. From this it is clear that the issues you encountered were taken seriously and as much as was possible was done to rectify these issues at the time. With regards to your comments concerning the decoration of the hotel have to say I find them undeserved, the public areas of the hotel were repainted last autumn and we have a full time maintenance team employed to fix faults as well as work on our ongoing bedroom redecoration programme.
I am pleased to read however that you enjoyed the food and the service provided by the staff during your stay. We are all aware how important it is to provide the best in customer service and I firmly believe that the staff members at The Suncliff are a credit to the hotel.
Taking all the above into account I have to say that I find such a negative trip advisor review somewhat unreasonable and frankly disheartening when it is clear that each member of staff you encountered did as much as possible to look after you during your stay and yet this was repaid with such derogatory comments. We value trip advisor as a useful tool to gather feedback which we use to better our products and services, but it should also be used as a forum for constructive criticism and praise where it is due.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have visited Bournemouth a number of times and stayed in a wide range of hotels. Having read the reviews I was a little worried about staying at the Suncliffe, however, those doubts were all misplaced. The hotel is well placed away from the noise of the centre of Bournemouth but still within easy reach of the attractions.
The rooms are a good size and represent good value for a hotel that bills itself as a 3 star property. The decor is slightly dated, but nothing that would cause any sleepless nights. Bathrooms are well fitted.
The facilities are very good - especially when staying here you can also access the facilities of the sister hotel next door, which offers outdoor swimming pools, along with four restaurants and bars, as well as a Costa Coffee shop.
I couldn't fault the service and breakfast was excellent. The staff were willing to help and make suggestions when I asked them about the good bars to visit. The manager I spoke to was very enthusiastic and helpful (Russell I think?).
In conclusion, I would say that this hotel offers a good place to stay if you are looking for a good value property that provides a comfortable and accessible stay in Bournemouth

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Gavintheworld

Thank you for such a positive review, I’m glad to see that you enjoyed your say with us. We strive to provide the best in customer service to our guests at a reasonable price. One of the advantages of operating as a resort with our adjacent sister hotels The Cumberland and The Cliffeside is the wide range of different facilities we are able to offer guests staying with us including our recently opened Oceana Day Spa, offering a range of luxury treatments in a relaxing Asian themed spa.

I hope to welcome you back to The Suncliff soon

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The website description of the SunCliff is not accurate. This hotel is very old fashioned in its decor and its a bit like stepping back into the late 70's/early 80's in terms of the atmosphere that you experience when you stay here.

We had booked a twin room and it was probably the smallest hotel room that I have stayed in for a while. Frankly if one of you was standing and moving about, the other really had to either sit on the bed or on the one available chair. The phrase 'big enough to barely swing a cat' somes to mind. Also important to bear in mind that the stay was not cheap. My friend and I were paying £55 night each, so frankly for that price one would expect better.The only saving grace really was that the room and the sheets were clean.

The whole hotel is in desparate need of a face lift and some upgrading, this includes the leisure facilities, which we decided not to try at all.

The (inclusive) breakfast was ok. A reasonable selection of both continental and cooked breakfast daily. However the quality of the coffee and the orange juice was not good.

The location of the hotel is not bad, it is right on the seafront and we did actually have a view of the sea - although we were in a room on the side so had to crane our necks! Its about 15 minute walk down the cliff to Bournemouth centre, actually quite a nice walk.

Having seen the 2 sister hotels (ie Cliffside and Cumberland), I would definitely recommend these as being far nicer in terms of decor. Actually there is also not much difference in terms of cost, so definitely would have recommend those over the Suncliff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m not quite sure in what respect the website description is “not accurate”, our mission statement is clear and there are photographs depicting the wide variety of different rooms we offer. The Suncliff is traditional sea side hotel and does not try to be a modern or have flashy decor. We are a comfortable and friendly 3* hotel. Due to the age of the building every room is different and if a guest ever tells us that they are unsatisfied with the room they have been provided with, we will always do as much as we can to offer an alterative where possible. We have just last week installed new coffee machines in the restaurant and have upgraded to a superior product in order to provide a better quality cup of freshly brewed coffee to our guests. Regarding the orange juice, this is not a comment I have received before, however thank you for bringing it to my attention, it is something I will look into. We are very fortunate with the location of the hotel, right on the cliff top overlooking the bay, we benefit from an amazing view especially when the skies are clear. As you mentioned, it is a short but pleasant walk into the town centre for local attractions and amenities.