“Excellent location with stunning sea views”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed in the Penthouse 'Harry' which has an amazing glass balcony, just a shame the folding glass doors couldn't be opened fully, so only had access to balcony through small door. We were told someone would come out Next day to fix the door but no one came, so told reception, again no one turned up, then the cleaner told us it couldn't be open as past guests had broken it, would have been nice if someone on reception had told us that in the beginning,so beware if you are offered Harry as a Penthouse room, don't expect the sliding double doors to open, but the balcony does have the most amazing views.
Staff were friendly especially the barman at night. Entertainment was on every night while we we're there, but there are different lounges and a conservatory to go in if you want a quiet night. bar prices for beers and bottles were a decent price, just the bottle of wines that were overpriced, but as we had a balcony, barman gave us ice and we chilled our own wine and sipped it on the balcony.
Breakfast is nice, cereals, tinned fruit and there was melon at the weekends, the cooked buffet was very good indeed.
The swimming pool was ok for a 3 star hotel, we noticed a lot of complaints about the pool in previous reviews, but don't be put off, it's a nice warm pool, but don't expect the Ritz
The hotel and our room were very clean and if we were to stay in this area again, we would certainly come back, but just remember this is a 3 star hotel, some people expect to pay 3 star prices and get 5 star quality.
One big tip......after checking different hotel websites, we actually saved £170 by booking on the Suncliffe's own website for our 4 night stay so do your homework first before booking!! If you can afford it, get a room with a balcony, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

BlackpoolMouse

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I apologise about the patio door, after pointing this out to us we have booked in our external contractor to fix the problem. I am glad you had a lovely stay and enjoyed the food, pool and your penthouse room.
Booking direct with the hotel or on our website is always a better option and as you pointed out normally cheaper.

I hope you will return again soon and thank you once again!

There are newer reviews for The Suncliff Hotel

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed one night on a business trip. My colleague booked the rooms, including dinner, a bottle of wine and a free cream tea. At 79 pounds this seemed a good deal, which it was. My main reservation as a frequent hotel stayer (and I am very experienced traveler!) was the size of the double room. I could hardly move around in the room, the wardrobe stuck out into the room like a great lump. For a single night with single occupancy it was fine, but if I had stayed there as part of a couple for a few nights on holiday I would not have been at all happy.
But the staff were very friendly and helpful, the meal was good value and the (free) house wine was OK. One other thing which drops the marking to 3 points was the noise of the buses in the car park below my window. Did they really need to keep their engines running for so long and did they have to start at 6.30 a.m.?.

Room Tip: Not above the car park!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
rcarley, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Bluekraut

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Suncliff, I’m glad that you found the staff members helpful; this is something we place great emphasis on at the Suncliff and it’s always nice to hear when this is appreciated. Due to their more compact size we do have a small number of rooms that we use for single occupants, judging from your photograph it appears this is the kind of room you were allocated. The hotel is a large old building, and as a result has a wide variety of different room styles and sizes; if ever you are unhappy with the room allocated we always do our utmost to provide an alternative where possible. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed dinner in the restaurant and it sounds like you made the most of one of the special offers that we often run. I do hope you chose to stay at the Suncliff hotel again in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend when on a mini break with a pal. The location was spot on, right opposite the sea and an easy 15 minute walk in to town. The car parking was easy and the check in process really good. The chap on reception was very helpful. We went to the room and to be honest I was a little disapointed, we had paid £105 per night for a twin and it was a little grotty. It's a good job we are friends too as the twins were separate by about 2cm. It was also very hot as we were above the sauna and gym area.

We went to the hotel next door to use their pool as its part of the same group and found we couldn't charge our drinks back to our room, not a problem though.

The Cumberland has clearly just had a refurb as its really nice, very boutique ish. However, there were a lot of stag and hen parties staying there so I'd imagine it would be noisy at night.

If going back to Bournemouth I'd probably stay again but in a better room.
The breakfast was lovely!

• Stayed: June 2013

ninjakitty

Thank you for your review, we are in a prime position for enjoying what Bournemouth has to offer, be that beaches or the shops and bars in the town centre and I’m glad that you made the most of the location. With regards to your room, we have a wide variety of rooms of different styles and layouts, some more modern and some more traditional. If you ever unhappy with the room you have been allocated, we are usually able to provide an alternative to more closely match your taste. The Cumberland hotel is one of the few Purposes built art-deco hotels in Bournemouth and as such has been decorated to reflect that, the Suncliff meanwhile is a more traditional seaside hotel and has been styled accordingly. All three of our Bournemouth hotels are a popular choice for stag and hen parties particularly in the early summer, don’t let that put you off though as there is always someone present 24/7 to ensure that “lively” guests keep the noise to a minimum to allow all our guests a good night’s sleep. I do hope you choose to stay at the Suncliff again in future.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We are currently staying in this hotel and have had to move from our penthouse room to a room on the 3rd floor due to the noise from a neighbouring room! The night porter was very helpful but had little control over our situation other than moving us to a room more peaceful! The room we had was a premium price and we had paid the extra as a treat for our mini-moon, however, due to a group of inconsiderate nonchalant teenagers this hotel let us down! We shall be complaining in the morning! Not happy, especially considering we were thinking of returning later in the year and recommending to friends and family!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Pigsy1
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Have just returned from a second short break at this hotel and again have not been disappointed. Yes it is a little tired in places and our room had a few niggly faults but it doesn't claim to be a luxury hotel and in my opinion is great value for money.
Sunday carvery was very good, the breakfasts are very good and the afternoon tea in the conservatory overlooking the sea was delicious-best scones I have had.
Love the setting up on the Eastcliff and a nice leisurely walk along the cliff top into the town centre for shops, buses.
The staff are all friendly and courteous making it a very comfortable friendly place to stay.
Hope to return soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Bloomfieldm2

Thank you for submitting such a positive review, I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently in the process of refreshing our bedrooms to bring them more up to date but as I’m, sure you can imagine with a hotel this size it takes time and is an ongoing programme, we do have a wide variety of rooms of various sizes and styles so we can usually meet most tastes. Our Sunday carvery is always popular, both with hotel guests and local residents, many of whom visit weekly to enjoy a delicious meal from our team of talented chefs. We really are in a wonderful position on the top of the cliff to make the most of beautiful sea views- even better if you’re enjoying a cream tea at the same time! I hope you return to the Suncliff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I have just enjoyed a week's stay at the Suncliffe Hotel. We found the hotel clean and comfortable and unlike so many others the Suncliffe retains it's own distinctive charm and character. I can't remember having stayed in any establishment over the years where the staff and the general atmosphere have seemed more friendly. The hotel is obviously well-run and that is reflected in the staff who are all very happy and relaxed. We found that all of our questions and requests were met with warm and genuine smiles and I especially liked the young lady on reception most nights who has a wonderful smile. How rare is that sort of happiness in this day and age?

The hotel stands with many others on the clifftops overlooking the sea with views stretching from the Isle of Wight to the Isle of Purbeck. The beach lies below the cliffs and is easily reached by several nearby routes. The Pierhead, Lower Gardens and the town centre lie about 20 minutes' walk away for the average walker.

The hotel has a number of leisure facilities besides the live entertainment. We especially enjoyed using the swimming pool in the basement. The reception desk are happy to safeguard your valuables and they even supply guests with towels. There are several other facilities in the basement including a sauna, two squash courts and a table tennis table. There is a tired pool table in an area near reception but this should be located elsewhere as there is not enough room around the table. This, combined with the two sofas also squeezed into the area making things even more cramped, spoils the game.

The inclusive full English breakfast is one of the best I can remember in any hotel. The restaurant opens for breakfast at 7.30am and the staff bring you tea or coffee. You can help yourself from a buffet containing a choice of cereals, toast and juices and then from a main buffet which includes scrambled and fried eggs, bacon, sausages, grilled tomatoes, hash browns, fried bread, baked beans.........Oh, my mouth is watering already - need I go on?! The breakfast is delicious and it really sets you up for the day.

I would recommend the Suncliffe Hotel to anyone. The en-suite rooms are comfortable and we enjoyed a good night's sleep every night. There are plenty of more modern and expensive hotels around of course but the Suncliffe stands out for it's character and happy atmosphere. Oh, and that breakfast is something special too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not located near the lift doors on each floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Andyvon

Thank you for taking the time to place such a lovely review, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and it seems like you made the most of the facilities we offer to our guests. We pride ourselves on our commitment to delivering excellent customer service with a friendly smile and it’s always great to hear when our guests notice this. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Suncliff in the future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had read the reviews on tripadvisor and was a little apprehensive about our stay. I initially didn't get the best impression. I had found a great deal on the hotels own website but when I contacted the hotel direct as I was struggling to book both a twin and a double room together, I was told by the reservation staff that they were fully booked so I couldn't take up the summer offer, as the internet was still showing availability I decided to take a chance and just book online and then had confirmation that the rooms were booked, so this seemed a little odd to start with. However once we arrived the young man on reception was so welcoming and accommodating. I was delighted that we were upgraded to sea view rooms and one of our rooms had a lovely balcony It really made our holiday special as the sea views are stunning from the front of the hotel,
I can agree with some of the reviews that parts of the hotel are a little tired but there is a obvious re-decoration project being carried out and once this is complete , I am sure it will be a great improvement, but overall it is clean throughout and has all the charm & character of a older hotel rather than the faceless characterless modern hotels. Our Breakfast was lovely and plentiful, the female restaurant manager is so helpful and pleasant and a real asset to this hotel. My daughter was presented with a slice of cake and candle on the morning of her birthday and sang to, which was a lovely personal touch. In fact the majority of staff were really friendly and helpful. the hotel is obviously very popular with the older generation but as a family with older children we really enjoyed our short break there. it is in a fantastic position across from the seafront, the cliff lift down to the beach is a short walk and buses run into town regularly if you don't fancy the 25 minute walk, but I must say if you are able, it's a lovely brisk walk especially along the seafront passed the delightful multi-coloured beach huts. Overall well worth a visit as Bournemouth is really pleasant, with lots to do. This is a good English seaside hotel with character and really lovely staff.

Room Tip: Seafront room worth requesting as the view is gorgeous.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Shoegirls

Thank you for your support by posting what I consider a true reflection of the Suncliff.

I personally never read to much into review sties when I look to stay in a hotel as we all have different tastes in style, food, and what activities we like to do.
The Suncliff is a more traditional hotel but what we can see standing out from nearly every review the food is good, the staff are amazing and we have certain facilities such as the indoor pool, nightly entertainment and the facilities in our sister hotels including Thai inspired spa, lido deck with heated outdoor pool and rosette awarded brassiere. I believe this makes us special and far ahead of the rest of Bournemouth.
People may argue that they prefer a travel lodge or premier inn as the rooms are more modern but they do not provide the service and facilities that we do and the location and views we have are second to none.
I am thankful to our guests new and old that support the hotel and the 80 staff within it, we all operate as a large family and our main focus is you, the guest, we deeply care about the welfare of our guests and the service they receive. We bend over backwards to ensure that each guest enjoys their time within the Oceana resort no matter where they are from or what age bracket they may fall into.
We will continue to improve our bedroom stock and our leisure facilities and the housekeeping will work hard on keeping their usual high standards but our main focus will always be customer service and focus as I feel this is the most important part of a stay.

Once again thank you for your review and I really hope to see you back again soon!