“Wonderful location”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #24 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We have just returned from a coach holiday to this hotel. The whole staff from the management to the restaurant staff and the cleaning staff are all so very friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. We paid extra to ensure a Sea view and while the view was amazing. The room was OK. Not really worth the extra, but friends in another sea view room had a much better one. It was clean and basic but comfortable.
The food in the restaurant was amazing and worth of a higher star rated hotel. The breakfast was a buffet with a superb selection and all HOT with hot plates too. Even though it was a buffet, the staff would get you anything you had forgotten or not seen.
We would not hesitate to revisit this hotel if we go to Bournemouth again.

Room Tip: Front sea view have a great vista. We were on 2nd floor and never heard any noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Di_Traveller11

Thank you for leaving your comments on TA, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your kind comments on to the staff. The views are amazing and our chefs work very hard on the menu's they produce.

I hope you return again soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Tired...very tired!!!!........we booked this hotel online, being attracted by some reviews and the description and photo's available however, our room was very poor, tatty carpet not fixed down properly, furniture worn to the point of needing a "skip", tiles coming off in the bathroom and tile grout black and mouldy, not to mention attempted and bodged DIY in the bathroom.
The bed and bedding were very poor, offering cheap duvet and pillows, wallpaper and paintwork chipped, generally grubby and dirty.

Having complained, we were upgraded to the penthouse suite which was more what we would expect for the price we paid, I would not pay an extra £80 per night for the penthouse it was just not that special.

On a positive note, our Sunday carvery and breakfast were good even if the staff were buzzing around leaving us feeling like we were eating in MacDonalds.

Oh......just to say, if you are over the age of 65 you should fit in here quite well.

Room Tip: Demand one of the rooms pictured on their website, don't just accept any room if not up to stand...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Thank you for leaving your comments regarding your stay at the Suncliff,

I am fully aware some of our undecorated rooms are of an older style and as stated before we do have a redecoration programme running to modernise them, I do however spend many hours checking the rooms in the Suncliff and one thing I do disagree with in your review is the word dirty. The rooms even though old are clean and provide all the facilities’ you would require for a relaxing break away. I also know that the room you were shown initially is requested often by guests due to its size and large terrace, but we all have our own tastes.
We always will help guests that are unhappy or have an issue and again my staff even upgraded you for free to one of the best rooms we have, a very modern penthouse room with amazing views and balcony.

I am glad to see you enjoyed your meals at the hotel, the carvery is amazing value and fresh and the breakfast is a very good selection above what is required for a three star hotel. I don’t however see the resemblance to a MacDonald’s?

Room tips: There is a picture of your initial room on our internet sites, under sea view terrace bedrooms....anyone reading this reply please feel free to have a look.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a short break. The staff here are exceptional - everyone of them go the extra mile and offer perfect customer service. What a total pleasure they are. Thier sister hotel has the same approach with a lovely outdoor pool. Would recommend here and we will return.

Adrienne R

Wow, short but sweet, what a glowing review, thank you so much!

Im sure this has given all the staff a well deserved boost and I am glad you enjoyed your time at the Suncliff.
I hope you will return to us in the near future where I am sure you will once again enjoy your stay.

My best wishes

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just back from a 6 day break @ Suncliff ,food & service wonderful as always plus a few special treats for my birthday like the cake & massive sparkler .The food is so good I had to use the pool & gym every day to try & burn off a few calories,both are free but in many hotels you pay to use the gym.Similarly I have stayed in palatial 4&5 star hotels that cannot live with the Suncliff for food & service .The Suncliff is not palatial but has the best atmosphere I have ever experienced but clients do book standard rooms &expect to get penthouse/sea views & complain when they can't get them without paying extra.This is definitely a"how can I help you hotel" & not just a script response,this applies to all staff from manager to porters,chambermaids,waitress,bar staff & of course reception who if you have a problem is the place to start I just mentioned our mattress appeared to have a spring poking through & within a very short time it was sorted,
Entertainers here are also very good especially Mick Moran & Carpentones who are great to dance to.I have lost count of the number of times we have stayed here always consistant quality & I would say the Valentine Gala dinner was probably the best dinner I have ever had.Looking forward to going again as soon as finances permit

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view they are incredible or if really want to splash out go for penthouse
1  Thank Geoff O

. Geoff O,

Thank you for your positive review of the Suncliff.

I love the fact you have captured the spirit of the Suncliff within your review! Good food, service and a friendly helpful attitude from all staff.

We work very hard to improve our product in all areas on a daily basis, using guest feedback and improving the hotel itself by updating bedrooms and facilities.

Regular guests always comment on how much we have improved over the years and support us by returning again and again. I personally thank you for your support and your kind comments regarding the staff it means so much and makes a very difficult job a lot easier, if only all guests were as positive and understanding in their comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future where I am sure you will once again enjoy the warm hospitality of the Suncliff Hotel

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Nice hotel with good helpful staff but the thin walls meant we didn't sleep too well as the noise from next door, inside the corridors and from the street just kept us awake and woke us up early. Ok but wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank redbourn
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

redbourn

Thank you for leaving your comments, I wish you contacted the reception and maybe we could have allocated you a quieter room. I am a light sleeper so know how annoying this can be. My staff would always try their best to help anyone having such issues.
I am sorry to see that you wouldn’t return. With the size of the hotel we have and 5 floors I’m sure we could allocate a quieter room if you did decided to return.
Best Wishes

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 days here, I paid a little extra for a penthouse suite as a surprise I couldn't have wished for more she loved it. After retiring 5 years ago we have been lucky enough to go away for a few days a year up and down the country staying in various hotels this one has definitely got our mark of approval. I could not fault the service,the cleanliness,the food and our room was fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff help if needed was always there. I would and have recommended the Suncliff Bournemouth. With one final word my special thanks go to Sam on reception who's lovely smile was there to welcome us. ( hope she gets employee of the month award )

Room Tip: Ignore nasty reports they'd probably pick faul with the Savoy.ok and if you reserve a penthouse...
1  Thank David L

David L,
I am so glad you both enjoyed your stay at the hotel and mainly the Penthouse suite.
I do hope you will visit again, and I will pass your comments on to Sam. She is new to the Suncliff but I feel she fits in very well, helpful with a bubbly personality.
My best wishes

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked a standard room in this hotel and had to go with my partner through a warren of corridors to find it. When found albeit clean and pleasant it was small and claustrophobic with views onto the back street, so I upgraded to a room with a sea view for £20 extra per night, The new room was much better with lovely views of the sea from the bed, perched as the hotel is on a cliff top and with bed quite high and window low. Two chairs and table by the windows too, so that was good.

They have an indoor pool which was tepid and murky, I suppose with chlorine, but good. The spa bath had been decommissioned as apparently too expensive to run, and they are still wondering about what to do in this area next. The sauna was just a towel drying room, with no emergency button, so I suppose this whole centre is rigged up for the old and retired, it is that sort of hotel. The adjacent hotels, to either side, have outdoor facilities, one a good pool and the other a ha'penny puddle with some greek effigies around it.

You can walk easily to Bournemouth from the hotel, along the road, or take the lift which you pay for or steps further down to walk along the promenade.

I did not dine there as the food looked too expensive and not worth the trouble, but that is my opinion. Breakfast was not included in the deal I got so I did not have it, as it would have cost £15 each which I deem to be far too expensive.

So in summary a nice enough hotel, but not one I would rush back to.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the rabbit hutches and get a room with a sea view

FleetwoodFan,

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your upgrade to a sea view room more suitable to your taste.
As far as the leisure is concerned the hot tub has been taken out of action not due to being too expensive, I’m not sure where this reason came from but because we are looking to install a facility that will be better received by our guests such as a steam room or experience shower.
The sauna is on a time control so I can only assume that if it was not very hot the timer had run out. We have a sign and telephone explaining to contact the reception and we would switch it back on for you.
How can you possible say the food looked too expensive and not worth the trouble, what are you basing this on? We give residents a discounted rate and for a four course menu at £21 I feel this is very reasonable. The breakfast is also only £5.95 for continental and £10.95 for the continental and Full English, this includes tea/coffee and choice of juices. Being a buffet you can choice what you like and pretty much have as much as you like so again I don’t understand why you thought this was £15.

I feel some of your comments are very misleading mainly with the value and worth of the food we serve also comments about rabbit hutches and not being able to afford to run the hot tub. Such comments are very unhelpful for the TA community and the Hotel.