“Windy cold dated”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Booked via work very dated poor bathroom/shower taps window wouldn't lock shut very windy and cold in room.
Staff couldn't understand when I tried to book an early breakfast so it was easier to not have one.carpet smells as I write this review on the floor next to loose electrical socket.

Room 208

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Sc03hey
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Sc03hey

I have inspected the room in question and the bathroom is fully functional with the amenities in working order. So i do feel your comments are unfair on this point.

I have had housekeeping clean the carpet and our maintenance team have been informed about the plug socket so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We supply every room with a breakfast order form which explains how to order a room service breakfast by hanging the it on the door; all out front office staff understand this so I’m unsure what the problem would have been.

I would say if you ever have any issues within your room just call me or my staff at reception and we would do what ever we can to help you and make you feel more comfortable.

I do feel it is a little unfair that you posted this review from your mobile while staying without even giving us a chance to handle your complaint.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,120)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for my partners birthday in January 2013 and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. After booking our stay at short notice, I contacted reception to ask if they done anything for peoples birthdays and they said, "unfortunately we don't do anything special but can arrange for our staff to sing Happy birthday or you can order a cake & balloons from us, or you are more than welcome to bring your own cake & we will store it for you". I asked how much they would charge & they replied, it depended on my budget. I said I was willing to pay £10-£15 for a balloon and smallish cake to which they charged my card £10 for both. My partner was surprised when he saw the balloon at our table in the evening and even more surprised when the cake came out with a 'fountain' in it & they sang to him. It was a lovely occasion & I can only thank the receptionist, Anita, for arranging all this + the restaurant staff for their help too. The room was lovely, we had a sea view room for £10 supplement, the only criticism we had, was that the bathroom was a bit dated and could do with a makeover as the shower was not very good either. Our buffet meal in the evening was very nice and so was our buffet breakfast too. We used the pool which was as warm as a bath, lovely, but unfortunately the hot tub was a cold tub! I did report it at the time & a young man was sent to look at it but we didn't get time to try it again the next day to see if it had been repaired as we only stayed the one night. We also used the snooker table (£1 a go) and the table tennis the following morning (free but with £5 deposit for bats and ball). but was not energetic enough to use the mini gym or squash! All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend to others and would stay again at the bargain price they were offering (£31 pp including the meal and breakfast).

Room Tip: Seaview room was lovely particularly as it was sunny both days and a lovely sunset, we stayed in roo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Karen T

Wow, a fantastic review and photo's, I am so glad you had an enjoyable stay, Anita is one of our little stars so I will pass your comments on.

I have heard some of our restaurant staff sing and I’m not sure you should be thanking me for that (ha ha) seriously they do make a big effort if they know its a special occasion. I am not sure why the hot tub was a cold tub my guess would be that is was earlier in the day and it had just been emptied and refilled. I apologise for this for this.

It sounds like you made really good use of our facilities which is great!

I hope you will return soon, maybe in the summer months so you can use Bournemouth’s fantastic beaches.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

this was such a charming hotel! i stayed for 2 nights only at the beginning of january, in the room "Clare". the staff was very friendly and accommodating. the room was a good size-- i was traveling alone, but would have been comfortable with a second guest. the room was tidy.. but there was the occasional cobweb, or spot of mold on the windowsill, etc. although other reviewers have raved about breakfast, it was only ok for me. oddly enough, the prunes and the coffee were my favorites! :). my room did not have a sea view, but i am sure some of the views are lovely!! i loved the location-- obviously very close to the beach, and also a close walk into town (i had to go to bournemouth university, lansdowne campus, which was about a 5 minute walk! perfect!). couldn't beat the price. unfortunately did not get a chance to use the other facilities-- spa, pool, fitness center, so i cannot comment on those things. thanks to the staff for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sweeetiepie33

sweeetiepie33

Thank you for leaving your comments on our page, the top floor rooms are lovely, and the town views are stunning. I apologise about the housekeeping issues and have past your comments on to be checked. Our location is very handy for the beach and town and I hope you will return soon!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just back from long weekend at Suncliff and would definately go back and recommend to others. Room was large, clean and nicely decorated. The food was excellent, always hot and good choice of menu. All staff were attentive to our every need and work extremely hard. Leisure facilities superb and the pool was like a warm bath, wonderful. Lovely views and the balcony was a bonus. Bus stop to town just outside but only £4.50 in a taxi.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank J1958-54

J1958-54

Thank you for posting your comments, it sounds like you really enjoyed your stay with us, the views are amazing and to be able to see your home (the Isle of Wight) from your balcony must have been pleasing.
I hope you will return soon and my best wishes for the New Year.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had high expectations from other reviews. My single room was tiny, bathroom miniscule. Very disturbed night due to noisy guests in next room, walls paper thin. No help from staff on night duty. Ironically I'd chosen not to stay with my undergraduate daughter to ensure I slept. What a mistake.Then finally having slept in the small hours awoken by trolleys or bins wheeled outside early this morning. Only one plug out of 3 working so could choose between kettle tv and hairdryer. I could go on...Won't be returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CheshireJoy

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review,

I apologise you didn’t enjoy your stay at the Suncliff, I do wonder why you never asked to move rooms as it is our policy to change a guests room if they are not happy. I have had maintenance check all singles rooms testing plus sockets and all are working so I am a little puzzled as to why this was not the case during your stay.

Our single rooms are of different sizes but we do provide a double for sole rate on accommodation for those who want a slightly larger room also we do try to upgrade guests where we can into doubles if we have availability. I am sorry we were not able to do this during your stay.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed in a penthouse room and the views are well worth it when the sun shines. The room was pleasant and nicely decorated but the balcony set up was a bit weird. Not sure if the partitions are fully in place but our room shared a balcony with the one next door and the window of the room on the other side. No problem in winter but you should probably check if you are expecting a private balcony in summer. Walls are very thin as well so hope to avoid noisy neighbours.

Communal areas were nice and had a well decorated look for an old hotel. Deep tissue massages in the sister hotel next door are highly recommended, best we have had. Overall would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Chris W

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TA, I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and will investigate the balcony set up with our maintenance team. I know we had a little trouble in some high winds not long ago so it may be that we are waiting for a new divider to be installed.

The views are amazing for the penthouse rooms and I would guess some of the best in Bournemouth. I am from the Isle of Wight so it is fantastic to be able to see this on a clear day. It really shows that the UK has some amazingly beautiful areas.

Having the beauty room next door is another little bonus of being able to use facilities in the three hotels as we run more as a resort.

My best wishes for the year ahead.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Lovely hotel situated extremely close to Bournemouth town but fair enough out to enjoy the lovely sea views and peaceful surroundings. A good 15min walk to town. Food was great both evening & breakfast. Leisure facilities good, reasonably clean and clutter free. Staff were very helpful and willing. Overall a clean and respectable hotel. Would definitely revisit.

The Kiwi 1985

Thank you for your review it really shows you agree that we are a good all round hotel offering good service, food, location, leisure and with clean surroundings.

My team and I work very hard to keep this reputation consistent and we will always try our best to help guests should they have any issues during there stay.

Once again many thanks for your support and I hope you come back soon.