The Suncliff Hotel
The Cumberland Hotel(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
$208
Orbitz.com
$78
$74
Orbitz.com
Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
$157
$77
Priceline
  • Pool
Riviera Hotel & Holiday Apartments(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
$74
Royal Exeter Hotel(Bournemouth)
$100
$83
Priceline
2,260 results
All reviewsthe penthousesea viewsunday carveryindoor poolrestaurant managercoach tripbit datedevening mealcoach partyreception staffshort breaksister hotelthe cliffair showself servicecumberland hotelenjoyable stay
Reviewed October 13, 2012

There are some very negative reviews on this Hotel and I have also noticed that on all Hotels I am researching there are very diverse reviews. I will give my HONEST and objective opinion before I give my opinion on these negative reviews (I find it extremely annoying the way some people use this forum for their own agenda and not for the purpose it is intended)

*Hotel overview - Very clean, comfortable and pleasant lounges and a very nice light and airy conservatory. Lots of places to sit and relax or meet with other guests. Hotel is in a very good location with great views of the sea. It took us 10 mins to walk into the town, 15 mins if we walked along the seafront (we walked down the zig zag path on the cliff but there is a cliff lift)
*Parking - we didn't have a problem and there were always spaces. The parking situation is made quite clear in the Hotel's information
*Health club - The swimming pool is very small and heated a bit too much for me but a cooler pool is my preference. It was clean with absolutely no trace of scum -(I am extremely conscious of the cleanliness around pools etc)
*Food -The Hotel excels in the food served. We had breakfast and dinner twice. Breakfast was hot, self service so as much as you can eat, good ingredients and very, very tasty. There was a great selection of all breakfast foods. The dinner was the best we have had in any English Hotel chain and we have stayed in several. It was also reasonably priced.
*Room - We had a seaview room. It was very clean, pleasant furnishings and a comfortable bed. Everything worked and we were not disturbed by noises etc. There were some signs of bits of wear and tear but very minor and with guests in and out of rooms constantly, splilling tea/coffee, dirty outdoor shoes etc it is impossible for any Hotel to keep rooms in pristine condition.I pay no attention to silly little photo's of a little tear in the paper or a random hair (proof of who's hair ??)
* Staff - This is the Hotel's piece de resistance. The staff are professional, friendly and very helpful - all of them, reception, maids, waiters etc etc. An example is the restuarant was full our first night (including a large number of senior citizens who were being treated with extreme respect and courtesy) All of the waiting staff were attentive, we didn't have to wait for the food but above all the staff seemed happy in their work and pleased to be of assistance - they made us feel special, I think the staff must have a good training programme.
This break was a suprise joint birthday present for my husband and myself from our children and they were worried after booking because of the reviews; they couldn't have chosen better.
**That brings me to those negative reviews. Ever wondered why some Hotels get several good/ excellent reviews then a handful of really bad, even slanderous ones. I want objective, reasoned opinions when I'm researching - not tirades of abuse. If I have a problem in a Hotel I bring it to the attention of the relevant people to deal with it and I do it in a courteous and civil manner. I have observed guests being extremely rude and demanding and in some cases abusive to staff. I know you pay for a service but that does not give the right to be abusive and then come on a site like this and continue the abuse (and no, I do not work in the industry or have any affiliation) If I feel a Hotel is not giving a good service or value for money I will say so. Rant over!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Pharyagem,

What can I say?

What an understanding, honest review that highlights frustrations from both hoteliers and customers alike about the use/mis-use of Trip Advisor.

Customer service is our forte and we work extremely hard to ensure guests enjoy their stay and as you put it feel special. We also work hard to rectify any issues that are pointed out to us during guests stay. However it is again frustrating when guests save up their niggles and then unleash online not giving us the opportunity to put things right.

It always is a pleasure to wake up in the morning, open trip advisor while I make my coffee and read reviews like this one. Apart from putting me in a great mood for the long day ahead I know that 80% of the staff will also be reading it too and will give them the boost and reward for their hard work and efforts.

SO..thank you, thank you, thank you!

I hope you return soon and I please seek me out when you do so I can thank you in person.

Best wishes

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I went there with my boyfriend for a weekend the swimming pool was run down craP. not spar like not pampering dirty! Food was crap we was suppose to get a sea view ended at back of hOtel and got woken up at 6! Because of the vehicles out side and the beds were not comfortable I wouldn't recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Aefoster
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

What a vicious, spiteful review!

From reading your review it seems to me that you requested a sea view and turned up expecting one when others had already paid and booked them so we were unable to upgrade you at that particular time. Due to you not getting this free upgrade you decide to attack the hotel in this way,
we accept any valid criticism but I do not accept such public displays and clear rudeness/ aggression that does not give other TA followers any informative comments which is what this site is really for. You even opened this account for just this reason.

I also find the wording offensive and we do not even have a spa at the hotel, we have a pool, hot tub and sauna only and never promote the fact we have a spa.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Booked through UK Girl Thing for a hen do package, hotel was in silver accommodation, we had used this package for a hen do in Manchester and the silver accommodation was the 'thistle' hotel which was brilliant.

LOCATION:
Not too bad in East cliff side of town not to far to walk although we got taxis there and back on our night outs, there is definitely closer hotels if that is your main focus. it is easy to find and is on the seafront.

PARKING
first bit of HELL!! the hotel has around 20-30 spaces if your lucky, there very small and in odd places there is deffo not enough for the amount of guests. They seem to be aware though as they say its fine to park in the adjacent hotels car park which I am assuming those guests do the same, twice 2 of our cars had to pay to park on the main road outside. and once we watched rats scumming about by the bins outside.

CHECK-IN
is at 14:30 and also they freeze £100 in EACH persons account as a deposit.

ROOMS
well, firstly our room! we had a 3 bed room, thought on first impressions it was fine 1 double 2 singles bathroom reasonable size. then we went out came back and there was a massive puddle formed on our windowsill, the water was coming thru the ceiling. the plaster was soaked and bowing!! it kept getting worse so we rang reception and asked for help, we then went to use a hairdryer and it sparked when we turned it on! checked the PAT test 2 months out of date.. rang down to reception and asked for them to send a new one and an iron when the man came up. half hour passed rang down and they said the porter was on his way, another 20 mins... nothing went down to reception and complained and within 5 minutes a man came up in uniform clearly not maintenance and put towels on the leak, said it would be a quick fix anyone with common sense could tell you it was not a quick fix, he did not offer us another room or tell us when it would be fixed. he did bring the iron that had a PAT test 4 months out of date and a new hair-dryer without one on..
friends rooms one was fine,decor up to date, the other one looked like and smelled like someone had died in it, pink ceramic bathroom-decor seriously needs updating!!
Noone ever came up to fix the puddle the maid just gave us new towels to put on it ourselves.. brilliant
and to top it off i had a massive bite on my leg and my friend two on her back, may possibly not be from the beds.. but i wouldn't put money on it, there was tea and coffee and an ok tv!!

BREAKFAST
included and was actually pretty good! although pretty small and queue got a bit long!

BAR
stayed open really late some prices bad but most ok!

SWIMMING POOL
included but DON NOT DO IT we went down and the jacuzzi was cold and stank of chemicals. the pool has a green scum line staining the wall the whole way round, my nail polish was nearly gone when I got out work in a leisure centre that is not right!! too many chemicals.

overall I would never go to this hotel again and would never recommend it!! I have pictures of the hotel have a look

Room Tip: apparently there are sea view rooms!! try get one of them or you will have the ratty car park!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rebbecca_1

Rebbeca_1

The Suncliff hotel is a traditional seaside hotel we do not boast to be the most modern and we don’t boast to be higher than a 3* rated hotel. We do however pride ourselves on the first class customer service.

Through your very negative review one thing I would say is that we were there to help when ever you had an issue and we tried our best to rectify it.

To go through your review point by point

The car park can hold 79 cars and we do have the two sister hotels next door. Failing this there is car parking on East Overcliff drive that is free from 5pm-9am and even through the day the charges are minimal. Now I personally think this is very acceptable especially when other hotels in the area are charging up to £20 for you to even use their car park.

Like nearly every hotel I have worked in we take bonds for single sex groups. We however inform any guests that book direct with us at the time of the booking or inform the companies that use us to book such groups into the hotel so that they can inform the guests.

I do apologise about the leak in your room, it is a larger job then first thought and due to the harsh weather we have been having of late. Being nearly full we did not have a room to move you to but did the best we could during your stay. The Pat testing (portable appliance testing) is underway at the hotel and does take time due to its shear size but we do perform this yearly when really it should be done every 2 years. Also any new items only need testing after one year.

Bournemouth due to the weather being wet yet humid has had an influx of mosquitoes this year. With our location we do get the mosquito enter through windows, this is out of our control but would explain an odd bite. I personally have had a few my self.

I do not understand how a buffet style hot English breakfast and a cold continental buffet breakfast can be small, surely you help yourself to more if you are hungry?

Our bar prices are very competitive with local hotels and we even have a value choice selection and promotions on to offer even better value.

The leisure facility is used by the three hotels and by a water baby glass 2 mornings a week. We have a maintenance team that check it daily and an external company that check it weekly. If it was as bad as you say it was I would have thought that I would have had more complaints. Checking the file no unusual levels are shown.

In summary I really apologise that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your stay, I feel some of your comments are valid and my team and I will put them right. However I also feel that some of your comments especially about the breakfast and leisure are very unfair.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Booked a seaview room (305) for an anniversary weekend, the room was small with old furniture and a grubby carpet, but the bed was very comfortable.
The bathroom although clean was in desperate need a bit of TLC.
The breakfast was buffet style, the food although plentiful was very poor quality from the cereals to the cooked - it reminded me of Motorway Service station food in the 1970's
To end on a positive though - the staff were very friendly and helpful and deserve high praise.

Room Tip: The seaview rooms on the front of the hotel are prone to noise from the road and wedding parties especially at week-ends.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

I would like to thank you for your feedback on the Suncliff

With reguards to the room we are undergoing bedroom audits to make sure our standards are kept in check with company policy. We are currently upgrading carpets and beds as an ongoing refurbishment programme. I am a bit puzzeled to your comment about noise from the road and weddings as we dont tend to hold many weddings at the hotel this time of year and being on the 3rd floor im surprised the traffic was so loud it disturbed you.

Your comments reguarding the Breakfast again are unusual as we recieve many positive comments, such as the review below. I also am in the breakfast room most mornings and feel that for a three star we offer a quality breakfast and as you said in plentiful supply.

I thank you for your comments reguarding our customer service as this is a big focus of ours.

Best Wishes

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in October 2012, cannot praise enough, superb, polite service from all the staff here. Breakfast plentiful and good, Dinner also. Penthouse room with superb seaviews over Bournemouth and Boscombe

Will certainly use this group of hotels again, other hotels could learn a lot about customer service from these guys.

1 very small gripe that there is a tad too much chlorine in the spa pool, but that is the only gripe!

Thank you for an excellent weekend away.

Bracknell_Taz

Thank you for a super review, we as mangers and the Heads of departments within the hotel work very very hard in training our team to be customer focused and it is and endless task so it is very rewarding when I see reviews like yours. Our penthouses are a lovely addition to the hotel and if you can afford a little extra are well worth taking advantage of. The views are amazing and I must admit are probably the best on the east cliff.

The pools and hot tub are checked daily but will double check with our head of Maintenance that everything is as it should be.

I hope you return to us in the near future!

Best wishes