The following applies to room 225 at the Connaught Lodge. Comments from other residents imply that it also applies to some other rooms; I don't know how many.
- For some reason, the bedroom and storage area are split, with curtains only across the space between them, so anyone can look in on the storage (dressing) area from outside. Not very convenient if you have to walk around in a state of undress because of the problem mentioned below.
- My two days were both sunny and the windows became an outsize, very hot radiator, converting the whole room into a sauna. They could at least install blinds on the outside to prevent this happening, which would also cure the first problem I mentioned by covering the windows. Even curtains on the outside windows with a white surface facing out would help.
- The shower room is a joke. To pee, you have to edge in sideways and lean on the wall, because the wash-basin stops you standing up straight. Sitting down on the toilet is a little easier, but you still have the problem of edging in.
- The shower head is fixed and right above the centre of the shower area, so it is virtually impossible to use soap because it gets washed off immediately. The shower head is also at the perfect height to bash your head on it whenever you move, and I am not particularly tall.
I wouldn't stay there again.
I did receive apologies from David Miller (owner and managing director) and Paul Plumley (general manager), but for the sake of two days I am not going to make a bit thing out of it, so I didn't bother to reply to them. Since I am also not going to stay here again, there is not much they can offer me as compensation. I only get to the UK once a year, and I would not risk it again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly refurbished, AA 4 star Connaught Lodge offers smart and comfortable en-suite accommodation and is centrally located on the West Cliff being just 500m from the town centre, the BIC, Pavilion Theatre, pier and those golden, sandy beaches. Free WiFi, Free Parking and complimentary membership of the Bluewater Spa, located in the adjacent Best Western Connaught Hotel, is available to all Lodge guests. The spa has an 18m swimming pool and spa pool, a luxurious, fully tiled eucalyptus steam room, a superb sauna, 2 gymnasiums and a massage and beauty therapy suite. After a relaxing day in the Spa why not enjoy a superb dinner with first class wine in Blakes', the Connaught's award-winning, double rosette restaurant, also located in the main building, where Nick Rutigliano, the Maitre d', and his team will serve you with superb food, freshly prepared by the Head Chef, Ben Nicol and his young team of highly qualified chefs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Connaught Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.