“What more could you ask for?”
Review of Hotel Celebrity

Hotel Celebrity
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Radlett, United Kingdom
“What more could you ask for?”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in November. I had booked a single room but upon arrival I was given a free upgrade to a double. Breakfast was included in the price.

Staff were polite, friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfortable with pristine bedding and a substantial duvet. This was one of the rooms that has yet to be refurbished but it was all I needed, and I wasn't bothered by some squeaky floorboards. There was a function under way when I arrived, but as promised, it ended at 9 pm and the hotel was blissfully quiet.

I have stayed in many luxurious and expensive hotels across the world and the Celebrity was the best value by a long, long way. On top of this, compared with hotels costing multiples more, it had the following advantages:
I wasn't disturbed by people banging doors and shouting at all hours of the night;
the wine was reasonably priced and palatable, unlike the £15.00 glass of undrinkable Pinot Noir I recently had at an 'upmarket' hotel;
I wasn't kept awake all night by the sound of an air conditioning unit outside my window;
I didn't have to cough up extortionate amounts of money for obligatory valet parking - the parking was free

So thanks to all at the Celebrity and good luck to the owner with the ongoing themed refurbishment. If I'm ever in Bournemouth again I shall certainly be staying here.

Bernie Herts

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Bernie, thankyou for a very kind review that covers all the points. Trust to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My most recent stay was 2 nights from the 23rd October 2012 but I have stayed several times. Every visit has been excellent, from the friendly, helpful staff, through the quality breakfast, to the tremendous value. The refurbished bedrooms also hit the spot.

The only slight disappointment was the lack of the advertised room service food on the afternoon I was there.

This is my Hotel of choice for my regular business and personal visits to Bournemouth and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for a very kind review Jon. We appreciate your staying with us and hope to se eyou again. Sorry about the lack of advertised room service. We had pulled all the room folders out of the room to update and to insert our new menus. We charge £3 for room service and that can be breakfast, a burger or full evening meal.
Berkshire
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I returned home yesterday after three nights at this great hotel.
Wow is all I can say. It was excellent.
We had a newly decorated room. It was spotless and so comfortable.
The bed was huge and it was comfortable.
A big flat screen telly.
The bathroom is lovely. Spotless, clean. The power shower was so good.
The buffet breakfast was excellent. Plenty of it and so much choice.
The staff are a real asset to this hotel, nothing was too much trouble.
Every member of staff was so polite from the house keepers right through to the restaurant staff.
The creaky floor boards are being fixed and there is a lovely new carpet being laid on the second floor.

The owner is putting in a lot of money and effort into this hotel and it shows!!
The owners must be so proud of their lovely hotel and excellent staff team.

We can not wait to return with our two children for a family break.
I will be recommending this hotel to friends. My parents are already looking at booking after our excellent experience.

Book it you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thankyou Sarah for a very kind review. My only advice would be if you are bringing the children make sure you get a quiet area room if arriving over the weekend as we do have functions most weekends. But there are quiet family rooms away from the function areas.
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

we spent 2 nights here and thought breakfast was value for money, room was nice and clean but was very hot and we had to have the fan on, drinks are very pricey £8.10 for a large red wine and pint of lager with 10% discount... otherwise good location and worth £42 per night..

Room Tip: take a hairdryer
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Mark, thank you for your review. I remember replying to it at the time but it appears not to have been printed on the site, maybe forgot to press the submit button. Trust to see you again as you don't live so far away and we are a good location for a weekend away.
lancashire
Reviewed October 30, 2012

What you see really is what you get with this hotel. For £49 on a Friday night we had a clean double room with a large bathroom, an excellent comfy bed, and good choice of full English breakfast (the granary toast was superb) as well as free parking on site which alot of the more expensive hotels don't have. The location is excellent for an easy walk to the Pavillion Theatre, local restaurants and beachfront. The staff are friendly and helpful. For the price we paid you really can't complain. We could pick fault (the standard of the work in the 'newly reburbished' room 256 and bathroom was disappointing; there was no hot water for the bath at 5pm - but the shower was electric and totally acceptable for a budget hotel; the potatoes at breakfast were obviously reheated and rock hard but who expects potatoes with breakfast anyway!) but for £49 we were very happy with what we got and would definately stay again. To be honest if I were the owner I'd ditch the 'celebrity' theme and spend the money on better tradesman who are doing the refurbs and just keep to a neutral theme throughout.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for a very nice review. You ended the review 'To be honest if I were the owner I'd ditch the 'celebrity' theme and spend the money on better tradesman who are doing the refurbs and just keep to a neutral theme throughout.' To explain why the Celebrity theming which we started on 1st March 2010. I once stayed in a very expensive hotel for some 4 months and was bored out of my mind - this was in Asia and I often ate at the 'street stalls' rather than yet another employer paid expensive meal at the hotel. Nothing to do with the hotel just it was 'a neutral theme throughout'. I'm not a hotelier...i'm an accountant and very much in the John Cleese mode - I genuinely enjoy being a good 'bread and butter' accountant......I used to take businesses from receivership sort them out financially and sell them on, takes about 5 years....and initially that is how I acquired this hotel. However after I bought it with a view to sorting its problems out and selling it on I found that a 'remote' relative had owned the original building on the site, (and sold it to Tony Hancock's parents - if you don't know who Tony Hancock is ask your 'parents/grandparents). also that my Grandfather had convalesced at the original building on the site during the First World War. So there was a family connection. I was also 62 years old and getting a bit long in the tooth to continue with very stressful receiverships. So I decided to take this hotel on 'long term'. I set out a 10 year plan to create a fully Celebrity themed hotel. By the by the room you stayed in isn't one of the refurbished rooms. The refurbished rooms are the 'celebrity themed' rooms. To give an idea of what is involved in theming a bedroom. We go back to brickwork, (literally), often fit damp proof / insulation material on any outside wall. New electric wiring throughout the room, re-plaster. New decoration, new furniture, new carpeting etc. complete new bathroom. We even take up the floorboards, put sound insulation material under and if the floorboards are 'old and a bit creaky' replace the whole floor. The celebrity theming comes 'last' in this process. Some are easy, (like the Johnny Cash room), as I am a fan so had read a couple of books and have most of his music. Others like Bruce Springsteen was someone I heard a couple of songs of so it involved buying a couple of books, playing most of his music etc. That way by immersing myself in the celebrity I can create in the bedroom a genuine reflection of what I see as key to the fame of the individual. Some it is a part of their career, some it reflects their whole career. The theming is done by pictures, (sometimes tongue in cheek), and by a 'write-up' for people to take away as a mememto of their stay in that particular room, (I am behind with this as all the write-ups are being re-written to give a more in-depth review.) Some guests clearly like what is being done, for example the ghost story which was the first I researched and put down on paper we have now had over 1,200 copies taken by guests. This is very much a long term project. I figure to be around 75 when we have fully completed everything I want to do - and then of course you start all over again as the first bedrooms done will need complete renovation. As a family we are committed to the long term ownership of the hotel, (my father's ashes are in the garden as is the family dog I owned when we bought the hotel), and the name and concept is trade-marked. Strangely enough virtually every prior owner of this hotel has gone bust, (many put it down to the malevolant influence of the ghost), and all have lost money. We have gone from strength to strength since starting as Hotel Celebrity so maybe in offering a quirky theming we are not 'alone' in thinking it enlivens the experience. Oh one final point, virtually all the work here is done by long term staff - we rarely use contractors - the standards of completed work is reflected in the 'themed' bedrooms. There are other 'updated' bedrooms done before 1st March 2010 but not by this team - that is one of the rooms you stayed in. Our themed rooms are completed to a high standard - but we can only do around 6 - 8 a year due to time and money constraints. But we will get there and by the end we will have a uniquely themed hotel experience.
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is the third time we have now stayed at the hotel celeb.it was our wedding venue and have been back every year since.we will continue to do so every year as our time there is very relaxing and the staff are like friends to us. Its an overall wonderful place.

• Stayed October 2012
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for a very kind review - hope to see you again.
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night with my daughter as we had attended an open day at Bournemouth University. We had a huge room at the front of the hotel, room 243. The room was lovely, warm, big, very clean (smelled really nice) and lovely comfy beds and duvets. Breakfast is self service hot and cold....this was excellent, taken in a nice room too. I would definitely recommend this hotel, only a 5 minute walk to the beach, shops and pubs/bars/restaurants (which there are loads of). I have paid a lot more for a much lower standard room in Bournemouth before but will go back here next time i visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for a very kind review. We are busy at the moment re-carpeting upstairs and we are awaiting our 'wi-fi' contractor to install a new system that will be hotel wide, (we currently offer wi-fi on the ground floor only). When these two jobs are done we feel we have done a great deal for our clients this year, (which included new beds to every bedroom, new 32" tv's throughout, (except 3 singles that have smaller new flatscreen tv's), air-conditioning to the main breakfast restaurant, a new 'look' at the entry to the hotel with some £20K of new plants etc. etc. We look forward to seeing you again with the new wifi installed and the carpeting finished.