“Brilliant!!!”

Russell Court Hotel
Ranked #120 of 133 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 17, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
There are newer reviews for Russell Court Hotel

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Outdated, shabby room with an archaic bathroom. Staff rude and unhelpful. £5 per night charge for car park which is not made clear until arrival. Breakfast average at best. Only plus, in good location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I wouldn't go back to this hotel again if they said i could stay for a penny a night!! when i got to the hotel i was told i would have to pay 5 pounds a night for parking (most hotels around the same area do it for free) then because my partner had the car and i had quiet a heavy bag with me i asked could i leave it there till check in time that was no problem if i paid two pounds (again never had to pay money for leaving a bag in a hotel) that night i decided to book another night as i didn't want to have to drag bags to the next place or have the hassle of packing up. I booked the room online and when i got up in the morning i told the man on reception i was booked in for another night just to make sure he knew. he said that should be fine he then had to speak to the manager and then told me i would have to check out at 11 with all my baggage and check back in at 2 unless i wanted to pay 20 pound to stay in the room i asked the manager what the problem was that all they had to do was tell the cleaning staff to not go into that room to which he replied its hotel policy. i was absolutely discussed, i asked if there was anyone above him i could talk to, he told me no. i went back to my room very upset not knowing what i was going to do with my luggage as at this stage i refused to give this money grabber a penny more to leave my bags behind the counter of the hotel( 2 pound per bag) afew minutes later the phone rang it was the "manager" saying he had spoked to his superior and i could stay then slammed down the phone without saying another word. at this point the damage was done. ive stayed in quiet afew hotels in the area and some have been cheaper and alot better and none have been any worse. they just ruined my time there. I feel sorry for the poor guy on reception as he is polite and is just taking orders as for the manager dont know where they got him out of he needs to take afew classes in customer service and stop ripping people off!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank catherined23
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed at the Russell Court hotel in Bournemouth as part of a large group of amateur winemakers from Hampshire & Surrey. We have stayed here for several years now. Right from the start we were made extremely welcome and that has continued. Our rooms are very clean and comfortable and the food is very good too. As much as we all look forward to our annual visit, so do the staff. It is a good indication of how well run the Hotel is when we see the the same members of staff each year.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear and side are quieter than those facing the main road. Especially at night when the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at the hotel over the easter weekend and was very pleased! We left it late to book as it was a last minute trip. We needed 3 double rooms and we wasnt disapointed as staff wer helpful in getting us the double rooms instead of twin. We also had a 10 week old baby with us and staff couldnt be more helpful in helping carry the pram up steps and hot water for the dropped dummy with out even asking. As we had the baby with us we couldnt go many bars after a certain time but staff were wiling to keep the bar in the hotel open for us to have a drink in .

The rooms were very clean and we were all very impressed with our rooms and modern bathrooms. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others. Some reviews say that it is noisy but none of us experenced this. We were the youngest in the hotel ranging from 23-27 and the baby but guests in the hotel loved the baby and didn mind the odd time she cried.

All in all a very good stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed on valentine’s night 2013 on my own, as I was attending an interview the following day. The price of the room was great, was surprised it was so cheap! But when I got there I realised why it was so cheap. Upon my arrival I was asked to take a seat in the bar area, where I waited for over 10 minutes while the receptionist was on the phone, checked another couple in and had an argument with a lady who was maybe complaining about something. It then seemed to take a very long time to check me in, and considering he didn't tell me anything about dinner or breakfast etc (although I was on room only, it would have been nice to be informed) I am unsure how he seemed to drag it out so long. The decor inside and in the rooms is a little old fashioned, but that doesn’t matter it is only personal taste. I was in a single bedroom which was freezing! My radiator didn't come on all night; I used a small heater placed very close to my bed. I called down to reception in the hope of getting a mug, the gentleman on reception told me he was very busy and that he couldn’t guarantee anyone would be able to get me one, so I should go down to get one myself. I went to the bar to find the barman standing around doing nothing with an empty bar... Not sure why he couldn’t have done it for me. Although they didn’t have any anyway, surprising that the receptionist didn’t know that! Being valentine’s day my partner had some flowers delivered to the hotel, and when asking if they could be placed in my room before my arrival they said they would have to charge their room service price (maybe £2.50) so instead I had to carry all my luggage and some flowers to my room. Being a receptionist in a very well known hotel group in Devon, I am maybe a bit particular; however I have been taught customer service skills, and do not feel the staff at this hotel know much about great customer service!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank WestcountryGirl323
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We only needed a room for one night as the drive back home would be more than 3 hours, we felt that the price we paid was decent. Whilst the reviews concerned us, all we wanted was a clean room to put our heads down for the night.

Before even getting to the hotel, we had problems, it clearly stated on the Expedia booking page and the confirmation email that my card would be charged on departure, it wasn't. The hotel took the money the next day. When I pointed this out to the hotel owner, he was exceptionally indifferent and said that it was Expedia's fault and when asked if he was going to speak with them he kept dismissing it as not being his problem. At booking, we had asked for a double, as most normal couples would, however as I challenged the owner about the card payment, he told the reception staff (who were in contrast quite lovely) to change the room to 215, when originally we had been given 306. I'm quite sure this was because I challenged him as he took great pleasure in telling me that they couldn't guarantee double room requests from bookings and that we were unable to have a double room but a twin instead. As there could have only been 4 other people in the hotel that night I knew what he was up to and couldn't be bothered to argue any more. I accepted defeat as I'd make sure prospective customers knew the hospitality to expect at this hotel and take heed of my experience before booking themselves, a mistake I made myself, it's a hotel with poor review for a reason!!!!

The rest of the staff employed here were all very nice, however it irritates me to give proprietors my hard earned money if they don't deserve it - which he clearly didn't. I'm not quite sure what the Hotel Inspector would make of the behaviour and attitude that I witnessed. I wouldn't dream of treating my customers like the way we were and I shall ensure that everyone I know is aware of my experience here as until the attitude of the owner drastically changes by improvement, I consider that people should spend their hard earned money elsewhere. At the end of the day we're in a financial crisis, whilst people accept that hoteliers are not in a position to modernise their establishments to adequate standard, you are able to overlook this if the quality of service compensates for this.

I have to say that the shower was lovely, but I won't return because of the shower as I'm sure there are many lovely showers in Bournemouth. Had it not been for the way I had been treated by the owner I would probably returned if I needed another bed for one night in Bournemouth.

But then I suppose I can only blame myself, as the age old adage says, you get what you pay for and I certainly did that!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple