“Definitely one to return to!”

Riviera Hotel & Holiday Apartments
Ranked #17 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I will firstly start by saying that this is an excellent hotel. Lunch was amazing, with valentine cocktails also living up to expectation. Apartment room was lovely, very homey and one of the best nights sleep I have had in a while.

Valentines dinner was exceptional, the sea bass was cooked to perfection and the chocolate dessert topped it all off.

I cannot fault the staff and their efforts to go above and beyond to make our stay the best it could possibly be.

After viewing both the indoor swimming pool and spa, I was absolutely gutted that I did not have enough time in my stay to visit it.

I will definitely be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SCEHN

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel was excellent. The food was 1st class rooms very clean, staff very friendly and helpful,would highly recommend a stay. The hotel boasts a swimming pool. Short walk to the beach. Large shopping centre. My friends all agreed this hotel was a really enjoyable stay.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2013

After staying at the Riviera I was so satisfied that when I left, I was determined to write something about it. Finding a negative review on here seriously shocked me because the only criticism of the place was that the locally sourced Jazz band who played at dinner were slightly too loud...not much of a deal breaker! And they were good!

They're very service orientated at the Riviera and like in some magical fairytale, they'll do what they can to make your dreams come true! Within reason. I still can't fly.

I called up two days before Valentine's and as with the tale of the baby Jesus, there was no room at the inn, apart from an apartment. While of course not ecstatic about having to pay a little more, I was encouraged by the lack of space and took them up on their offer.

It was a Valentine's treat and I also booked the special dinner for two, which was delicious.

Immediately as the room was available I was able to make the most of it and prepare it for my night, the staff even supplied me with champagne glasses and a cooler for the night.

Service. 100%

The apartment was well situated, has great accessibility with private parking just outside the front.

Lounge: Spacious, styled with contemporary fittings, well lit, clean.

Kitchen: Well equipped, clean.

Bathroom: Modest colour tones set quite a relaxing atmosphere and the bath was huge, quite a treat for a tall guy like myself.

Bedroom: Massive, elegantly decorated, the bed was extremely comfortable, bedding was as nice.

In addition to this it was so hot we had to open windows for a little while. Coming from a house which freezes bare appendages in seconds, this was a real gift.

An amazing night. An amazing place. Credit to Silva and Claire for making my Valentine's so special. THANK YOU!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DKSOS
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon in 1982, before the fire and the refurbishment.

It was basic but was a lovely place then, so friendly and was put in the best room with amazing views.

The food was included in the price and of a very good standard. We had lovely memories of the place.

Fast forward to January 2013

We are having to endure long term building work around us at our flat and needed another place to stay to escape the noise.

Upon looking around for reasonable quality affordable self-catering accommodation, of which there is a severe shortage in Bournemouth, we chose this hotel as it had been refurbished and the reception staff were OK, but not overly friendly, when we rang them to look at the apartments. Clare was lax about ringing me back when they said she would. She was rather surly to deal with as well. Sylva was much nicer to deal with but I rarely saw her.

The rooms are basic and needed an upgrade, such as having wobbly taps in the bathroom in Apt 11, but they were clean and well equipped with basic items needed to live in an apartment. The old fashioned lift is quaint and remember the hotel having this lift as well.

Upon entry, a couple of the radiators didn’t work and it was a freezing time (mid January 2013). I had a bad night’s sleep as the bathroom was Baltic and with their single glazing windows, there was a draft under the door coming from the bathroom, even with the door closed.

I rang reception at 9.30am the next morning to report this and needed it sorted quickly as it was too cold to use the bathroom. I waited until 10am, still no-one came across, I rang again. Still no-one came at 10.30am. I was getting irate as I was freezing, needed to get ready to go out and had to rearrange an appointment. Eventually someone came and repaired it. After that the room was toasty warm which was welcome during this cold snap. The 2 men who repaired the radiators (Richard was one of them) were good to deal with.

A couple of days later, I was being woken up by another resident banging the doors loudly at 7am and they banged doors late at night around 11pm. I noted this and it happened again the next day. I had rented this place to escape noise and disturbance. I am aware people get up early to work but there are people who work shifts or want to relax, so felt they were being inconsiderate.

I rang reception to complain about this as Tony, the manager said he would put notes under the doors of people around me. He was very easy to talk to and felt he would sort this out. For the next two days, the noises continued. It was difficult to locate the offending person.

I was told by Tony to ring reception at the time of the noises, so on the third day of doing this after being woken yet again with loud banging doors and rang reception as instructed.

Clare replied (who never gave her name on reply, and had to ask who I was speaking to each time) about 8am and she had defensive attitude, saying to ring when the noise was happening which I had just done but it is difficult because they have gone in the morning by the time they get there and they suggested moving me.

There was building noise at the other end of the block – the room I had been allocated was the furthest away and was happy in my room apart from the noise.

I have been a fan of their Facebook page and wrote some good and bad comments about the place. I also receive emails from them about events and offers.

Next thing I noticed, I was unable to write comments and had mine deleted on their Facebook page, which aroused suspicion, anyone who deletes negative comments on their page is cowardly. One comment was about the overbright lighting in the restaurant which I could see from my room and it put me off dining in there.

I emailed Sylva, got a received message, but didn’t get a reply.

At this point, I was livid.

I rang Tony but he was rarely available but when I got to talk to him, I told him I wanted to leave early and asked for a refund for time I had left. He did offer me a room in the hotel but it didn’t have the facilities I needed that the apartments had. I declined and asked for a refund. When I went to collect my things from the apartment, I wanted to tell him the above but he was too busy in a meeting to see me and gave the receptionist permission to refund the difference in full.

I waited this long for a reply to my email before writing this report. I feel they aren’t interested in feedback, given that they delete negative comments from Facebook and emails were ignored. I wanted to praise the good in the hotel as well but they have denied me this as well.

I am upset that some of the (reception) staff aren’t so good as before and emotionally they have tainted a happy time I had staying there before.

I expect to get a defensive reply from them in response but as they have denied me access to Facebook, ignored my emails and feel they won’t respond if I write to them, I therefore leave this bitterly disappointed review.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms have a great view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CCC22
rivman2008, General Manager at Riviera Hotel & Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear CCC22,

Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in the holiday apartments. Our aim is to ensure all of our guests are well looked after and that they all have an enjoyable break with us. I am saddened to hear your dissatisfaction with our management team; one of the main areas our hotel prides itself on is the excellent customer service we provide.
We are surprised with your comments as you have met Claire and Silva, and when Claire showed you around you mentioned how lovely Claire was. Claire has been an outstanding member of our management team for several years now and has always received positive feedback, as have Tony and Silva however I will personally meet with them to discuss this matter.
With regards to the email that you sent to Silva, it clearly states that you were not to be disturbed, hence not receiving a reply. When the time came for Silva to respond you had unfortunately checked out before a resolution could be sent.
You mentioned that you have written good and bad comments on Facebook. The reasons behind us removing the comments were that they were not relevant to what we were trying to say and if we felt that the comments were damaging. We were simply sharing pictures with our Facebook friends.
We are a family based hotel and holiday apartments, we are really sad that we have been unable to meet your expectations. I will discuss this with all of my team. If you ever wanted to give The Riviera another chance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Average price = average hotel. Average room, average swimming pool, less then average view from balcony. We had difficulty parking the car. There isnt much around this hotel other then a resturant on the sea front. Its a 25 minute walk into bournemouth. Staff seemed nice. Good for a cheap getaway for a few days. Becareful of seagulls on your balcony.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sweetpotato25

Thank you for your feedback, I will pass your comments on to my team.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here on regular occasions, the hotel is always clean, staff are polite and the location is great. If you are looking for a relaxing quiets nights sleep this is the place to come. The bathroom is always spotless and the shower works well which is rare for a hotel. Highly recommended

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jamiedorset

Thank you for your fantastic review. All of our hard work pays off when we receive such positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Riviera Hotel & Apartments in the near future.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

A well presented and looked after hotel out of town but a short walk to beach at alum chine 15 mins walk to town centre via the beach under cliff road

Nice pool rooms excellent with balcony which is handy for us smokers

Car parking too which apparently is rare in Bournemouth

Very cosmopolitan town and clean everywhere as is Poole too

Very professional staff

can't wait to come back when it warms up

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank paulwestsussex

Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Riviera Hotel & Apartments in the Summer.
Kinda Regards