“Dog friendly? Not exactly”
Review of Denewood Hotel

Denewood Hotel
Ranked #42 of 131 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Chose this hotel as it was listed as dog friendly and when I phoned to book I double checked. When I checked in though, I was told she wouldn't be allowed in the dining room so I couldn't have breakfast which was very annoying.
Room was nice, if a little dated and in need of a really good clean. Great bed and a hot shower.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank brooksvtr
Denewood_Manager, Manager at Denewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for your comments and your positive feedback about your stay.
We were however saddened and disappointed to read your comments about dog friendliness.
We always try very hard to make our guests happy and we are one of the very few places by the sea that accepts dogs. We also do not charge anything for accommodating dogs even though it causes more work for our staff.
You mentioned that you could not have breakfast as your dog was not allowed in the breakfast room. At check-in, you assured me, this would not be a problem as you would leave her in the car for this short time. We have never before had any complaints about this policy, most dog owners actually never expect them to be allowed in the breakfast room and have so far either left their dogs in the room or in the car.
We are a small, family-run establishment, also catering for families; and some children and also adults are afraid of dogs. We are also always worried about what would happen if two unacquainted dogs came together in a restricted area and what the consequences of this are for other guests. We have to guarantee the safety and comfort of all our guests.
There are also health and hygiene reasons why animals, accept for assistance dogs, are not allowed in restaurants. Most restaurants do not allow dogs in their establishments and most hotels will not accept them in their dining areas either.
Whenever we spoke to you, you said everything was fine and there were no problems. We care very much about our guests and try to do everything possible to make them happy.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Excellent service, friendly but not intrusive..........professional, happy staff who clearly enjoy their work......cannot fault it. Breakfast was superb.......perfectly cooked & well-presented. Great location & very good value for money. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Beej38
Reviewed December 20, 2013

An absolutely wonderful stay in a friendly and well-serviced hotel. Having stayed in the Boscombe/Bournemouth area several times, I would recommend this one without hesitation. Do not regard other reviews commenting on "the breakfast clock" - timings were well-suited and portions were generous. Staff were extremely helpful. Decor was very tasteful with a king-size bed in a large and well-heated room. An excellent stay. Will be coming back.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elenor23
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Reasonably priced family room on top floor. Stayed there for 1 night as we were attending a concert at the O2 Academy Bournemouth - which is actually in Boscombe - a very short walk from this hotel - which is why we chose it.

Friendly welcome. Room clean enough - decor is a bit dated. Clean sheets. Now the gripes .... why oh why is there wallpaper in the bathroom!? Needless to say, it's peeling off! Also you have to pay for extra tea coffee etc, 10p here 15p there! I had to dismantle the bed to find a plug socket for my straighteners. Why is there only a 45 minute window for breakfast? People are away for a break to relax - not to feel they are against the breakfast clock!!

It suited our needs as we needed a place to lay our heads after a concert .... would not consider staying here for more than 1 night. It was convenient for us - about sums it up!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shellywu
Reviewed December 9, 2013

From the moment I arrived I was made to feel welcome, the two young ladies who checked me in were brilliant. They also served at breakfast and were always smiling, polite and helpful. From my room I could see the sea which was wonderful. My room was lovely, comfortable and had everything I needed. The only thing was that the shower cubicle had a leak but I reported that and I'm sure it will be fixed.
I loved the fact this was not a new 'plastic' hotel ... an older building with lots of character.
I will definitely stay here again, perfect location, for me anyway :)
I had a double for single use which was fabulous as I couldn't sleep in a single any more!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank era030806
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I had stayed here for the one night while in Bournemouth and had found it to be a pleasent place to stay. The hotel was a little dated but nothing that a lick of paint couldnt sort out. It was clean and found the bed to be very comfortable. No problems here

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank gezzer30
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and two daughters over the weekend.
Location is ideal, and rooms were large and clean; however my children were situated two floors above ourselves, even though we booked as a party, and although I requested a twin room for them they were given a double, although a change was offered.
There only appeared to be one member of staff working over the entire time of our stay, although she was very friendly, professional and hospitable.
My only real concern, and the reason I would not rate the B and B higher was the breakfast. I ordered a continental breakfast, to which the croissants were still frozen, and my husband and children had a full English, where the sausages were not properly cooked and still very pink.
Overall, however, the hotel was good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family