“Average at best”

Ranked #40 of 133 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Hemel Hempstead, Herts
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Reasonably priced family room on top floor. Stayed there for 1 night as we were attending a concert at the O2 Academy Bournemouth - which is actually in Boscombe - a very short walk from this hotel - which is why we chose it.

Friendly welcome. Room clean enough - decor is a bit dated. Clean sheets. Now the gripes .... why oh why is there wallpaper in the bathroom!? Needless to say, it's peeling off! Also you have to pay for extra tea coffee etc, 10p here 15p there! I had to dismantle the bed to find a plug socket for my straighteners. Why is there only a 45 minute window for breakfast? People are away for a break to relax - not to feel they are against the breakfast clock!!

It suited our needs as we needed a place to lay our heads after a concert .... would not consider staying here for more than 1 night. It was convenient for us - about sums it up!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shellywu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Finnish first
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

From the moment I arrived I was made to feel welcome, the two young ladies who checked me in were brilliant. They also served at breakfast and were always smiling, polite and helpful. From my room I could see the sea which was wonderful. My room was lovely, comfortable and had everything I needed. The only thing was that the shower cubicle had a leak but I reported that and I'm sure it will be fixed.
I loved the fact this was not a new 'plastic' hotel ... an older building with lots of character.
I will definitely stay here again, perfect location, for me anyway :)
I had a double for single use which was fabulous as I couldn't sleep in a single any more!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank era030806
brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I had stayed here for the one night while in Bournemouth and had found it to be a pleasent place to stay. The hotel was a little dated but nothing that a lick of paint couldnt sort out. It was clean and found the bed to be very comfortable. No problems here

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank gezzer30
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and two daughters over the weekend.
Location is ideal, and rooms were large and clean; however my children were situated two floors above ourselves, even though we booked as a party, and although I requested a twin room for them they were given a double, although a change was offered.
There only appeared to be one member of staff working over the entire time of our stay, although she was very friendly, professional and hospitable.
My only real concern, and the reason I would not rate the B and B higher was the breakfast. I ordered a continental breakfast, to which the croissants were still frozen, and my husband and children had a full English, where the sausages were not properly cooked and still very pink.
Overall, however, the hotel was good value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marianandkevin
Seaton,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

A very good hotel if you want a good night's sleep in a comfortable bed, with a very good breakfast. Although a little run down everything worked, the rooms were clean and staff were helpful. Unfortunately when we had a shower in the morning the water was almost cold as was it in the room where our friends were. We had a lovely view of the sea from our room (16) and we enjoyed the short walk down to the beach with the dog in the morning. Unlike many hotels there was no added charge for having the dog with us in our room. On one night's experience I would recommend the Denewood.

Room Tip: We were in room 16 which was large with a six foot bed and a single bed. We had two windows and from...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in July and the weather was fantastic
the hotel was clean and tidy if a little dated, the room was refreshed every day it was a very pleasurable stay.

My only problem was I borrowed an iron and board when I plugged the iron in it set the fire alarms off and two members of staff went into the room when in a bit of a state one member of staff picked up the iron and caught my arm with it.

I did receive an ice pack from the said lady (but I had to get someone to collect me to have it seen to properly) I was not asked if I was aright even though I didn't stay that night and was not asked before I checked out following day. (I am aware now that it should have been logged in an accident book but all is well now)

Still a good place and I would stay there again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Denewood_Manager, Manager at Denewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your staying at The Denewood and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Thank you for your comments, we always appreciate customers taking the time to give constructive feedback.
I was told about the fire alarm begin tripped by the iron. However, I have to say that I was not aware of the scald that you received or that they gave you an ice pack. I was very shocked to read this and I am very sorry about the lack of procedure and due diligence. We have let the member of staff concerned go, which I hope puts your mind at rest to the point that we take guest care very seriously. I am very glad to hear that you are ok now and would like to apologise again about the accident and the way it was dealt with.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future and assure you our best attention.
Gravesend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

A proper hotel, i.e. not a modern purpose built building, in a great location. Excellent staff, nice big rooms, and great value. Our bathroom was slightly tired though. Great breakfast but no evening meals available. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple