“Right on the Beach!” 4 of 5 stars

Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #32 of 79 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Right on the Beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is the first time I stayed in a hotel right on the beach. It was absolutely fantastic to be able to walk from the room down to the beach. The hotel grounds were lovely.

Parking
The cottage was away from the main hotel. We were able to park our vehicle right outside of the cottage. Be sure to give front desk your tag number of vehicle. We were told we didn't have to use the parking eye kiosk.

Room
The room was clean but some of the bath towels left lint and fuzz all over the body. Our room was a cottage with a portable air conditioning unit. That A/C unit sucks. We dealt with the heat for one day because the hose was not properly attached to the wall. Someone came to check the unit and decided to open a window and stick the hose out. It leaked water on carpet and with the window been propped open for the hose a bee flew into the room!

Breakfast Buffet
Breakfast buffet is good but pancakes taste doughy sometimes. It was crowded on a Friday morning. After waiting for more than 5 minutes I was seated at a table and when I went to get my breakfast only to return to find another family sitting at my table. I had to wait with a plate of food in my hand while the waitress find me another table. I was seated at a dirty booth that had not been cleared yet. Had to wait for silverware, pot of tea, napkins and a teacup. Had to flag down different waiters to get each of those items. Me and another guest were looking for the glasses for the juice. We summoned a waitress and she came back and handed the other guest two glasses instead of bringing out a tray of glasses for all the guests. I had to wait for a glass. Spent Friday morning just waiting for things and dealing with absent-minded waitresses. It was unbelievable how inept they were. Overall, it was lovely place to stay in spite of the minor annoyances.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I have just come back from a week away at this destination and 1 word to say about this place is great!
The staff are extremely pleasant and welcoming(always looking for tips), the food at the grill is astonishing and the food in the restaurant is also tasty however not a wide range of variety. The pool is great however in hot weather it can be busy at times and not enough sun beds, on the other hand pool staff are polite, friendly and pleasant as well.
The rooms are cleaned everyday and some days we had chocolates placed on our beds and curtains closed, and the air conditioning in the room works however, we noticed when staying there that they kept turning the air conditioning off even when it was too hot.
The bad thing about this hotel for me is that I have a peanut allergy and they don't have consideration for those people who do have allergies, we ordered drinks at the bar and straight away they gave us peanuts and didn't ask if we would like them or not when the waiter went to remove the peanuts they spilt them on the table this made me feel uncomfortable as I was scared of a reaction to the peanuts.
Also on multiple occasions we went to sit down to have a drink and there was peanuts on the table which hadn't been cleaned up, the waiter came over to order our drinks but still left the table dirty, we had to specifically ask them to wipe down the table because of an allergy and they were really understanding and happy to.
Breakfast, the options and the taste of breakfast is amazing, one of the best parts there is so much on offer and you can have something different everyday. However, they also here had peanut butter out with dirty spoon on side which also had jam on and they were also serving peanut cereal, I have been to this hotel many times before and this was new to me not a good idea to keep encouraging nuts especially when nut allergies are popular.
I would finally recommend this hotel to go to but the staff do need to informed about allergies.

Room Tip: The hotel has wifi for free downstairs but in the room you are only allowed 24hours free and the res...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank 769Lily
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
A great post which I have shared with my team, we strive to deliver this level of service every day and your comments have certainly kept the team focused here at the Highcliff.
Over the past month I have been personally conducting refresher training for all of the relevant team members in regards to allergy awareness, this is certainly a focus for the industry at the moment and we as a hotel are passionate about making sure this aspect of our business is as strong as the others, thank you for your comments in regards to this.
We look forward in being able to welcome you back to the Highcliff very soon.
Yours sincerely
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. Even on a corporate rate, it was not cheap. The hotel has a car park with a guest rate of £10, but I think I got the last space at 4.30. I was upgraded to a very pleasant suite and welcomed the air conditioning as it was a hot afternoon. The room was very spacious and comfortable. The view was over the car park, but the view from the main building was superb with a panoramic view of the sea and the Isle of Wight. I didn't eat at the hotel and tried out the new Marriott app to check out, with my bill being sent to me via email.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sdwoo
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Even on a corporate rate this is £200 per night. For that money I would get a great hotel and change in central London.

Most public areas are showing bad signs of wear - grubby sofas, peeling paint etc.

Rooms are a reasonable size and have most of the items you would expect for a 4* hotel, but again it looks like this hotel is in bad need of a refurb.

At this price it is very poor indeed.

Room Tip: If you don't like the heat ask for a room at the back, but you will need to forego the sea view...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank HotChilli99
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Kersi01,
My apologies that we have not met your expectation at the time of your visit, I can assure you we continuously review the condition of our product and up date certain areas where it is necessary.
That being said your comments do aid myself with future planned renovations.
I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Highcliff very soon and please feel free to contact myself directly so I can personally oversee your next stay with us.
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Marriott, our 6th year at this hotel and we had such a great time. We can't understand why this hotel does not rate number 1 on trip advisor so we want to let everyone know that it should!! Big thank you to Rebecca Osbourne who organised everything for us perfectly and made sure our stay was totally stress free and very enjoyable. The staff could not do enough for us, good to chat to Mark, Restaurant Manager and hear all the exciting plans that the hotel has in the future. Staff to mention who go above and beyond expectional customer service are Peter on Reception, Alexis Conceirge, Housekeeping were great, At Your Service were efficient and helpful at all times and overall we couldnt fault anything. Our room was lovely and clean with a fantastic view. Breakfasts were outstanding. My partner had a wonderful birthday weekend and we cant wait to come back again soon! Big thanks to all at the Marriott. A great team. Helen Phillips and Andrew Mackay

Room Tip: 308 is a lovely room, gives a fantastic overall view of the bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
WOW, thank you HLPSurrey,
A great post and one that has brought smiles to the persons you have mentioned and great recognition.
We look forward in being able to welcome you back to us again at the Highcliff soon and being able to host you for your future breaks away.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

If you want an amazing and affordable .5* meal look no further! They do a set meal for £31.50 , 4 courses. You can however go off meal and select from the al a cart meal at no extra cost. You may have to pay a little extra for premium meats Beef. The service is second to none and when I could not decide my dessert they made me two at no extra cost!! Wine is priced well and very good. On top of all this you get a sea view if requested. Cannot wait to return!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lisa P
Lisa P,
A big thank you for your post, such great comments and real recognition for the team here at the Highcliff Grill for all the hard work they do every day.
We look forward in seeing you again and if you come to us most Fridays in July and August I would recommend our lobster dish, however we now have specials everyday!
Burton On Trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have stayed at the Highcliff many times and I have to say it is a lovely hotel. The staff are always very welocming and friendly and the location is excellent. So close to everything.
I have already previously written a review on this hotel but felt that I had to write one again as the staff never cease to 'WoW' me.
My husband and I arrived really early and decided to pay and have breakfast never expecting our room to be ready. However Peter Wilkinson the Reception manager was superb and very professional. He found us a lovely cottage room that was already serviced and allowed us to check in. His 'can do' attitude and friendly welcome was excellent. This early check in was very much appreciated.
The following day we took advantage of the lovely weather and sat by the pool. Here we met Darian Abley who is one of the pool attendants. Darian is lovely. He is friendly, helpful and welcoming and a pleasure to talk to. He most clearly loves his job. Weather permitting Darian cooks on a BBQ and easily persuaded us to try what he had cooked. The chicken burger with salad was superb and sensibly priced at £6. It was very tasty and great to eat your lunch whilst sat on your sunbed.
My only negative comments this time of the hotel is that the breakfast was no where as nice as the previous times we have stayed. Whether this was because the hotel was very busy but it apprears that 'corners have been cut'. All of the preserves are now in pots next to the toaster. You have to help yourself. Gone are the small individual pots on the table. There was also no sign of any honey. When I asked for it none could be found. The cooked breakfast was also dried and not as tasty as I have experienced at this hotel. All of the staff though were friendly and helpful. All in all a poor breakfast with not a great deal of choice.
The cottage bedroom we stayed in was nice with a lovely garden/sea view. The bathroom is very small and dated and in need or refurbishment. Thank goodness there is air con in this room or we would have swealtered. It is not a room I would choose again as the rooms in the main hotel building overlooking the sea are the best.
I did not stay for dinner this time due to other commitments but I am sure it would be good as it always has been when I have eaten in the hotel on previous occasions and as I have kept on saying, the staff are lovely.
All I can say is that the 2 members of staff that really shone on this stay was Peter and Darian. Every hotel need a Peter or Darian that offer the same customer service that they gave my husband and I.

Room Tip: 513 is one of the cottages overlooking the gardens and sea. It has a very tiny bathroom but is a ni...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple