“Amazing views at the Highcliff Marriott” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel

Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #31 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Hertfordshire
“Amazing views at the Highcliff Marriott”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed 4 nights recently. Our room was a suite with the most wonderful sea views. It really made our stay more enjoyable. The room was big with a nice space. I slept on the sofa bed as I was staying with my Mother. A bit uncomfortable - but fine. Bathroom had plenty of clean towels and the cleaning of the room was good. The mini bar however was dirty and did not work very well. I think it needs updating with a new one.

Breakfast was really good on the first morning. However it went downhill as the week went on. At 9.15 AM on our last morning. There was no-one in charge of making sure all was running smoothly. All the jars of marmalade and jams were empty and just left that way. They ran out of melon, cakes and croissants. And the fried eggs which had already been cooked and just standing there - were hard and lukewarm(not very nice). There was no chef present. When I asked for a tea cup instead of a mug for my mother. This is exactly what came from the waitress - she brought a cup without a saucer ("sorry she said its my first day") And explained she received no training). Should I have been more specific?.When the saucer did arrive they did not match. Its almost funny! We did laugh about it!.

I did use the swimming pool areas - it needs a serious update.

Overall we did have a pleasant stay - shame about the food not being very good. We could of done without the trek into town to find decent food to eat.

What makes this hotel good is the staff who are friendly and most helpful. A special thank you to Steve Pini the Lead Concierge. He is the kind of person that really understands what great service is all about!.

Room Tip: Get a sea view on a higher floor. The views are great.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BarbaraR58
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
BarbaraR58,
Thank you for your post, a great title and great comments around our famous Steve Pini, thank you for this and he will be recognised for the level of service he delivers constantly.
Certainly some areas for me to look at and you can be assured today myself and my Restaurant Manager have put some additional training in place for next week.
Mini bars are already on their way, some new ones this week so glad to see we will get this resolved for your next visit to us.
Our outdoor pool area has certainly had a makeover from last year but we have some way to go, this is one aspect that we continuously look at, leave it with us!
I trust we will be able to welcome you back to the Highcliff soon, please give me a call when your next visiting as it would be great to meet with you.
Thank you again and see you soon.
Kind regards
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Marriot are now paying ParkingEye to annoy their customers if they don’t register their car with the ParkingEye database in time. £100 fine for those who forget or are too slow.

According to Siobhan in the restaurant, it happens all the time. My suggestion? Cards on the dining room tables reminding customers that they should check at least once through lunch their car is registered – because it has already been photographed by the spy in the sky.

As for breakfast, excellent value & quality, very friendly service and a very relaxing venue.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank lhowis
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Ihowis,
Thank you for your post, as per our recent communication it is great to see that we were able to get this ticket cancelled for you.
We do endeavour to inform all of our guests about the parking arrangements here at the Highcliff through the 20 or more signs in the car park and communicating this through our teams.
Thank you for your comments around the other aspects of your stay with us and I do trust we will see you again with us in the very near future.
Kind regards
Great Ouseburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I attended a Conference at the Marriott this week. The hotel staff were very helpful in helping setting up our stands especially "David Ryan". The food and the service at the hotel were excellent. A great place to explore the south coast from.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Florida City, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Enjoyable stay at this hotel. Only objection is that it should not take 15/20 minutes to cook a breakfast omelette. Other aspects of hospitality were rather erratic. Some was very good like the restaurant manager and others were quite lacking as in Reception.

Room Tip: Frequent visitor to this hotel and have never got what I was promised. Rooms at the back face a nois...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
ddd3112,
Thank you for your post, it is great to see that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. I have fed your comments back through to our chef and the other relevant departments and you can be assured we are looking to see how we can speed up the process during our peak breakfast times and continuing to meet the high level of service that we pride ourselves on across the entire hotel.
See you again soon.
England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed here for one night and found every thing to be really good.. The room and service was professional and we were provided with the kind of service you would expect from a Marriott hotel.

On first inspection the everything looked great in the room, but there were a few little things that let the room down. The main issue was the fridge in our room, it was filthy.. which surprised us!

1 Thank Dan B
Dan B,
Thank you for a great overall post, I am pleased to see you enjoyed yourself with us at the Highcliff. Apologies about the fridge in the room, today we have checked them all!
I trust we will see you back with us at the Highcliff very soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I paid a premium price for the hotel room but, I don't feel I got a premium service. I stay in a lot of Marriott hotels in the USA and I guess I was expecting the same service here in the UK.
The hotel was of a great standard. The location was amazing and the outdoor pool area was perfect. The gym area was good enough to do a workout in although in need of an update.
What stops me from giving a very good or excellent rating is the following.
I wanted to book a taxi for a dinner reservation and called the 'at your service' department. I had no answer and was ringing for around five minutes.
Also, breakfast in the morning was like chaos. I appreciate it is a very busy time but, at an experienced hotel I wouldn't expect to ask for coffee twice and ask if there are any more scrambled eggs coming etc. There were a lot of staff but, it didn't seem like they were organised productively. The staff were friendly and once prompted a response was quick.
Great hotel, great stay but, my only concern is the value for money. With an average experience I paid too much.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LeeC17
LeeC17,
Thank you for your post and I am pleased to hear that overall you had a great stay with us at the Highcliff.
I have passed your comments onto the relevant Managers and I can assure you that today we have spent time reviewing these 2 areas to ensure we continue to deliver the efficient service that we pride ourselves on.
I trust we will see you back at the Highcliff and sunny Bournemouth very soon and please feel free to contact myself directly on 01202 557702 so I can personally oversee your future booking with us.
Yours sincerely
Braintree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

My husband planned a weekend away in Bournemouth to celebrate our 1st Wedding Anniversary.

We arrived at the Highcliff at around 12.30pm on a Saturday afternoon and the car park was nearly full. I'd definitely advise arriving early if you're relying on the hotels car park!! Also, we found a space and were blocked in several times. We ended up eating in the hotels restaurant that evening as the car was blocked in (admittedly we didnt ask at Reception about it - and we later discovered that they had the keys to the blocking car so it wasnt really an issue!)

We didnt expect to be able to check in until 3pm. This wasnt an issue as we were planning on having a wander around to find the beach etc and grab some lunch. However, we were pleasantly surprised to find that our room was ready and it was nice to drop our bags and unpack the essentials. We found that our room was quite small, although the bathroom was huge! But it was clean and tidy and provided us with everything we needed. The windows had been left open and it was a very hot day, we chose to close them and put the air con on whilst we went out and it was lovely a cool when got back. First time air con has actually worked in a hotel we've stayed in!!

We made our way down to the beach, the pier is a 5-10 minute walk to the left of the hotel and we visited the Oceanarium there (my husband loves that kind of thing!) Then we had a stroll along the beach, back towards the hotel and used the Highcliff Lift facility. I'm pregnant and would've found the uphill walk quite difficult. However, the lift cost just £1.25 per person and we were able to claim that money back by buying a drink in the hotel bar!

My husband had booked some treatments for me in the spa that is attached to the hotel. We made our way there around 2.30pm and got changed into our swimming toggs. If the weather is nice, try and secure a decent lounger at the outside pool. It's absolutely lush and we literally felt we could've been abroad!!! My first treatment (pedicure) was at 3pm and lasted around 45mins. It was lovely, no complaints there. My second treatment was a manicure and although the therapist was a lovely lady, her nail painting skills were a lot to be desired and I couldnt help but feel I could've done a better job of a french polish. Considering the treatments were £33 (EACH!) I thought it was a bit steep and shouldve been 100% for that price.

We were a bit peckish as we'd skipped lunch for the aquarium so we got a panini (£5!!!!) to keep us going.

Went back up to the room and got showered and changed for dinner and went down to the restaurant for our reservation at 8pm. Restaurant want lovely, VERY elaborate menu but a good variety of choices and something for everyone. A little pricey but nothing out of the ordinary for a nice restaurant/hotel. There was a slight wait (around 45 mins) between the starter and main course but it wasnt really an issue as we enjoyed the time to overlook the sea and a good chit chat with just the two of us!

We were up early for breakfast (which was absolutely lovely!!) and then went back to the outside pool for a few hours before departing.

All in all, I'd say it was a lovely trip and we enjoyed ourselves immensly. Staff were very helpful and couldnt have done more for us! Would recommend for sure :)

Room Tip: We were near the lift in the Dorchester part of the hotel but had no noise. It was just a little cra...
1 Thank NavyBaby91