New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #29 of 78 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“A special night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

On arrival the attention of the consierge cannot be underestimated. The customer service at the hotel is faultless. Receptionists say all the right things and the timing from arrival to room was faultless. A sherry overlooking the bay passed the time and once seen the room was well worth the wait.

We were part of a special event so truly cannot complain however the buffet that was provided for our function was horribly dry, cold and ultimately inedible. Not our hosts fault but disappointing as we were starving by 9.30 pm.

A highlight was the breakfast - amazing and as mentioned before the service impeccable throughout.

Thank You for an amazing stay but I would think twice about an event if the food was as bad as we suffered - maybe an all day breakfast is the answer!

Room Tip: Room was horribly hot, even in January. Tried to cool it with the air conditioning but to little ef...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

There are so many great things to say about this hotel. The included breakfast is fantastic - so much variety and just a great way to start the day overlooking the ocean from the dining area.

My wife and I had our wedding reception here and stayed in one of the junior suites. We've been back to the same room twice since and it's still as great as we remember it. Each time our room request has been met, which is wonderful and adds so much to our experience for nostalgic reasons. The room itself is very good - two large TVs for the bedroom and the sitting area, comfortable bed.

The staff are wonderful, the location is amazing, the rooms are great, the breakfast is fantastic and though I have never used it, the leisure facilities get great reviews. So why no excellent rating you ask?

The shower is not a great experience. The width of the bathtub at the showerhead end is so narrow it's ridiculous. It's fine if you actually take a bath and you sit at the wider end, but taking a shower is a pain. I seriously felt like I was taking a shower while standing on a balance beam. One step to the left or right and you would slip. There is just enough space to stand with your feet together, but that's hardly relaxing nor easy to maneuver!

And annoyingly, there's no free WiFi for guests! OK, I exaggerate, you are fortunate enough to get a small window of free WiFi in your room - about one hour if I remember rightly, but come on! For the price you pay to stay here, you should be getting free WiFi in this day and age. What's more annoying is the outrageous price for connecting to the WiFi for 24 hours if you wanted to, plus the fact that visitors to the restaurant get free WiFi downstairs. Seems a bit off to me...residents don't get it but lunch visitors do.

On this particular visit we were also disappointed to find some left behind rubbish in the room. Room key, water bottle, etc. Not a lot, but still not what you expect when you check in. Either the previous guest had managed to get back in to the room after housekeeping had been in, or housekeeping just didn't finish their work. It was taken care of quickly and we were offered a room change, which wasn't necessary.

I still like the hotel a lot, it has many things going for it, but the WiFi is a pet peeve of mine and the shower is of upmost importance in my hotel stays. For such a great facility in every other way, it's a shame.

Still, recommended for it's location, breakfast and overall room quality.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Chris B
HighcliffGM, General Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Chris

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay at The Highcliff here on Tripadvisor.
It is nice to hear that the hotel holds some great memories for you and your wife and I am very pleased that in the main, you enjoy staying with us.

With regard to the bathtub in your suite, could I ask that you kindly email me directly and let me know which suite you stayed in, as this is an issue that has never been identified before? We do have some smaller bathtubs in the bedrooms that occupy the former coast guard cottages, due to the configuration of these listed historic buildings, we in think that this is part of the charm of the cottages. Please do drop me an email though if you will.

The situation that you report regarding some waste items in the room is clearly a mistake on our part and I appologise for that. It is more likely that we missed emptying one of the waste bins, than a prior guest being able to access the room.

With regard to wifi, we do provide a completely free wifi service throughout the public areas of the hotel: lounge, bar, restaurant, lobby and health club. You are correct in that we do currently have a charge for the much higher band width service that is available in our bedrooms, ideal for streaming a movie or downloading large presentation type files.

Thank you again for returning to stay with us and I hope that we will see you back at the Highcliff again soon.

Berkshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We have stayed here many times and it is always a great place to stay. Have just returned from a great weekend here and it was better than ever. The hotel has a great location, the public rooms have a fantastic view. Lovely furnishings in the public areas and the bedrooms and everywhere spotlessly clean, I always say it is the only hotel that I would feel confident looking under the bed and find it as clean as everywhere else. The bedclothes, towels and choices of pillows is superb and best of all the. staff are amazing, they are very friendly and welcoming and exceptionally efficient. The food is good, particularly the breakfast. We can't think of any negative so thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank sbcb
HighcliffGM, General Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review - it is wonderful to know that you hold the hotel in such high regard.

I am very proud of the team here at the Highcliff, so greatly appreciate your acknowledgement of the service and engagement that you have received whilst staying with us.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Highcliff and to Bournemouth soon.

Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Visited with a company called Just You (for singles) and can find only good things to say about this Hotel. The service, the food, ambience - all excellent - will definitely visit again. All the staff went out of their way to make the experience a happy one.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for choosing to spend Christmas with us at The Highcliff this year. It was our pleasure to host you and your fellow guests in your group.

Please do come and stay with us again soon - maybe a nice Spring break, or a Summer stay ahead of a return at Christmas?? Thank you for posting your feedback here, we appreciate your comments.

Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We had afternoon tea on Sunday with the rain and wind beating at the windows but the view over the coast was still spectacular. afternoon tea was fine,the usual sandwiches,scones and cakes. I was disappointed by the cakes, it seemed to be left over Christmas cake and a large piece of brownie, no patisserie or tempting delicate treats. The pastry chef could pick up some tips from the great British Bake off!!
However the staff were attentive and friendly and the champagne delicious.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank charlottejd
Dear Charlotte

Thank you for your feedback and for visiting us for Afternoon Tea, I love the view from the Highcliff Lounge - Whatever the weather it is a great place to sit and watch the sea, so I am pleased that the rain didn't spoil your visit.

Your feedback on the cakes is very welcome. We certainly were not using up Christmas cake; in fact our fruit cake has always been a popular item on our afternoon tea. However we are literally just in the process of sign off of the new season's afternoon tea (tough job all this tasting) and I think that you will really like it, based upon your comments.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that we see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

A really great location and a really nicely furnished hotel. I have stayed here a couple of times and was very happy both times. I've said everything I want to so why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why do I now I need to write more words to meet the minimum requirement.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank R P
Dear RP
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting your review here on Tripadvisor.

I'm sorry that the system requires you to type a little bit more than you felt you needed to - but I am glad that you did! I appreciate your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed staying with us.

We hope that we can welcome you back to the Highcliff soon.

Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Had a very restful stay from midday on New Year's Eve to midday on January 1st.....everything was very pleasant. We were impressed to get our rooms at midday when we were told prior that it would be 3. Used the spa area before the super afternoon tea. Rooms were comfortable. Nice canapés and kir royale before a tasty meal. The band were ok as was the disco, but I would have liked more modern music generally. Nice brunch...did not feel rushed to leave. I would definitely consider it again for new year and maybe other future events.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Happy New Year to you - thank you for choosing to celebrate New Year with us and for taking time to provide this feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and the atmosphere and pace of the hotel for the duration of our New Year's package.

Thank you for your feedback on the band - we chose them for their ability to play across a range of genres and to try and please the wide age range that our event attracts - we we think they did really well, but we will certainly share your feedback with them. Your timing is perfect as we are in the process of planning our Christmas and New Year package already for Christmas 2014.

I hope that you do join us for NYE again, if not before. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Highcliff.