“Excellent Location”

2. Restuarant has excellent sea views and serves great breakfast
3. The hotel has an old world charm around it
4. Staff is helpful
5. Rooms are good
6. The hotel has different wings with rooms having different views. Please check on the view your rooms has
7. The Hotel could do with a touch a modernisation.
8. There is a convenience store, Itilian & Indian restuarants within a few minutes walking distance.
Overall a great stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HighcliffGM, General Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay here at The Highcliff. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and made the most of our wonderful location.

As you have noted, there is an "old world charm" about The Highcliff. The hotel is 145 years old with some great stories to tell and we try hard to maintain the integrity and history of the building whilst providing the contemporary services that are expected of the Marriott brand by today's travelers.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we can welcome you back to The Highcliff and to Bournemouth soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Greater London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

The start of a business trip began at this hotel overlooking the beach. We dined in the restaurant both for breakfast and dinner and both were exceptional. The conference rooms we booked for workshops provided plenty of coffee, tea and bacon breakfast sandwiches.

I took an afternoon to walk along the beach to the pier and then into the Christmas market in town. A great way to start the Christmas holiday season

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dwainlondon
Dear Dwain

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay here at The Highcliff and dining in the Highcliff Grill - Thank you for posting your feedback.

It sounds like you made the most of our unique location, combining a walk along the beach with time at the Christmas Market - it sounds like a great few days.
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

The hotel is very good and offers great sea view rooms.

See if the place fits in your budget, its on the higher side.

The food and breakfast offers is very nice and worth staying the place.

Everything is very near and walk-able from the hotel, the place has very good gym and pool.

In my openion this is the best place to stay in Bournemouth

Room Tip: ask for room with sea view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HighcliffGM, General Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking time to post a review here on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed staying with us and your time here in Bournemouth, please come and see us again soon.

Kind regards

Andrew Francis
nth london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed here a few times now.never let's us down.great location etc.leisure club is pool sauna,steam room all good.excellent breakfast,cereals need more choices,but OK otherwise.
Rooms:..are room was on the small side but OK for us.agree that its a bit of a warren to find room if you're in the annex.!...friendly staff..barman makes a mean cocktail..definetly will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for room in main building
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Carmei Yosef, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

This used to be a very high class hotel in the glory days of Bournemouth, but like Bournemouth itself it has fallen on harder times. On one hand it is difficult to fault it, as the room was well appointed with all expected amenities, but the building is split into different wings with many stairs and corridors – so very far to reach the public areas, unless taking a short cut across an ugly car park – not fun when raining. All in all we would have to say it was a comfortable night’s stay, but not quite up to Marriott international standards, and far too highly priced for standard received! We did have afternoon tea in an extremely pretty lounge with sea view. The service however was way, way under par. The tea and scones, which took an interminably long time to arrive, were perfectly delicious.

Room Tip: Maybe in the main wing where the public areas are and not in the far away wings.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank linda6644
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Our trip is short but sweet. We enjoyed our stay in this hotel and find it really relaxing. They have a fantastic full english breakfast and so is the other menu items. Staff is very attentive! Thank you very much we will return :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kimcobb
Rochester, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I came to learn a lot about the highcliffe during my 2 week and 4 day stay. Let me begin by saying that my experience as a whole was wonderful in many aspects and there were only a few minor items that maintained the gap between very good and excellent...in my opinion of course...

Location
Amazing. Very short walk to the square...although the end of the night uphill climb is tough if you are overweight, elderly or intoxicated. The ocean view from the front step is breathtaking. Likewise from the lifts conveniently scaling the bluff directly from your front door. I also enjoyed strolls down the beach toward Poole and envisioned playing with my daughter on the ocean themed playground not too far down. I had a blast exploring gardens and trails all easily within walking distance. Fantastic.

The Room
At the time, I was traveling with 3 colleagues who also had rooms at the highcliffe. Some were better than others, but all were very clean and well maintained.
The king bed was comfortable and fit well in the room. I also liked the on screen bill feature within the tv. This helped track expenses over the long stay. My only negative comment regrading the room was the heat control not raising the temperature. Air would circulate but not get warm. I did not contact the hotel about this as it was minor for me.

The Food
I enjoyed breakfast every morning of my stay. The full English breakfast was fantastic as were other menu items. I especially enjoyed the assortment of fresh breads in the morning as well as made to order omelets. Dinner, typically steak, was equally good. Even the late night deli sandwiches from the 24 hr menu were great. All around fantastic food. Seemed like a popular place for Sunday roast as indicated by the large parties I observed each weekend.

The Staff
Kind, courteous and helpful. The service you would hope for and expect anywhere you stayed.

So why not excellent?
Small things really. Things that vary from hotel to hotel and may be expected by some and/or neglected by others.
No free internet in the room.
No good. Yes public wifi is available in the lobby and dining room, but wifi in the room is going to run £75 per week (more if purchasing single days).

Knit picking my bill.
I understand that this is a business. And in business they are out to make money, that is to be expected. But I also don't expect to have to explain being over charged for a service multiple times as was the case when I had an extra £75-100 on my bill. It was clearly their error, yet the manager didn't seem to want to accept that. I'm sure many dishonest people try and get things taken off of their bill...however as a customer that just spent thousands of pounds, you should probably trust that I am not trying to swindle you out of 100 extra.
Upon agreeing with me after my third explanation I signed my bill. Moments later this particular manager came to my breakfast table and asked if he could issue me yet another bill because he forgot to add some other charge. This other charge was £11. Really? £11? It was extremely silly and vexed me quite a bit. Its a shame my stay had to end on a sour note.

However all in all I enjoyed myself. I would definitely return to this hotel, whether on business or with my family. Love the relaxed vibe and class atmosphere. Thank you to all the staff and I hope to see you again. Cheers.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business