“Fine for a few days”

Ranked #62 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
spain
“Fine for a few days”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Firstly the hotel room was of a good size (room 88). It was basically clean and tidy, bedding and furnishings dated but adequate. The hotel does need a revamp but is ok for a few nights but not any longer. Breakfast was quite nice, very basic but always being restocked. Tables cleared quickly but whilst we was there it wasn't very busy at all. We didn't use any facilities in the hotel as it was only being used as a base, but always found a parking space. The staff we encountered were very professional and helpful. Would probably not return again though. I did think that there would be an hairdryer there at the very least, the iron and ironing board were a welcome surprise though, also beware the seagull fights on the flat roof attached at 4am, not a good wakeup call

Room Tip: Our room for 2 people was very well proportioned . Number 88. But no view at all
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMCarrington, General Manager at Carrington House Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank-you for your comments. I am pleased we provided you with what you were looking for during your stay. We are going through a refurbishment currently so please come and see us again the next time you are in Bournemouth.

Stuart Kingsley-Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with husband and twin boys. First impressions were good. Friendly and helpful receptionist. The hotel décor in the hallways and bedrooms and bathrooms maybe a little dated, we found it to be very clean (always saw staff cleaning etc). The boys loved the bunk beds in the family room and although the "main" bed was 2 beds pushed together it was very comfy. The breakfast was great. Always got parked right outside. The hotel is just round the corner from lovely gardens which has a great park and crazy golf and you walk through these to get to beach. The hotel has a swimming pool which unfortunately was closed, a small indoor play area which was a hit with our boys and a football table.
The only issue we had was the noise from the girls staying in the room next door (constant opening and banging of the door) we rang reception at 12.30am and they dealt with problem straight away and was quiet for the rest of night and night after.
Great little hotel, friendly and helpful staff and great location.

Room Tip: We were in room 254 - good as at back of hotel so quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank-you for your cmments. I have passed on your kind words to my team.

We Look forward to welcoming you and your family the next time you are in Bournemouth.

Kind Regards
Aylesford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed at this hote inl June 2012 for 2 weeks on business. First thoughts on arriving were, looks nice, great location, this could be good. Check in was awful because the girl behind the counter knew nothing so once i struggled through that one i hit the bar. Drinks reasonable price but barman as useful as a a chocolate teacup and the same person will pop up again later.

Having my pint a had a good old look about and straight away i thought this place needs some serious attention on the decor front. Wall paper dated and peeling, carpets worn but it it was obviously a busy hotel from the coaches in the car park so wear and tear, fair enough.

A clean and tidy bedroom and bathroom which is a must or all hell would break loose with me and if was very satisfactory in this department

Every night of the stay there were new coach loads of tourists, English, Dutch, Japanese etc. which is ok but this meant getting a seat in the restaurant was a complete nightmare so room service or bar food was the way to go for me.

The food was ok and breakfast was a lovely full english or the other cerial stuff you'd expect. My main bug bear was the Receptionist who knew nothing and the same bar/waiter who told me on the Saturday night that room service was available until 9pm but to my amazement when i phoned downstairs at 8.45 the kitchen was closed but i could have sandwiches. Errrrr excuse me but what about 9pm. Anyway i ended having 2 packets of crisps and 4 pints for Tea.

After the first week i had gone through the main menu so on the second week i was eating the same menu again.

I don't want to put this hotel down too much but what seems to me is at that time of year it's very busy and it is under staffed.

A good bit of decor and a few more staff of which they know what they're going on about and this Hotel has great potential. I would stay here again but would be only a few nights.

This Hotel gets 3.5*

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I am staying in this hotel as I write this - and can't wait to leave. Hotel should be demolished ASAP - no parking, pool closed, extremely tatty, extremely noisy, itchy beds; I will probably go and sleep in the car in a minute as it has to be better than this dump. DO NOT STAY HERE - I have stayed in some rough hotels but this is on another level!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Turboteeth2001

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed here on a Dancing weekend. I found the hotel very disapointing. I think i spoke to one member of staff who was english, the rest was eueropean with very bad english. I wanted to have a shower on my first night there and could not get any hot water from the taps or shower. when they came to look at it the foreign member of staff said it was a perfect temperature to have a shower, which it was if you liked showing in cold water.

the decor is very old and out dated, it could do with a revamp and investing in some power showers, the showers in the bedroom are pathetic.

Breakfast was a do it yourself, and the hot food was warm. Dinner offered plenty of selection, but the portions were extremely small, with only a smattering of veg for example one meal i had 6 green beans and 3 small pieces of cauli.

The iron in the room did not work and it took them nearly 4 hours to find me an iron. not good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
GMCarrington, General Manager at Carrington House Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank-you for your comments. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment of our bedrooms which will address the issues you encountered.
I have spoken to my team and addressed your other concerns and can assure you upon your return for the next dance weekend you will not encounter the same.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed for one night, that was enough. Never again! Dirty rooms, awful furniture, shabby carpets, curtains and decor. Lights did not work in the room. Water was yellow! When return after an evening out, we were locked out, at 11:30pm. After gaining access, the room key did not work. Everyone was complaining in the morning about this scruffy dump!

• Stayed June 2013
GMCarrington, General Manager at Carrington House Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank-you for your comments. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Carrington House Hotel. I will contact you privately to discuss the issues you encoutered further.

Swindon
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have stayed at the Carrington on several occasions on Dancing Break Weekends over the last two or three years. Not much has changed...and I would re-iterate the previous guests comments entirely..hotel tired and in need of a facelift....The rooms are clean no doubt serviced well... but the walls have holes in them where previous items adorned the wall... and not been re sealed...all it needs is a bit of polyfiller and a lick of paint. Our room this time the ceiling had been 'patched' with a new piece of artex...looks like a child of five had done it...certainly no self-respecting builder would have left it like that. Large room...Double Bed and a Single... mattress was awful...I cannot describe it any other that that.... lumpy and not very comfortable. Nice large bathroom..pathetic shower..I have walked in the rain on the Italian Riviera and the water was warmer. It would have really been so nice to have been able to shave in hot water... didn't get any through the taps all weekend. Food... we stayed DBB...dinner menu not bad small portions and not very appealing personally to me... the breakfast is a joke... you pay for B&B and you have to get it all yourself. No service by the staff at all...apart from taking the plates away from the tables. All the facilities are now confined to a 10ft 'square' area in the middle of the restaurant...at any given time when it's busy you will have 20 people all trying to get at different places for servings..in all four corners....absolute chaos. Oh... and please get that toaster sorted...it's still the same as it was three years ago...useless. .Apparently... the Forestdale Group of hotels has new owners... I just hope that they have a board of directors willing to spend some money and better ideas to improve the place..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank glenandgordon
Thank-you for your comments. I am sorry your recent stay with us was dissapointing. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment of our bedrooms which will address the issues you have encoutered.
Our breakfast service is difficult when we have over 300 guests inhouse it can become very crowded. I have addressed the issues you encountered with my team to avoid any recurrence.
Please come and see us again the next time you are in Bournemouth.