“An agreable week!”

Carrington House Hotel
Ranked #61 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Before i left for Bournemouth, i checked on the internet all the comments regarding the hotel and now that i am back home, i think it only fair to add my own.....
I read that the hotel was quite old and could do with some redecorating, i do agree on that score, it is well overdue for a complete restoration!!!!!
I must thank the clients who mentionned the problems they had with the heating and lack of ventilation at times. I decided to bring a fan of my own as i have a tendancy to suffer from that kind of trouble, especially at night and i made full use of it!
The food was quite good and there was a reasonable selection.
Now a few comments i read were about the staff of the hotel. I have to say that they made my stay quite enjoyable. The three members of staff at reception, Aaron, Becky and Boroka (i believe) were looking after any problem i might encounter and always received me with a smile when i stopped to exchange a few words!
And finally I was looking forward to breakfast and dinner times when the restaurant staff were extremely friendly. There were the two restaurant managers with whom i dealt, Alex and Miguel and some of the waiters and waitresses mainly spanish like Anna and Delia or a young swiss Tom who was helpful and very skilled in foreign languages......
I must say that i will try to go back at a later date,(maybe with a friend next time) as due to some health issues i was not able to visit the whole area and who knows, maybe next time i might get a room with a view!!!!!!.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank pompadour123
There are newer reviews for Carrington House Hotel

Reviewed May 23, 2011

Just returned from weekend stay at C/H/H.

Visited on a Travelzoo deal and this proved to be EXCEPTIONAL VALUE.

Having read the earlier reviews must say some of these seem most unfair.

Hotel tired -- Yes but clean & comfortable.

Surly staff -- Definately not, all were pleasant and helpful.

Poor Food -- again not so, would rate, Dinner 7/10 - Breakfast 9/10

It seems that certain guests appear to expect 5 star comfort / service / facilities / cuisine from a 3 star establishment.

Always remember "you get what you pay for" and my Wife and I felt our stay was most enjoyable and excellent value.

I would say for us the only downside was that although the Hotel is in a very pleasant & quiet tree lined avenue it is not close to any Pubs / Restaurants and on our second night we went into Bournemouth and visited TAPAS PLUS, Bourne Ave.

Absoloutely BRILLIANT -- Great Food / Wine / Atmostphere
-------------------------------- --------------- ------ ------------------ GIVE IT A TRY !!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2011

A large busy hotel but good service and very helpful. Let down by quality of restaurant for evening meals. Breakfast excellent though. Good value when booked through a Golf package company.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Typical hotel mixture of style , combining two properties with interconnecting corridor and separate lifts. However for a short weekend, it was a good place to stay , very good service for buffet breakfast , good value for money , very large room for a family of 4. A short taxi ride from the train station , walking distance to beach , near lovely chine garden. Extremely clean but some signs of damp hidden behind curtains. Despite large windows, economy very small opening, so in the summer , rooms must be very hot - however some rooms have terraces . No frills hotel but very good value . Pool was available and good size, happy with children : ball room, swimming pool, table tennis , garden outside.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We've just returned from a 4night mid-week break here. I booked the hotel after finding the rate on booking.com of £45 per room per night for a double.

Good points:

The staff. I cannot praise the staff enough for their cheerful attitude and attentiveness. I emailed reception prior to arrival and received helpful prompt replies, and the majority of the staff throughout our stay were genuinely friendly, and all were thorough in their role.

The location: Just a 3 min stroll to the end of the road brings you out at the top of the Chine. From then it's a ten min walk downhill to Boscombe Pier and beach front. Stunning. And from there, a 20 min walk down the prom to Bournemouth.

The room size: Our room had a king sized bed, and our travel cot. There was a huge amount of space for our dog and daughter to waddle around in, plus to store the buggy and general gear that comes with travelling with a dog and baby daughter.

Breakfast: Typical hotel style breakfast of self service continental style..followed by a served full english or options from the menu. Poached haddock for me...and it was perfect. Huge brekkie..perfect for the hungrier among you.

Dog friendly: Our pooch was more than welcome, and there is a good sized garden to let him out in before bed time. Make sure you get the freebie advertised dog food though, as we forgot, and £7.50per night for pooch is not cheap.

BAD POINTS:

Our room, although large, was very shabby. Bath panel hanging off, stains on carpets, very poor decoration etc. I was disappointed as the room certainly didn't reflect the high standard I'd seen throughout the rest of the hotel.

Chef cannot cook a runny egg. We had 8 throughout our stay and not one was runny.

The bar food is not value for money. We ate here twice purely due to constraints of having young daughter with us, and all our meals were average in quality. Definitely not worth the £8.50 for a club sandwich which came with cold egg mayonnaise on rather than a fried egg. Small details you may think, but hubby doesn't eat cold egg so this ruined his meal. Maybe our fault for not returning the meal, but we're wary of returning food and getting a replacement with a few added extras...if you catch my drift...

To sum up our holiday, we had a well located hotel with friendly service, for a budget price. We won't be returning though, as I would prefer to stay in a room a little less like an old battle weary travel lodge.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Whilst I am not used to residing in the Dorchester on a regular basis, I would agree with the other reviews on here. For a single room, it was clean but very tired. The shower head was so clogged with limescale that the only water which managed to escape was through a side hole...making showering impossible. The toilet flush was next to useless. The toiletries were pretty grim too. I had forgotten my toothepaste, sadly they didn't have a spare tube...until I saw several in their display cabinet the next morning.

The cooked breakfast was excellent: fresh, hot and good quality. Think they should really serve tea/coffee to the table though.

Generally the staff were pleasant if a little rushed off their feet.

Nice to have a hairdryer and iron in the room, albeit from the 60's. For the reduced price it was fine - but I wouldn't stay here for anything other than the location, cooked breakfast and a cheap place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We arrived for a "romantic relaxing" dance weekend!

Friday evening Dinner: the parsnips were burnt such that my wife couldn't cut them but also they were cold, as was the plaice, with a limited and inappropriate selection of vegetables to go with plaice.
Breakfast was not only completely self service (tea, coffee, toast, butter, condiments, juice, fruit, cereals, everything,) but you were also asked to clear your first course plates and cutlery onto the clearing tray on a separate table before taking your second course! (This is SERVICE ForestDale Hotels style. And also a first for me from anything from being at home to a B&B!!)
The room was excellently cleaned, However: the room was dark and one light was missing a bulb. This was not repaired 24 hours after it was reported.
From about 3 am to 6 am each night a motor which sounded as if it was a fan motor started, ran for 4 seconds, stopped for 4 seconds. and then repeated this start stop routine. It would be more sleep inducing if it just ran, or stopped, but this series of start stop sounds was horrible. (It might be like a flickering neon light to an epileptic!)
Having complained about the burnt cold food on the Friday night, on the Saturday night we were served first and the food was excellent. I hope the other guests served last were as pleased.
The pool was adequate and excellent. However, the gents changing room had broken seats, broken clothes hooks, and lockers without locks! The shower area was unlit and therefore it was impossible to read the temperature and tap signs on the controls. The pool towels were however were very lush.
The room we had was quite large, but it was hot and the radiotor valve could not be moved open or shut. It was seized.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple