“Pretty grim, really not good value for money”

New Westcliff Hotel
Ranked #50 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Decided to go for a weekend in Bournemouth with a mate, we booked a twin room with breakfast. The bill came to £104.

We arrived and the guy on reception was very friendly, got us our room key quickly and told us where we needed to go. The first thing that hits you walking through the corridors is the smell of cooking. When we first arrived the smell was cooking oil but that evening it had changed to some sort or spicy food.

We got to our room and laid down on the beds only to discover they made the most horrendous creaking sound. Even the slightest movement made the loudest noise. After 10 minutes we decided that the noise was so loud we would end up waking each other up during the night. So went down to reception and asked for another room.

We were given another twin room, this was essentially in the attic of the hotel. Upon arrival we checked out the beds straight away. One was just as loud as the beds in the previous room, the other seemed ok so we decided to put up with it and use earplugs!

The rest of the room was pretty dismal, the TV was tiny and had a portable aerial on top which you had to move around everytime you wanted to change channels. We only managed to get 3 channels and the reception was pretty bad.

The worst part of the room by far was the bathroom. Because we were in the attic the bathroom was triangle shaped with the bath against the wall. This meant for someone like myself who is 6ft tall the only place you could actually stand up in the bath was the middle. The problem with this is the shower hose for the handheld shower would not reach that far (see picture). I ended up having to shower on my hands and knees. The shower head itself was tiny and the water kept going hot and cold.

The bath itself had a hole in it, the toilet seemed to have a leak and was running all day and night. In addition only one bulb in the bathroom worked.

The next day we were hoping breakfast would make up for the poor room. Sadly this was not the case. The breakfast was just as bad. The sausage must have had no more than 5% meat content, the bacon was like a leather sole out of a shoe and the egg wasn't cooked properly. The only nice thing about it was the toast!

So overall a pretty bad place, personally I could have dealt with this had we not paid £104, the place is worth no more than £60 at best.

Room Tip: Avoid room 55!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank HW_Reviewer

Reviewed December 4, 2010

We paid £65 for a double room including breakfast at this hotel which is ideally located near the beach in Westcliffe, Bournemouth. The hotel has a large car park and is a lovely old building. Inside the reception is well manned and there's retro but lively bar just to the side. The rooms are small and I found them to be in need of a good clean. The tv was absolutely tiny and the picture was grainy. The bed had a massive dip in the mattress which made for an uncomfortable sleep. The furniture is in need of a good clean-in fact they should burn it all and start again. The walls really need a new lick of paint as the yellow and blue really isn't working. The breakfast served the next morning was delivered by a gaggle of teenagers who didn't really want to be there. This was an average but decent breakfast with the usual accompaniments of random sugary cereals and tinned fruit. This hote could do with a good scrub and a freshen up but to be fair it's ok. The service and location is good.

• Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank TheLittleWelsh
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I belong to a walking group and we booked a 5 night DBB stay at this hotel at the beginning of November. Some of the group had stayed before but it was my first time. Like the weather it turned out to be a good choice of hotel. The staff were very good and always friendly, particulary the waiting staff. I had a single room with a bath and shower. The room was small but comfortable but the bathroom made up for it. Others in the party who had double rooms only had a shower and they were very jealous of my bath. It was not clear when booking that you only get a bath with a 'Superior Room'. The food menu was varied and the quality and presentaion was good. Bearing in mind the hotel is only 2* you would be hard pressed to get better value in Bournemouth.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 3, 2010

the hotel was lovely and the the atmosphere of the hotel and staff was enjoyable every1 was pleasant and happy to help i would recommend this hotel to every1

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed July 24, 2010

service was really good room was comfortable a great location liked every thing about the hotel.good value for money will be going back again soon.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I have just returned home from staying here, I found some of the other reviews to be very wrong. Yes its not a modern hotel, but is very clean, very warm and friendly. On check in I was asked if I had a good journey and effectively checked in, with everything about the hotel explained to me. The food is very traditional, but well cooked. and a sobet course was a nice surprise. The bedroom was warm and clean, I slept well. Yes areas could be refurbished, but that can be said about most hotels I've stayed in. I think it is very good value for money, with friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I spent the weekend here after a positive recommendation from a friend but have to say I was very disappointed with the hotel. Our room was on the top floor and was tiny. Once they had crammed in a bed and a wardrobe there was no room for anything else. The bathroom was even worse and we had trouble brushing our teeth in the minute sink. The were no shampoo or shower gel provided which I would expect at 100 pound a night. There was also no lamp in the room which meant having to get up all the time to turn the light on.
Breakfast was poor and basic to point where I asked for a bacon sandwich and they couldn't even be bothered to make it. Instead I got the bread and bacon seperate.
The swimming pool is tiny and the whole hotel is tapped in an 80's time warp.
The only good thing I can say is there is ample car parking and the staff are polite and friendly.
I got the impression the hotel is for the older generations. The most ironic moment was seeing the manager drinking in the Hallmark Hotel next door which seemed a lot nicer.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple