“Wonderful treat for the whole family.”

Norfolk Royale Hotel
Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed September 8, 2010

What can I say about our stay at the Norfolk Royale in Bournemouth other than fabulous.
I have stayed at this hotel a number of times but this was definitely the best stay yet.
The location of the hotel is perfect. It is near all of the amenities, the beach and the lovely gardens but still has a quiet location. The hotel itself looks beautiful and we were lucky enough to have a balcony which is the perfect place to sit and relax after a busy day on the beach. The weather was also perfect and the children thoroughly enjoyed the beach hut provided by the hotel (it really did make a difference to the beach experience).
The staff were very friendly and made us feel very special, bending over backwards to meet our needs.
The food at the hotel is fantastic and they have a great childrens menu.
If you feel like a treat ask Krystian the wine expert to make you his very special sangria. Which he serves with a warm smile.
We will be returning again soon.

There are newer reviews for Norfolk Royale Hotel

Reviewed August 31, 2010

Stayed for one night over the bank holiday with my husband 3 teenage children & my parents both in there late 70s.We had standard rooms and all were modern, large and of a very high quality. Each bedroom were very clean and the beds very comfortable. The rooms were at the back of the hotel so no noise. The hotel staff were very friendly and the maids were all pleasant. Breakfast was very good, plenty to choose from and very hot. Coffee & tea was served at our table. Overall i would not hesitate in recommending this hotel and would definately return in the future. Anyone who complains about this hotel must be extremely fussy.

Reviewed August 31, 2010

My partner and I only visited the hotel for dinner with a view to booking a holiday here at some point in the future. The menu looked tempting but the food was a great disappointment. For a 4 star hotel one would expect high class cuisine. This was definitely not. My partner's mixed grill (a strange dinner option) was overcooked, the lamb chop was extremely small and the chips were what I would call pub standard. My small pieces of trout were also overcooked and were accompanied by a cold potato salad in what could have been a mass produced sauce. The green beans were excessively al dente. The Cointreau coffee was good but why a subsidy for my partner's cheese and biscuits that he chose instead of the dessert ? Tables were too close together and staff were almost too intrusive in their questioning of our appreciation of our dinner.
The lounge and surrounding areas were fine but the food is an essential part of a hotel's viability and this was not 4 or even 3 star standard in our estimation.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank artichoke87
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I was a bit shocked to read the previous review as I was extremely pleased with the hotel - and I am a very critical person. The breakfast was an excellent buffet choice and most definitely not cold. In the evening we ate in the hotel restaurant on the ground floor. I did see the brasserie that the other reviewer was talking about which is across the road from the hotel but I didn't realise that this was evan part of the hotel and not sure why they ate there when the hotel restaurant is within the hotel. Anyway, food was perfectly fine but I would recommend you eat earlier rather than later as it does get very busy and the guests who came in later were waiting a long time to be served. This certainly does need to be improved upon. The hotel receptionists were very pleasant on arrival and during the stay. The room was spacious with an excellent shower. They do have the fan in the bathroom constanly working and it is loud which can be irritating but it does go off at 10pm. We only had one child staying so the hotel had raised somehow the top bunk making it unavailable to sleep in. However, from a H&S issue, this then made the bottom bunk quite dangerous as when folded, the edge of the top bunk was only a few inches away from my son's head and he banged his head 3 times in the night. I will be emailing the hotel about this. Therefore, if there are 3 of you in the room, ask them to make up the top bunk before you arrive. The swimming pool is small but warm. As you can see from the hotel website, it is situated in a glass dome in the garden. This can make you feel like you are being watched from those in the garden and that you are in an aquarium. My husband said the sauna was one of the best he had used. There is also a good steam room. The garden is very pleasant with rattan furniture everywhere. Perfect for my afternoon earl grey tea moment. We had no problems with pigeons as on our balcony, they had installed metal spikes to stop the problem. Another good point is that they have a Wii that you can hire - perfect for after dinner with children if it is too cold to have a walk. Yes I agree that the underground car park is a lot of money and I think this should be free. It's quite scary when you drive in as you have to stop on an extremely steep slope before pressing in a code to open the iron gates. The location is excellent though - right in the town and a short walk through the gardens to the beach.

Reviewed August 24, 2010

This hotel has a few problems:

1. It charges extra for just about everything - even coffee after the evening meal! I don't drive, but if I did, I think I'd be a bit dismayed at the daily charges for parking on-site.

2. The food is pretty bad. For example, the self-serve cooked breakfast was stone-cold. I complained... I was ignored.

The evening meal was like something a drunken student might have cobbled together. My wife and I ended-up eating out.

3. The dining room is quite crowded and has no atmosphere.

According to the Royale's own site, their "Echoes" dining room is a pleasant, cosy, convivial place. It is not.

4. It is situated (no fault of its own) opposite a church refuge of some kind. It was a little disconcerting to see about 20 vagrants lined-up outside the place, as we made our way to a bar one evening.

5. No air conditioning.

6. Pigeons had twice made their way into our room. I suspect that this is not uncommon, and explains why the windows open only about 1.5 inches. Not narrow enough to disuade the pigeons, though.

On the positive side, it was reasonably clean, which is more than can be said for the restauarant manager's jacket. I think it was the grubbiest I have ever seen, tramps excepted.

A big disappointment. Was glad to go home.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I stayed at the Norfolk Roayle for 2 nights with one of the nights being a Murder Mystery evening.
The Hotel was lovely and the standard of the rooms was excellent. We were a large party of 25 and everyone had a great trip and didnt have any complaints.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and hte Murder Mystery evening ran very well.
The location was ideal, only 2 minutes away from the centre and close the beach and the beautiful gardens.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Enjoyable one week stay near the centre of Bournemouth. Club rooms very good, although would benefit from air con'.

Good standards of cleanliness throughout hotel. Garden and public areas comfortable and pleasant. Pool clean but cold, jacuzzi lovely.

Food was very good, but many supplements for dinner (coffee, vegetables and cheese & biscuits)

Own car park - always got a space, but a little tight!

Would stay here again.