“another good experience”

Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Southampton, United Kingdom
“another good experience”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We spent two nights here with other family members who are staying longer. Our bedroom was lovely, clean and well decorated. The breakfast choices were as good as ever and the evening meals lovely. Despite a wedding being held here on The Sat night the staff did not neglect their other guests in favour of the wedding guests. all in all a nice time was had. The hotel is in such a central position that it is not far to go to shops, pubs, the gardens, beach and pier. great location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Simon S, PA to General Manager at Norfolk Royale Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Rebecca T

Thank you once again for your Great Revue of The Norfolk Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Jennifer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

myself and partner decided on a last minute short break and chose this hotel for its amenities and position. The hotel was well worth visiting the room on the top floor was extremely comfortable.Ok there were a couple of minor blemishes but as the building was old these could be overlooked. The decor was plush and pleasant the exterior showed off the victorian / edwardian period. The leisure facilities although small were good. Mostly the staff were friendly with the exception of the breakfast waitress who had probably got out of bed the wrong side that morning.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

After searching loads of hotels in Bournemouth, and finding the Norfolk Royale on the website, decided to go for this hotel because it looked good and had good reviews and we only wanted a 4*.
We were two couples (family) - hotel is old fashioned, partly refurbished. Carpets in the reception and hall area a hazard, can trip over where they are "joined". We had a disabled adult with us and were concerned every time he walked with his walker over them.
Our room was on the first floor. The floor boards in the corridor and our room were SO creaky and loud, we felt awful for the guests below us. The room was a good size as was the bathroom. The carpet was not very clean, the bathroom is partly refurbished. Half old and a few new items, nothing special, just because they have Molten Brown in the bathrooms does not make it a great hotel. Old TV's, plastic mattress protector, could not move without it making a noise.
Our rooms were extremely hot. Could not open the windows because of the noise from the Mosque's loud speakers next door and the noise of the traffic. Thankfully, we brought our own fan.
The garage is a complete hazard if you drive a 4x4, expect to get your car damaged as it is nearly impossible to get into and out of the gates. I damaged my new car. We heard a couple trying to get their 4x4 out of the gate and it took them at least 10 minutes with the wife having to frantically try to direct her husband out without damaging their car. Hotel should warn their guests of the bad design of this garage. We were charged £13 per day for parking each (2 couples).
The disabled room was pleasant on the ground floor, bathroom not very clean, left over hairs on the floor. Unfortunately, there were guests next door who smoked so much that the smoke filled my sister and her husbands room - so could not keep the windows open. Were charged a different price every time we ordered the same amount of coffee. We did have lunch in the garden which was okay nothing special, but overpriced.

On the plus side - the garden was pleasant to sit in and the staff were friendly. Did not use the restaurant nor the leisure facilities.

Personally, I would not stay there again. If you are okay to pay high prices for a fair hotel then go, but I would expect more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 512Kathy1234
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Just returned from a horrible stay at this so called 4 star Hotel.
We arrived Thursday night, and were allocated a double room.

1. A light bulb needed to be replaced
2. There was only one mug in a double room
3. The mirror was resting on the floor
4. The Mattress was tied and dated, and you could feel the springs. Very little sleep was possible.

The following morning, after not sleeping well, I had to point out
that we had booked a King size room, and not a double.
Again this was resolved, but it should not have had to be, and we
wasted time in our day sorting this out, and the restless night meant
we had had no breakfast.

After the new room was 'cleaned' we had to point out the toilet still
had urine on the lid, and at the back of the toilet. The lady who came
to resolve this came with the 'wrong cloth' and eventually only gave
it a wipe over. Later we realised there was the previous occupants
pubic hair under the bath mat which we washed away ourselves.

The old fashion television had not even got the standard freeview channels,
something you would expect from a 4 star hotel in the 21st century.

The experience of breakfast had been stressful.

1. Only been given 1 piece of toast each, and having to ask for more each time.
2. When I asked the girl collecting plates from our table if I could
have some poached eggs, she asked me to go and ask another lady 'over
there' so I had to leave my table and find someone else to serve me.
3. The staff are going around using a cloth to brush all the crumbs on
to the chairs, so when we come to sit down we have to brush them off
before we sit down.
4. In addition we witnessed one member of staff dropping the
cloth on the floor, and then proceeding to wipe the tables with the
same cloth.
5. My wife was still eating her piece of toast when the
waitress came along and took her plates, leaving my wife nowhere to
put her piece of toast back on to.
6. Finally I witnessed a girl using her hands to remove the Weetabix
from the jar on the counter, to empty the crumbs, and the again using her dirty hand
put them back in the jar to be used, along with new ones from the
packet.

Filthy and more akin to a 2/3 star establishment. Be warned do not use this hotel.

2 Thank Chalky73
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I recently spent 2 nights at this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

The hotel is clean, well presented (we had an exec room) and the staff are very friendly. The hotel has a pool, Jacuzzi and steam room/sauna all of which are a good size and we made use of.
Parking is available onsite for £13 a night, and the hotel allow you to use the car park all day on the day of departure, which is great for making the most of your last day. There is an NCP down the road charging £12.50 for the night… so worth the 50p to use a private gated car park in my opinion!

The hotel is paired with the local leisure club and facilities are available for guests to use free of charge. I would recommend asking the hotel to call ahead though as my partner and I were unable to swim (bigger pool, better for lengths) when we got there as they had lessons going on. It wasn’t a problem as we played tennis instead.

The only reason I can’t rate the hotel excellent is because the rooms do not have air con (we visited in the recent heat wave). There is a small bar/pub opposite the hotel which can be heard from your room only if you have the window open so you have to choose to sleep in peace and sweat it out, or lie cool and listen to the chatting.

All in all this hotel met my expectations. The location was perfect, hotel easy to find and room rate represented good value for money: I’ll be returning to the hotel the next time I'm back in b’mouth.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the property to avoid any noise should you chose to open your window.