“Nice but a bit tired”

Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Cumbria
“Nice but a bit tired”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Cannot fault location of the hotel and also the staff who were extremely welcoming and helpful. The hotel is looking rather tired in places and could do with a revamp but I do understand with the current climate may not be possible. Found the bathroom a bit strange in that to have a shower you had to sit in the bath as it was a hand held shower which was on a low hook near the taps with no shower curtain. Room was not spacious but comfortable. The bar area is good for a nice evening drink. Did not try the restaurant. The mention of usage of the outside pool next door , although at this time of year I did not plan to, was a definite no when on looking out of the window saw what I can only describe as a pond by the colour of the water and yellow hazard tape around the outside. Perhaps could drain or cover which would provide a better impression. Wi fi also a bit hit and miss. I will say that I have had better value for my money at the likes of Premier Inns. I would not pay full price for this hotel. What I paid I feel is the right price. Having said this the hotel served the purpose for which I required and I go back to my opening statement staff were excellent.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed February 26, 2013

was booked in Ocean View Hotel but as three hotels together appear to work together I was changed to Cottonwood; They said they emailed me to let me know, but I never received one, but, I was quite happy with arrangement as Cottonwood a lovely hotel and I could not have afforded their rates when booking.
could not afford the extra for seaview but got 'family room', double and single bed. Was at back of hotel near boiler, room 14, but noise from boiler only heard in bathroom, so not a problem. Lots hot water for bath and plenty heating on. weather was freezing.
was there for sad occasion but found staff helpful, especially Jackie on reception, most kind.
Bar lovely, breakfasts good, meal deal good value, although my husband shocked at portion size, lack of..
good location.
Only downside: walls very thin, could hear people above and on last night no sleep due to amourous couple next door, Harry met Sally plus plus all night long!!
also chamber girl ignored do not disturb sign and continously entered room when most inconvenient.
Oh and despite numerous attempts no wifi which really upset my week's events re contacting for funeral, most upsetting, got codes from reception a number of times but just could not get connection.
staff in dining room excellent at breakfast, used dishes removed like lightening, tea/coffee appear instantly.
carpet did not appear vaccumed but bed linen spotless as was bathroom.

Room Tip: hard to say, maybe top room so noone above making noise
Torpoint, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Having previously lived in Bournemouth and seen the hotel in passing I was happy to try the Cottonwood out for a weekend.

The price was pretty good for a 2 night weekend break and with a central location we couldn't complain. I personally liked the decor and found it made good conversation if anything. OK it may not be 'boutique' but does it really matter as long as the hotel is pleasant and clean?

The hotel was clean and staff were nice enough. We absolutely loved the breakfast and really couldn't fault it. The croissants were lovely and buttery and the sausages and bacon on the hot breakfast were really tasty!

We were put in a family room - just the two of us. Which was a little odd as we didn't need quite so much room. Not a complaint at all just didn't expect such a big room. The bed was fine and room was lovely all in all.
A few people have commented about yellowish/brownish water from the taps. This did happen when we first got to the room - but to be honest it is kind of expected in an old building. It certainly didn't put me off in any way. Once the tap had run it was fine after a few seconds.

The down sides had to be that the shower doesn't clip on the wall. There is a clip for it by the taps but then you have to hold it above your head. This makes for washing your hair etc a bit tricky when you have a shower head to keep hold of.
The other down side was the noise. While the hotel was generally very quiet any conversations in the hallway were enough to wake us up and as our room was by/under the stairs anyone walking up them - well it sounded like they were falling their way up the stairs rather than walking. This put a big negative on the hotel for us as we were pretty tired travelling home on the Sunday. Such a shame!
I probably would stay here again if the price was good enough. I'd probably ask for a room away from the stairs though!

Room Tip: We had a room at the side of the building which still gave us Sea Views - so think twice before payi...
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Warm and friendly. Food very good, Chef Gary went out of his way to accomodate our requirements.We had room 2 overlooking the sea on ground floor, smallish as twin beds, but cosy. Slept very well. Only one downside the floorboards were very creaky and you could hear all the noises from floor above.
Small bath, nice shower, squeaky clean.
Overall value for money and satifaction, very good. Would definately stay again, but would ask for
larger room on higher floor..

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have to say that I was a little speculative about the hotel purely based on some of the reviews on trip advisor, I was however very pleasantly surprised. We stayed two nights in a double room with a sea view and booked via lastminute.com. We got a great deal and I must say that the hotel was great but I would never pay the base price of I think the nights we stayed which would have been £200 per night.

We stayed in room 17, which was actually 2 twins pushed together, but not really that big a deal because it was comfy and meant more room. The room was a good size, the sea view was a nice bonus. I believe that the hotel was exactly as described and looked like the photos that are online. The restaurant was great value for money and quaint. The place was what I would describe as quite qwerky and had some nice character.

I saw some reviews of the place being too cold which is not the case, in fact we had to have the window open at some points because even after turning off the radiator it was too warm.

The only negatives that I could really be picky about is because it is quite an old place.. the floor boards from the room above kept squeaking, the walls were also quite thin (suggest being on the 2nd floor of you are a soft sleeper) we could hear someone snoring during the night!

All in all I would definitely go back again, I really enjoyed Bournemouth and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

We paid £166 for 2 nights for future reference.

Room Tip: Second floor would definitely be quieter than the first. A sea view goes without saying.
1 Thank Michael C
EastcliffProject, Manager at The Cottonwood Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for your constructive comments on your stay at the Cottonwood and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. The sea views are truly wonderful aren't they. We're rather spoilt with our location on the cliff top; in some of our rooms you can enjoy the sea view from the bed. Be sure to keep an eye on our website for up and coming events and special promotions or join our email listing for our monthly newsletter. We look forward to welcoming you to the Cottonwood in the near future. Best wishes.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

after reading previous reviews from people who had stayed recently we were very apprehensive bearing in mind friends had also decided to join us as it was their anniversary this week also.
We had room 19,the views were wonderful the room warm and spotless,more friends were joining us for supper so 6 in total,we had the most wonderful meal,everyone was very impressed with all 3 courses staff were excellent and the chef Gary was superb with the lightest chocolate fondant ever!!! Without a doubt we will return!!! Thankyou `Cottonwood`.

Room Tip: we had room 19 which was far more spacious than our friends who had room 15???
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Cottonwood. We're so pleased you all enjoyed you stay and supper with us and very much appreciate the positive comments. Be sure to keep an eye on our website for up and coming events, Mothers Day and Easter are only just round the corner and Bournemouths Air Festival later in the year in August. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cottonwood Boutique Hotel in the near future.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked the cottonwood boutique for a family night away to enjoy the delights of Bournemouth for the weekend. Upon arrival we were asked to pay upfront, very unusual but anyway, we paid and proceeded to our room.....well upon entry, it was dirty and clearly had not been cleaned, there was hair on the floor, used cups still in the bathroom and false eyelashes on the floor!!! The decor was not as described, the word "boutique" would not come to mind, more like car booty, as that's where the furniture looks like it came from!
After overcoming the initial dirtiness, my husband turned on the shower and brown water filled the bath, for then the shower head to become unattached and spray the rest of the bathroom with dirty water, including myself!!!!!
The bedside lamps had blown and the phone did not work at first then had the worst line...also the "free wifi" would not connect......the room was also freezing......hardly the family room we'd paid for and where expecting!
Having never complained about a hotel before, we did....to be told the hotel was fully booked,the manager did come to our room, and conveniently had a room, that the guests had not arrived that we could swap with.......which we were overjoyed with!!!! Problem solved.....so we thought!

This room was much cosier and inviting, however we flooded the bathroom almost with the ridiculous shower curtain and the room was continuously noisy through the night, with banging...?? From where??

We ate in the restaurant and our daughters meal...well, was not what we ordered, or as described should we say, and my husbands steak, looked like the sole of his shoe....the plus side, the waiting staff were lovely and we managed to escape in one peace, and were laughing all the way home at the conversations we over heard in the restaurant from the other unsatisfied guests!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 41.........
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank MrsH633
EastcliffProject, Manager at The Cottonwood Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was saddened to learn that you did not have an enjoyable stay, a real contrast to our comments so far this year. I do believe that the brown water coming out of the taps was as a result to new pumps and other pipe work undertaken earlier in the month. We haven't had any other comments concerning this so it would seem to be a one off.

In regards to the general uncleanliness of the bedroom and fixtures not working, this is totally inexcusable and will be investigated fully together with the shower curtain being changed and the banging investigated.

I know our Head Chef will be disappointed that your meal did not reach your expectations, we very rarely have complaints over our food and will be looking into when you stayed and the team that were working that evening.

From a hotel perspective it is important that guests make us aware of any problems they are experiencing during their stay, as it enables us to try and resolve the problem whilst you are here. I'm glad that we were able to move you to a new room, which despite the banging on one night, was better received.

Many thanks for your valued feedback.

Best wishes.