“Sunday lunch”

Gilbey's Restaurant
Ranked #125 of 788 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Gilbey's Restaurant in Bournemouth is situated in the Liston Hotel which is two minutes from the Cliff Top Gardens in Boscombe Spa. The large open restaurant with polished oak floor and wall murals of Edwardian days on the pier compliments the cosy bar and entrance hall with original features dating back to the turn of the century. Our food is modern English/French with some influences from the rest of the World. The large open restaurant with polished oak floor and wall murals of Edwardian days on the pier compliments the cosy bar and entrance hall with original features dating back to the turn of the century. Our food is modern English with some influences from the rest of the World.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have just had a superb Sunday lunch, and I am a coeliac and also dairy intolerant, they catered wonderfully, gluten free bread, dairy free spread. I cannot fault them. Relaxed and were not rushed, would recommend that anyone should try it.

1  Thank Sueperksbirchwood33

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had seen the reviews so I was really looking forward to going. However on arrival all the tables in the small bar area were occupied so we were shown to a table in what I assume was the hotel ballroom area which was very brightly lit and lacked any atmosphere. Here we were served canapes,our drinks and our order taken. As soon as we were shown to our seats in the restaurant everything changed,the ambience improved, the service was excellent and the food superb,as I had been led to believe. If they can improve the bar area experience then everything will be 5 star

1  Thank popesterNuneaton
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I took a Client to Gilbey's for lunch yesterday. My Client works in Bournemouth and had never heard of this restaurant. I chose it purely based on Tripadvisor's ratings. This was meant as a late Christmas/ 'thank you' lunch for him. He was a bit skeptical initially, but as soon as the food arrived realised I had made a good call. The seafood selection was fantastic, the staff could not have been friendlier - it was almost like that scene in National Lampoons' European Vacation where the Griswold family visit -who they thin- are their relatives in Germany! Proper old-fashioned service (and I mean that in a good way). We shall come again. Great if you are bored with usual, run of the mill high street mediocrity/blandness and fancy a change. Please keep it up! Superb value for the quality of food on offer.

1  Thank ChrisNLondon
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Considering that this restaurant is rated no 1 of 270 restaurants in Bournemouth, I am curious to know what the standard is of all the others. The many reviews in Trip Advisor are superb, but sadly I cannot write anything similar. The service was excellent, the restaurant spacious and quite comfortable, decor is dated, but the food only just above average. This is not Masterchef Standard. Strange that Trip Advisor gives this restaurant such a supreme rating. Did we visit on an off day, or are all other restaurants in Bournemouth sub-standard? This experience has shaken my faith in Trip Advisor. What now?

3  Thank LesPains-Pedro
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went here for a n anniversary meal. Had drinks in the bar and then showed to out table. The staff were lovely. Attentive, but not pushy. Meal was wonderful and the little sweet tasters served with coffee were a special round off to a lovely evening.

Thanks