“Mum's 70th birthday treat”
Review of The Queens Hotel

The Queens Hotel
Ranked #54 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My mum wanted to hide away for her 70th birthday so I decided to take her away for a treat to a hotel. Got an amazing deal through living social (cant say how much in case mum reads this) which was for 2 nights stay Bed breakfast and 4 course evening meal. Wine in our room on arrival (it wasn't in the room but reception sorted that out immediately which ensured it was nice and chilled when we wanted it) wine with our first nights meal and dinner again on the second night. The food was fab and the staff and manager of the restaurant were lovely. Our room was a basic twin. It needed a little tlc - the trim on the furniture was a little tatty for example. The balcony was a little tatty too but it was too windy to sit out on our stay so not an issue for us. However the beds were clean, we had clean towels each day and we slept well in comfy beds so no complaints at all. We used the pool and jacuzzi each morning before breakfast which was nice. We had a lovely stay, the staff were helpful and friendly at all times and the breakfast and dinner were excellent. What could improve the experience is that the rooms should have information in them about the facilities (eg that you need to ask for a towel at reception, you need money for the locker) and also to include details and prices for the pampering stuff. Also some local info in the room would be good. We went to the Russell-Coates museum and art gallery which is a 10 minute walk down the road. We found out about it from the helpful receptionist but others may not chat to them so info in the room would be helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay which was a great deal and would do so again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jofriday6
DanielMarshGM, General Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

The bedroom information folders were in the process of being updated. They are packed full of useful information about the Hotel and surrounding area.

Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss this further.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,522)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here with my colleagues for three days in the month of May. It is really a beautiful and classy hotel- very well equipped with all the modern amenities, very clean and wonderfully located. Accommodation, style, food, everything is perfect here. All the staff members are very polite and efficient. They helped us with everything. Overall it was a great stay and we would love to recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Roland W

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here when we saw Jimmy Carr at the BIC. We could walk into Bournemouth easily and the room was clean and comfy. Breakfast was not great but couldn't fault anything else. Would def use again but would get breakfast elsewhere!

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

Good choice of show, as Jimmy Carr is very funny. I am so pleased you had a positive experience with us. I have passed your kind words on to the team.

Do give us another chance at breakfast, as I am convinced I can change your perceptions here.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed for one night and, although they had a coach party in, there was no disruption or deterioration in service. The evening meal was expertly prepared and served with no delay even though they also had a large group as well as the casual diners.
The hotel is a short stroll from the cliff lift which links the beach and undercliff walk with a walk to the pier and central Bournemouth. Plenty of parking but a peaceful area to stay in with no external noise on the Sunday night when we stayed.
All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John2837

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Get ready, this review may be quite long!! Myself and husband had our wedding vows renewed at The Queens after being married only two months. So for some, this was an actual Wedding and on behalf of the hotel, they didn't disappoint.
We had been in contact with Gemma from the hotel from our first visit to the hotel. She was very friendly and helpful. She went out of her way to make our day special and it really was.
The room was large. clean and had a bar and access to the garden which was just the right size for our guests. The room was warm but the day itself was and with lots of people moving about that is expected and we could all pop out to get fresh air, whenever we felt the need.
The food for the event was a BBQ which was really really nice. There was enough for everyone and the people I spoke to really liked the food and people with special requirements were catered for too. Again, the evening buffet was plentiful and everyone was stuffed, Ready to burn it of on the dance floor!!
The staff were super helpful with providing us with the stuff we needed, although they forgot wine glasses on the tables. A small mistake in the scale of things.
The bedroom itself(The Windsor suite) was very large. A nice four poster bed and sofa's. It had ocean and fourth floor views. Again the room was warm but the day itself was too. Opening the window brought in a slight breeze. The bed was o.k and the shower too. If they had been better i would have given this a five star rating.
The breakfast in the morning was your regular hotel breakfast but I found it really nice, as did my husband.
For the price we paid, we are really happy with how our wedding party went and so were our guests who all had a fabulous time.
If you are thinking of staying here or wedding here I would say do it. You won't be disappointed.
On a separate note, its close to the beach and town centre too.

Room Tip: We stayed in 412. Large room with a view of the ocean. (which is always a bonus!!)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank vickyandsteve

It was a brilliant day, thank you for choosing us, and thank you for taking the time to write a comment.

I am so pleased you had a positive experience with us. I have passed your kind words on to the team – we all enjoyed the Irish band! I wish you every success and happiness in your life together.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Arrived here on a Friday, to stay two nights as we were going to a wedding in Poole on the saturday. Check in was fast and easy. The receptionist was very helpful and told us everything we needed to know. We had a room on the second floor, and they had placed us in a room next to our friends.

The room itself was great, we had one double bed and one single bed, a tv, lots of storage and a nice bathroom. The bed wasnt very comfy - you could feel the springs but there is no noise at all here, so apart from the bed, you should be able to get a good nights sleep. My only negative about the room was the location of the mirror/plug sockets. All the sockets were too far away from the mirror to be able to do my hair. Had to straighten my hair without a mirror.

We came home early hours of sunday morning, and wanted food. The night porter was great fun, he even found us a pizza takeaway number because we didnt fancy anything on the menu, he was also a really nice guy and a great laugh, one of those people that really do go above and beyond their job.

The location of this hotel is great, 30 second walk to end the of the road and you're right on the coast, and it really was beautiful. The rooms were very nice and the hotel in general was well presented and the staff excellent.

Breakfast was FANTASTIC, possibly the best hotel breakfast i've had, I usually find when its a buffet everything seems a bit over cooked - but not here, everything was cooked to perfection.

I can't comment on the spa as I didn't use it due to lack of time. But I did breifly see the gardens and they were well kept and looked beautiful. We checked out at 10.30am on the sunday, and the staff were kind enough to store our bags for us until we left at 7pm.

I would definitely return to this hotel, the staff really did make the place great, also it has a great location. The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is because the beds really are not very comfy, and the mirror/pug socket nightmare.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura C

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

I am so pleased you had a positive experience with us. I have passed your kind words on to the team. We get a lot of excellent feedback about Philip who works during the night, and incidentally he has won employee of the month at the moment.

Thank you once again, and I hope you enjoyed the wedding, and the next time you come and visit we will have improved the beds and mirror / plug issues.

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Having read a lot of these reviews, we went with open minds. The service was great and the food lovely. It does exactly what it says on the tin... Great for a 3 star hotel. I honestly don't know why some of the reviews are so harsh. The only thing that was slightly annoying was the room/hotel was quite warm, but....

• Stayed: June 2013