The Queens Hotel
Park Central Hotel(Bournemouth)
$121
  • Beachfront
$166
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
$133
$96
$192
  • Beachfront
Riviera Hotel & Holiday Apartments(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
$108
The Cumberland Hotel(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
$155
$150
Ramada Encore Bournemouth(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
$98
$82
Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
$113
$107
Travelocity
  • Pool
Royal Exeter Hotel(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
$101
$87
Priceline
$108
$85
1,553 results
All reviewsboot campevening mealthe clifftown centrebootcampdiscocoachpier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The service was terrible. The staff were rude and so disorganised. We had to wait for 50 minutes for our main course and we ordered bread rolls 5 times that actually never arrived!!!

I asked to speak to the duty manager and he never arrived. They run out of main courses and desserts and the staff were more concerned about setting up for breakfast rather than looking after us.

Just don't stay there.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Ykere
DanielMarshGM, General Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

In not every circumstance I am able to have first experience of those wishing to a write a comment on Trip Advisor, but the following reviewer was made aware to me during a dinner service by the Restaurant Manager.

When a food order is taken the time is written on the docket; it did not take 50 minutes for the main courses to arrive. As regard the bread rolls, each guest on the table had one bread roll some consumed two. It is not unreasonable to draw a line here, as it is a substantial meal of a starter, main course with a selection of vegetables, a dessert and coffee.

I met the reviewer when he refused to pay for a bottle of wine, he consumed. He then proceeded to boast that he had entered a review on Trip Advisor, previously during dinner. It is discourteous to other guests to use a mobile phone in the restaurant. Nevertheless, grace did not seem to be a highly regarded character trait.

I requested that I could help the reviewer by reserving a different Hotel for him to stay, in Bournemouth or the surrounding areas more suitable to his tastes. After a brief meeting with the reviewer I was avidly enthusiastic about undertaking this, but the reviewer pleaded to stay.

I look at this and I am sad. I will do absolutely everything possible to make a guests stay more enjoyable, or solve a problem. Hitherto, I will not accept poor behaviour while hiding behind the threat of issuing an insulting Trip Advisor review or posting one and then displaying all the characteristics of Braggadocio.

Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Hmmmmm interesting place if you are doing an Open University course on the 1970s......

Arrived late at night as planned but the hotel car park is extremely small. Luckily someone had thoughtfully coned off a prime parking spot and i was about to nick it but my wife kindly pointed out that was probably for the convenience of hotel staff, not paying customers, and so I shoehorned my car in elsewhere.

Very dated reception area but friendly receptionist who checked us in. We are staying a night extra prior to the wedding and so we did already know that we would have to move rooms because we booked the extra night last minute. However I did think it was a lovely touch when the receptionist exclaimed that we were in room 310 but not to worry because tomorrow we were in 307 which was much nicer.....

Lift is very small but once you are on floor 3 there are still another 5 stairs to lug your suitcase up. Room 310 requires a key to open but once inside there is no lock and only a flimsy door chain. The room and bathroom was clean but had very dated furniture and used an interesting technique of placing the tv as far away as possible from the plug and aerial but then having two long flexes stretching across half the width of the room.

The beds were a single for my daughter and a double for my wife and I. The double is only 4' 6 wide and to help the levels of intimacy the aged mattress caused both of us to roll inexorably towards the middle.

The little gems I spotted were:
A sign saying that if guests were found to be bringing their own alcohol to their room then a corkage charge would be levied
A room in the corridor titled 'Guest ironing room' Haha brilliant, I haven't seen one of those since the 1970's!!........oh hang on a minute.......

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank JeremyHeaven

Where would one wish to undertake an Open University course on the 70’s and for what purpose?

Your comments about the car park are unmerited. The car park has enough space for 55 cars. But, the point here seemed to have amused you and your wife – which satisfied your purpose.

Room 310 is a perfectly comfortable room, while room 307 is a suite. Of course room 307 is nicer – I am not disappointed that a member of the reception team was excited about sharing this with you and choosing to upgrade you.

On to your ‘little gems’ about corkage charge for alcohol in bedrooms, it would be insanity attempting to administer. This is the first time I have heard about this policy. But, it makes for good reading, and is all part of the fun theme intrinsic within each sentence.

Many of our guests utilise our dry cleaning services. There is also a designated iron room which serves a purpose.

I am disappointed that I am unable to turn back time as I would have sort to find you a different Hotel more in keeping with your style, and class.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Retro can be trendy but not in the case of this hotel - rooms basic, hotel decor not been touched for years and not very clean. I stayed on the third floor and my room could be reached by lift, however on taking the lift I still had to manage a large case up 4 more stairs before reaching my room. Luckily I am able to manage this activity but saw many guests who would find this a challenge.
Once I got Inside the room (another challenge with the dodgy lock) I found a large hair in my bath, dusty surfaces and a stained teaspoon. As a lone female one of the important things to me when traveling is security and I was worried that the ill fitting door with no additional lock other than a flimsy chain and no 'spy hole' offered little protection. The noise levels in the evening were excessive however on the morning of departure I noticed earplugs were available from reception - to me an indicator that the hotel is usually noisy (whether through other guests, thin walls or creaky floors). on the first evening I decided to tune my tv to the same channel as my neighbouring room to benefit from stereo sound that hearing their tv almost as well as my own offered.
The breakfast was hot and adequate but the additional fat sloshing in the bacon and sausage serving dishes should have been drained. On a positive note the young serving staff on Sunday breakfast duty were very diligently clearing and setting tables. Another first for me in staying at he Queens was to find that additional sachets of tea, milk and coffee would need to be purchased at 25p a sachet! There are many hotels or b and b's to choose from in Bournemouth and therefore I would be finding another one to stay at for my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Scousergirl

Thank you for your concern about other guests having to negotiate stairs to their bedrooms. The Hotel has an excellent Reservation Manager in Kelly Hillman and she always ensures that the most appropriate bedroom is assigned to each guest. For example, those who would be not comfortable with stairs will be allocated a bedroom on lift level.

It is not fat ‘sloshing’ in the bacon and sausage bowls and we do not serve the items with a soup ladle but instead with tongs.

I have passed your kind words about the restaurant team to their manager.

As regards sachets, we ensure that there is a selection of hot drinks available with the complimentary facilities in the bedrooms. There are several drinks that could be consumed. At breakfast time we offer our guests unlimited hot drinks. Similarly, there is a complementary coffee or tea to be taken with dinner. The bedroom sachets are replenished daily by the Housekeeping team. It is not unreasonable to request a small fee if a guest would require additional drinks.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Decided on this hotel for one night. Receptionist demanded payment on arrival, which has never happened to me, in all my life. On complaining, was told he was a trainee. Single room, very tiny, bed uncomfortable, and very noisy outside and inside. The only thing that redeemed this hotel, was the lovely breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: Don't book a single room, unless you are very thin !!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

There was not any intention of offending you by requesting payment on arrival. It is policy in many Hotels not just in this county but globally. I would go so far as saying the vast majority of establishments would seek payment on arrival.

I am pleased you enjoyed the excellent breakfast we offer. I have passed your kind words here to the Breakfast Chef – Emil.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you fancy a trip to a hotel that hasn't dragged itself out of the 1970's this hotel is for you! Altthougy please be aware this isnt a 70's themed hotel.... its just a bad hotel that hasnt been updated since the 70's.....

You can expect a 1970's dated reception, bar and meeting areas and Neil Sedaka piped music. The 'theme' does extend to the 1970's decorated bedrooms - which include the 'added' bonus of stained bed clothing, damp patches on the walls and actually NO natural day light - as the only window I had gave an interesting view of a fire escape - may be I should have painted a picture of a landscape/beach view on the fire escape?.....

The bedroom door with its flimsy lock led directly in to the bathroom... of which I wouldnt have used if I'd been able to hold my bladder for 48 hours as the toilet was not cleaned properly and there looked to be dried blood on the side of the bath.... The shower was actually a hand held one because the 'hook' that had been put up was the wrong size for the shower....

The hotel obviously recognises that there is a problem with noise from the rooms (!) and had therefore put in their welcome notes to guests that they could have a pair of ear plugs, which could be gained from reception... how thoughtful - not.

The food.... if you like 1970's food served on plates that looked like they where out of the 1970's (because of the chipped bits) - again, this is the hotel for you.... using silverkin pickled onions instead of shallots (I could taste the vinegar), tinned flower shape carrots and the ever popular prawn cocktail (with brown bread).. you would be in your element....

The majority of the staff seemed to be pleasant; couldnt tell with the chamber maids though - because they didnt speak English, me..... "which way are the stairs please?", chamber maid's reply, "yes"......

The only thing that wasnt 1970's was the bar prices... of yeah, they are well up there in 2012!

Disappointing and quite stressful I would describe my stay.... I should have taken my sheepskin coat with me (if I had one), and 'fired up the Quattro'.... but I didnt have either the car or the coat.... talking of which - come early to get a car parking space - the parking is dreadful!

I was ready to give the reception staff a little monolgue after I paid my bill.... but they didnt ask if I'd enjoyed my stay.... not surprised really - they're probably too used to getting people complaining.

If the manager from the Queens Hotel reads this - a bit of advice from someone who stays in hotels on a regular basis.... Knock the place down, rebuild and get staff in that would welcome a stint in the 21st Century....

Room Tip: Please make sure you dont have room 230 - its awful.... but the two suites on the same level of floor looked great... probably best to have a room on the top floor and then you dont get the 'elephant stampede' noise everytime someone in the room above you moves...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

We have not got a 70’s dated reception. The reason I am know this is because I can remember when the reception was created. Well, the previous reception was on the left hand side of the lobby when entering. Then in early 1987 the reception was moved to where it is today. This means the origins of the reception is from the 80’s, and there have been countless improvements since.

I know it does make for a more entertaining and super duper review to inject ‘70’s’ into most sentences and I am sorry to quell the fun with facts. Stereotypes too – they can captivate readers and may even encourage those to read all ten paragraphs of your only review on Trip Advisor.

I thought as such; that you weighed up being ‘ready to give the reception staff a little monologue’. I did not think you were the type of person to consider talking to any of the Duty Management team.

Your comments lack civility which have sadly tarnished anything which could have potentially been constructive. So much so, I do not wish to know, neither am I intrigued by your sentiments on ‘the suites on the same level of flo…’