“entertainment needed”

Ranked #55 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
South Staffordhshire
“entertainment needed”
Reviewed October 4, 2011

This was out first stay at the Queens. On the whole it was lovely. Our room was perfectly clean quite big with the added bonus of a balcony so we sat outside in the sunshine. The evening meal was superb. Beautifully cooked, presented and served, and a very good selection. All of the staff were polite and efficient.
The breakfasts for us were disappointing. We are "old school". We like to be served. Whilst we dont mind helping ourselves to cereals, standing doing your own toast is too much like being at home, and bacon and egg is never as good when its been standing a dish for a time.
The other disappointment was no entertainment at night, so after dinner we had to walk down the east cliff to one of the other hotels to find a bit of live music.
To sum up, for evening meal, leisure and room, this almost equals a four star, but we have had better breakfasts in 2 star

Room Tip: rooms on frot first floor have balcomy
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
DanielMarshGM, General Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

Thank you also for your kind words about the high quality of the bedrooms and the excellent standard of food. I have passed this on to the team.

At breakfast we offer the choice of self service should this be required or alternatively we will serve any items. The restaurant team are on hand to help. I am sorry they did not assist you more fully.

We do have a wide selection of entertainers in the Hotel. I am sorry that we did not have any live entertainment over the duration of your short stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss this further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Barmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Very good last minute deal, tremendous value with heated basement pool and spa etc all free, parking, excellent location in Bournemouth and pleasant staff. Don.t understand why they provide very poor beds.

Room Tip: Rm 117 is too noisy. Check beds first.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

Many congratulations for being one of the lucky ones to benefit from a last minute special offer. Thank you also for listing some of the facilities that you enjoyed during your holiday.

I am sorry to hear about the bed. Rest assured if this had been reported to the Duty Manager we would have endeavoured to remove it and provide a mattress more to your liking. However, thank you for brining it to my attention now.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Thank you Queens Hotel for a lovely stay. People are very quick these days to write in and complain and not so fast to say well done and thank you.

The welcome was first class from a friendly receptionist which is a credit. Also it was nice being called by my name rather than referred to as a number. The bedroom was spacious and clean. The food... well, dinner was excellent with plenty of choice in a grand restaurant. While breakfast was self service and cooked well.

There are leisure facilities in the form of a gym and indoor pool, but we did not use them, but they looked OK.

I would recommend the hotel to others and I will be returning again.

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

This is a splendid review which I am very proud to receive. We do aim to use guests’ names, thank you for highlighting this. Thank also for recommending the cuisine.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed at the end of August and found that The Qeens Hotel is a nice place for a short getaway. The room was nice and the bed comfortable (pillows especially). Breakfast had a good choise. We used the Swimming pool and Sauna and enjoyed our stay a lot!
Would come back again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RV22
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

I am pleased you found the bed comfortable and enjoyed the variety we offer at breakfast.

Chertsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Having suffered the stress of the local Travelodge we found this hotel at a time when we almost abandoned our 43rd Wedding Anniversary celebration.
The breakfast was superb, and the evening meal even better!
The Staff were very welcoming.

2 Thank 3Tom
DanielMarshGM, General Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

I am so sorry to hear of the problems caused by another Hotel in Bournemouth. Thank you for finding us and choosing to stay during such a special occasion.

Thank you for your kind words, which I have passed on to the team. I am absolutely delighted that we could contribute to you enjoying your anniversary.

Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Pleasant stay - helpful, friendly staff, excellent food - BUT the ramps up to the front entrance are for wheeling luggage ONLY! We were told that disabled guests must NOT use them to go up/down in wheelchairs or mobility scooters or even on foot as they are TOO SLIPPERY & DANGEROUS! There seems little point in having them if ALL guests have to use the steps - I suspect they are only there so that the "Hotel has ramps" box can be ticked!

Room Tip: All rooms are different - but not all have opening windows. Check this out if fresh air is important...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank BobblenoseWarwicks
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the excellent levels of customer service and magnificent food. I have passed your kind words on to the team.

The front ramps are able to be used by disabled guests visiting the Hotel. I have seen mobile scooters and wheel chair users utilise this facility. Naturally, because they are a ramp and they do have a gradient, a certain amount of care must be given. Thank you for identifying this. However, our policy is to always offer assistance and a member of the team is available to help should any of our guests require.

kent
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Having read some of the reviews here I booked with some trepidation through Late Rooms, warning my husband that it might be a bit basic. Nothing was further from the truth! On arrival the staff were extremely welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. We were given a room on the first floor, quite near the bar but this wasn't a problem. The room was delightful and had been refurbished to a very pleasant standard. It was also very clean, as was the spacious and lovely en-suite. The shower was powerful, a joy. We dashed straight down to enjoy a swim and found the pool delightful, not too small at all as some reviewers had said. It was only 4 foot deep but that is not really a problem, you can swim easily. The sauna and steam room were an added bonus.

We would have liked to have had dinner but unfortunately the restaurant closed at 8.30 p.m. and there was not enough time. The menu looked appetising and a three course dinner at £22.00 was very reasonable. We did have breakfast the next morning, and could not fault it with a huge choice at the buffet. Very good quality. All in all a super break and would recommend to anyone.

1 Thank AmareEv
DanielMarshGM, General Manager at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the Hotel.

Although it is our intention and we do try our hardest, we cannot seem to please everyone all of the time. There are occasionally some guests who unfortunately choose to not wanting to be satisfied and are determined to not enjoy their trip and I am sorry that you and other readers of Trip Advisor have had to encounter this.

It is a pleasure and very rewarding that you enjoyed the Hotel and its facilities, along with noting the excellent levels of customer service. I have passed these kind words on to the team.

The last orders in the restaurant are 8.30pm, but we do offer a 24 hour bar snack menu. All the food we have available is brilliant quality, thank you for commenting about this.