“Enjoyable 3 night stay”

Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable 3 night stay”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Firstly, we are not in the habit of 'reviewing' hotels but feel some are unfair to this hotel. We had an enjoyable long weekend stay and were not disappointed. It is rated 3 Star (not 4, or 5) and as such we think The Cumberland is a good 3 Star hotel!

We did pay extra for a front facing room with balcony and lovely sea views - which we enjoyed, even in the rain! Our room was on the second floor and was quiet! The room was clean with modern style decor and refurbished bathroom with a hot shower!

The main impact at The Cumberland has to be the impressive Art Deco styling in the ground floor areas which, especially in the evening, has a definite air of glamour which we enjoyed! Each evening during our stay the hotel held a wedding reception and we were concerned that after our evening meal there might not have been anywhere to sit! But were pleased that the hotel has sofa's reserved for residents and so this wasn't a problem.

We ate in the Mirabelle restaurant where there were a variety of good, tasty meal choices each evening and the staff provided a friendly and quick service, no complaints. Outside, we also relaxed and enjoyed some October sunshine with a quiet afternoon drink in front of the pool. We would stay at The Cumberland again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkR R
KevinWood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear MarkR R , thank you so much for an extremely well balanced and thoughtful review. The Cumberland by virtue of its high standards is often measured to a 4-5 star hotel, in reality as our mission statement says, we are a 3 star that offers much more. It really is nice to read a post that recognises this, once again thank you and look foward to see you again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,147)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Booked a last minute deal to fit in with some plans.
Met Tyne at Reception who could not do enough to help and advise and sort out a meal plan to accommodate my meeting and appointment.

I always love a 'Can do' mentality in customer service [a bit of what I do] and complimented her.

Thanks again for making a simple night away into a lovely one in a lovely hotel for my Wife and I.
[Loved the Cumberland Caesar Salad]

Room Tip: Search out the great deals
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Andrew P
KevinWood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Andre P, I am so pleased Tyne was able to enhance your stay, we often use the word "can do culture" in our training sessions, and in todays hospitality market it is a basic for the team at Cumberland. Really pleased your night away turned into a pleasant experience and do hope you return again soon.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I went to the Cumerland last year for my works due, It was a gorgeous place, lovely atmosphere and i had a room with a balcony view, Couldnt have been happier.....Until went into the shower, stood in the bath and turned the Hot tap on, which then come straight off! water hit the ceiling the scolding hot water went all over me! then i couldnt even put the tap back on... Called to reception, waited for 3 members of staff to arrive? Then the Manager did NOT even apologise or offer us another room, and someone else casually walked into our room whilst i was sat on the bed in a short towel, bare in mind i was only 16! then the old man from the other hotel was a caretaker who came in and fixed it and then started talking to me and my younger sister when all i wanted to do was get ready!! So i did complain, nothing happened, sent an email, nothing happened! Wrote a letter! Notrhing happened. I was emmbarrased for the hotel if im honest. Our christmas due is again here this year, but i will most definitely not be staying.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Katie W, I can confirm to the travelling public that the Cumberland does not alllow minors to stay in hotel rooms without adults over the age of 18 years. I am unaware of any works do that would permit a 16 year old and her younger sister to attend, this is an adult venue and a works christmas party is not the place for minors, this is actually school age, not working age!!! I can also confirm that we do not have any old caretakers or maintenance engineers so I must question your post!
On a general note if such an urgent problem as hot water spurting from a tap is reported to front desk, it is a certainty that maintenance would be arriving to this room to assist with the report in a timeley fashion, and it is advisable that any occupant would be clothed appropriatley. The consequences of such an issue has huge knock on effects for other rooms and floors below should water permiate the floors, the matter would be of high priority.
We have received no E mail or letter regarding the incident which was over 9 months ago and have never received any complaint such as this within the hotel last December?
Any guest who reports any maintenance issue that is not repairable at Cumberland would be offered another room if one is available.
In summary posts such as this are very upsetting for the hundreds of dedicated hard working staff that work at Cumberland and anyone using the public domain to vent should be extremeley careful what is posted and about whom!
West Midlands
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you love all things "Art Deco" then you will love this hotel. Its furnished in the Art Deco style furnishings, the ladies loo is lovely too!! Spacious throughout and in a good location, walking distance to the beach, and a must visit is Russell Cotes Museum.
Lovely breakfast and dinner.

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra then go for a room at the front with balcony, overlooking the sea!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jilly B, thank you for a marvelous review, we try very hard to maintain an Art Deco yet contemporary theme in public areas, I have passed this on to all the staff and chefs, hope to see you again soon.
Camborne
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We visited for a friends wedding at the end of August and stayed for two nights. The hotel was better than I was expecting, room was fine and staff were friendly and efficient. The first night was great, we had a lovely meal in the main restaurant with the brides parents. So far so good. later in the evening a customer was having a go at a female member of staff to which my hubby intervened and asked him to have some respect. He reported it to a manager and was thanked for his help. The following day was the wedding day, we came back for a fantastic reception, again good food and great staff. Then it all changed for my husband....we were asked to leave the room holding the reception so they could set up for the evening do. I went back to my room to change and came back to my husband with steam coming out of his ears.....he sat at a table in the bar that had sign saying "residents only after 7pm" so my husband sat down, he confirmed he was ok to sit there with the maitre d on the door of the restaurant who then asked him "are you a resident?" Hubby replied yes and sat down....the guy then asked what was the room number, what floor etc....to the point my husband said you obviously don't believe me lets go to reception and sort it out which the guy was reluctant to do. Whilst I appreciate they may have an issue with non residents at times nobody likes being called a liar !! When it was mentioned it to a manager the issue was shrugged off.....different when it was us who stood up for the staff the day before...
It was such a shame because up to that point we would have most definitely returned

Room Tip: Sea view I guess would be the best
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
KevinWood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Camborne Jules, after reading your review I thank you for your very kind comments regarding the hotel room, the great staff and good food, I can only apologise for the indescretion by a member of the team, I genuinley do not believe he meant to upset your husband. We do try very hard to balance the guest experience in the hotel and make sure our resident guests have enough seating, and non resident guests are encouraged to use the function room. We are not normally striict with this policy and the Maitre De should not have pursued this. Customer service is our forte and it is such a shame that one person put a damper on your stay, I can assure you it will not happen again and in incidents such as this, re-training is given, please do come back again and once again accept my apologies.
Yateley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I took my partner back to The Cumberland Hotel for her Birthday. It was a midweek break and our second trip to this fantastic Hotel. We were delighted to find that the same high standards of friendliness, professionalism and quality were still there. The staff - from Reception, both Restaurants, Bars etc were all so friendly and helpful and made us so welcome once again. It was great to see that Marco was still in the Restaurant. We were welcomed like long lost friends and it was the icing on the cake for the evening.
We had Room 113, Terrace View, lovely to see the sea and overlook the pool.
We cannot recommend this Hotel enough. It simply WORKS!!! We will be back again in November and are looking forward to it..
The Management have got it right in all ways, the main one being happy staff......

Room Tip: Try to go for the top floor as some floorboards above are creaky and obviously sea views are the bes...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

on arrival at the cumberland i found the lighting and decor of reception most pleasant and took in the ambience of my surroundings whilst my partner booked us in. we had a room on the first floor and as we stepped from the lift and made our way to our room i noticed that the decor had changed to that of "bog standard", the carpet felt like it had been laid on top of another and a musty stale smell emitted itself along the corridor.. the room was quite small and basic with average furnishings, the shower took ages to warm up and wasn't very good. the view from the window was of a roof with industrial pipes overlooking a car park.As the hotel was part of a group we were able to use the facilities of the hotels next door, this sounded great as there was an indoor swimming pool in one and also a jacuzzi that my partner was looking forward to using...that had froth on the top and looked like someone had conditioned there hair in it that my partner refused to enter on health grounds i had a swim from five to five thirty leaving me enough time to change and be ready for dinner, unfortunately i was unable to read the menu as my eyes had been severely affected by the chemicals in the pool, i contacted reception and told them of my situation and enquired as to if they had some kind of eye wash, i was told to go to ASDA, i replied i couldnt even read the menu, how was i expected to drive to ASDA, my eyes were streaming and it looked as if i was crying !, anyway i went back to my table and ate dinner, we then ordered sweet but staff failed to deliver this until 22 minutes later after we were asked if everything was ok, clearly not...on retiring to bed we were kept awake by another residents television and awoken at 7am by someone else's alarm clock. breakfast went ok that morning but the day after staff forgot to bring eggs done both sides so i ate whilst my partner watched and waited for eggs that never came, later that night we were kept awake again by what sounded like a bottle bank being emptied for well over half an hour....our lock on our door wouldnt open and we were asked if we had the right room...they've got numbers on the door to give you a clue, we were then told it had been locked from the inside, it opened after several attempts...........on the plus side, the weather was nice

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 319George
KevinWood, Owner at The Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear 319 George, I cannot help notice that your review is almost totally of a negative nature, even your dinner you mention waiting for a dessert, but make absolutly no compliment of any kind toward anything else with regard to your meal or staff, almost as if you have searched for any slight negative without fairly balancing your review.
I am fully aware and can totally accept that The Cumberland is not everyones cup of tea, this is quite normal and human nature. Our mission statement states very clearly what we offer as a hotel, and what we aim to give as an experience. I am satisfied that we do this very well, although also understand that some guest expectations are different.
I will point out that most Hotels have pipes, roofs and car parks that rooms overlook, I often book in London and almost always get a well room that faces a brick wall or generator. I dont complain, because I have not chosen to pay the extra to get a view! You got what you paid for, but at least it was not a well room!!
Swimming Pools are by nature chlorine dosed, and it is often up to the individual how long they spend in the pool, too long and eyes can be irritated. We have automatic dosing and levels are checked 4 times a day,! As a hotel we do not stock eye drops, and yes it is true that Asda do have a pharmacy. It would be extremely negligant in todays law suit society of any hotel to randomly issue eye drops however harmless you may think they are, and certainly it is not required of a hotel reception! They are sold in Chemist's for a reason!
We do offer a shopping service and could have purchased them from Asda for you on request, although we could not have issued them to you. This is the job of a pharmacist!
I apologies that your special order of eggs did not arrive on the second day, The Breakfast room always has two managers on duty in grey suits and it would have only required a quiet word and they would have been expedited, I can only assume there was a communication error in the first instance, as service at Cumberland is normally spot on!
Your lock is an RFDI lock, and it would be quite normal to double check if guests have the right room before assigning a maintenance engineer, believe it or not, this was not personal, and many times guests have mistakenly attempted to enter the wrong room, say 223 instead of 232, so just a polite question and nothing more.
I am very sorry that the Cumberland was not to your liking, we try and please everyone, but realise at times this is an impossibilty.