“Bitterly dissapointed”

Ranked #53 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Bitterly dissapointed”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Having just spent two days at this hotel we definately would not go back. We went with our 2 children & my wifes parents, we were given room 20 in the "cottage" which was awfull ....
TV didnt work no airiel lead the curtains in the bedroom didnt fit the main window, no blind on the bathroom window just a net curtain not even frosted glass so no way you could have a shower as you could see everythinng from the main carpark.. Even if you were brave enough the shower was just a trickle no water pressure, bedroom also full of cobwebs.
we asked for the room to be made up while we were out and when we got back the person who cleaned it had left rubbish on our bed..
Also when we booked it was a turkey & tinsel thing they had on, the hotel felt like an old peoples home I feel we should of been made aware of this at the time of booking
Swimming pool.. well this we thought was ok untill we came to get changed, absolutely filthy toilet hair all over the floor {CURLY ONES} paint peeling off, no lights in the shower so cant comment on that
Restaurant.. food was actually not to bad the thing that let it down was dirty table linen & staff didnt seem that organised also didnt think restaurant manager should be walking around with his neck tie halfway down his chest with his top button undone
Price paid £568 for two nights so come on hinton firs you will have to up your game if you want us back as we have been before many times but feel your standards have slipped drasticly

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank STEVECEDAR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Enjoyed a classic afternoon tea that was brought to us by the general manager himself. The tea selection we enjoyed was outstanding. We felt like royalty! I would recommend the afternoon tea to anyone. Delicious sandwiches, scones, chocolate eclairs and shortbread biscuits, with tea and bubbly champagne. Wowsers!!! What a treat on a dismally rainy day! It certainly brightened our day and made it so much more cheery! Warm and friendly ambience with the staff and throughout the whole hotel. I would go again and so would hubby! Thanks guys!! Good work!

• Stayed October 2012
tim_seward, General Manager at Hinton Firs Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Hinton Firs Hotel for Afternoon Tea

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea & found the Hotel warm & welcoming & you found all the staff very friendly.

It was a pleasure to meet you both & hope I can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hinton Firs in the near future.

Tim Seward
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for 1 night with a voucher deal. The service was welcoming and friendly and the staff very attentive, helpful and flexbile, even though it was a very busy weekend for them with a large function. Great location with only a short walk to East Cliff for the seafront and also close to the shops, cafes, bars and places to eat. The room was spacious and comfortable, although the decor was a little dated. The only critisim would be the shower is in need of an update. Cannot comment on the pool or spa as we were only there one night and didn't have time to use them. Altogether a nice place to stay for a weekend or short break.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

A lovely hotel in the quiet picturesc East Cliff area of Bournemouth. Very much aimed at the older end of the spectrum, example: Sunday entertainment, Downton Abbey show on the big screen in the lounge! The food was superb, unfortunately let down by inconsistent service. I was asked on more than one occasion if I was ready to order, even if I had already ordered. Other diners had to wait too long for their orders. All in all, not the best hotel I've stayed in, by far nowhere near the worst either!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MrJROConnell
Walthamstow
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Booked this hotel via a woucher as my daughter was starting university. Friendly welcome. Great room. Only downside,hard bed. We were met with. Cream tea which was to die for.booked a 3 course meal which included a bottle of Pinot Gregio for£15.99 each. Excellent food. Got chatting to an elderly gentleman beside us and recommended the fish. The service was first class. The lovely man turned out to be the owner. Could not fault the staff or facilities. Will defiantly be oing back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a day on a deal, good job it was a half price deal as would have wanted most of my money back. The only decent thing about this hotel was the buffet lunch, well presented and fresh food and friendly staff.. That's the good points over with. The Poole was dark and dingy, the place needed a serious clean and the changing room, filthy and swamped with water, only enough room for 2 to change at a squash, toilet was smelly and dirty , outside chairs were broken and pool looked very unkempt... Waiting to be served at the bar took forever even when ringing the bell for staff to appear... All I can say is I would not go back again deal or no deal....

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank LJMabey
London
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed in this hotel as a last minute booking due to it being impossible to find a decent B&B in the area which is my normal preference.

The hotel itself is rather odd as parts of it are quite nice and pleasant but other parts need updating. The location was ok, a nice walk down to bournemouth town centre, the street the hotel is on is quiet which i wanted so that met my criteria.

The room - a pleasant surprise it was clean and tidy, the bed was decent, however, the shower - terrible, absolute nightmare - worse shower i have had on a visit!

The breakfast - was ok, interesting that this hotel actually offered a decent veggie breakfast option with a veggie sausage so that was positive. The breakfast area was nice, everything was in order, clean and tidy. Unfortunately on the first morning I felt like I was on a saga vacation with a large percentage of guests being of the older age range, some of which who were rather moany first thing in the morning so I struggled with this. The hotel can't account for it's clients really so I will counter balance this by saying the second morning had more of a range of clients.

Outdoor swimming pool - has seen better days, I don't see that many of the guests would go in it. The indoor swimming pool - good for families, kids were in it all of the time. Games room - pool table, good for the kids. Gardens - ok, i would suggest upgrading the outdoor pool or get rid of it as it lets down the garden, tidy and clean garden. View - none of the sea but I was aware of this.

Issues - if you get the top room it has a lift part of the way up but you still have to go up the stairs. So if you struggle with stairs be careful where you book. I will note though that there were several guests with disabilities who had specific rooms which catered for wheel chairs so the hotel has varying rooms just make sure you check out what you need and make sure you book accordingly.

Would I visit again... sorry, no I wouldn't out of choice, however, I would say that for the hotel being a last minute booking it did the job I got away and had a good weekend with the weather and I slept well so that was good.

Value for money - mmmmmm.... not so great in my opinion given the shower issue and decoration in certain areas but taken into context of prices of other hotels in the bournemouth area it was about right, it wasn't at the highest price range (bournemouth can be very expensive!).

In fairness to my review on this hotel, there are many guests that love this place and return every year as it suits their needs and I can see why they visit, it just isn't my type of place but it did do the job therefore I wouldn't complain too much as i had a good bed apart from being bitten by mosquitos!!

Room Tip: make sure you know your requirements and discuss before booking - I would suggest this is carried ou...