After both our parents being in hospital myself and my sister decided to take them on holiday to converless. We found Hinton Firs while browsing the web and from their site it ticked all the boxes. The main reason I booked with them was the fact they had a wet room, catered for wheelchairs and had entertainment in the hotel. From the time we arrived it was a disaster.
*no disabled space was reserved even though I was told it would be
*access to the disabled room was via the dining room where we constantly had to ask guests to move whilst they were eating to get the wheelchairs through the door
*in the evening the dining room lights were turned off and we had to push 2 wheelchairs in the dark back to our room. Once we complained they did then leave a light on.
*the table in the dining room was not big enough to get 2 wheelchairs under and therefore mum and dad found eating/reaching difficult. The manager did rectify this once we pointed it out.
*the corridor and doorways to the disabled room and wet room were very tight (mum & dad had to hold their arms in so as not to bang them)
*we had to prop open the bedroom door with the hotel brochure to get in with the wheelchair as there was no room for 1 person to hold it open while other pushes wheelchair in
*the Corridoor area and room was very grubby and needed decorating. The disabled room was also very dark and cold
*the kettle didnot work, every time you used the kettle we had to unplug the tv or boil it on the floor(only other plug accessible)
*tv was very old and took up a lot of space
*only 2 tea bags per person given per day(tea is all mum and dad drink) when I asked for more I was told I would be charged for them!
*in our room, next door, at 7.10am, we were woken up by the kitchen fans blasting as the kitchens backed onto our room. Then one morning at 7am we were woken up by a member of staff vacuuming in the Corridoor!
* on Saturday evening we took mum and dad into the lounge area ready to watch the entertainment. When nothing happened we asked at reception when it would start, to be tod it had all been cancelled due to low guest bookings. We were not told at time of booking, or website had no such information. No allowance was made for this regarding payment other than a free bottle of wine and a few tea bags and a free coffee and tea.
*only 2 sunbeds for whole hotel (52 Rooms) when we asked why we were told they were being replaced and had not arrived
*disabled access to pool area is out of hotel, through front car park, through back carpark, through locked side gate (where's Health & Safety!) we ended up pushing them over a concrete ledge at side of hotel, then we had to ask guests to move so we could get the wheelchairs along the patio.
*not able to take wheelchairs either down by pool or on grassed area due to steps.
*indoor pool was closed for most of the week we were there - don't really know why.
*outdoor pool was uninviting, full of leaves, looked like a fish pond!
* one morning our bedroom lock broke, we reported it to reception who told us it would be fixed. We arrived back at the hotel early evening to find the lock still broken, our bedroom door had been open all day with our valuables inside. When we asked why it had not been fixed we were told "what do you do when your maintenance staff turn up for 2 hours then leave"? I asked the manager if the hotel would take responsibility for any missing items, he said no! He then made up an excuse about not getting an email and proceeded to fix the lock himself!
Good points, excellent food, excellent friendly restaurant & bar staff. Angela listened. Hotel owners & manager need to read these reviews and act on them! Same complaints all year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We would like to offer you a warm welcome to Hinton Firs Hotel, set in tranquil gardens on Bournemouth's prestigious East Cliff, just a few minutes' walk from the sea. Our traditional three star hotel is family owned, which means that we create an ideal atmosphere to ensure that your stay is a real home from home. We take pride in offering a truly personal service, and firmly believe that our hospitality is unrivaled. With beautiful beaches a stone's throw away, two theatres on the doorstep, as well as excellent shopping and many leisure activities, Hinton Firs Hotel is the perfect place to explore, be entertained or just unwind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Hinton Firs Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hinton Firs Bournemouth
- Hinton Firs Hotel Bournemouth
- Hotel Hinton Firs