Heathlands Hotel Bournemouth
Great 4.5/5
The Green House(Bournemouth)
Great 4.5/5
1,089 results
All reviewsbuffet styleexcellent value for moneybit datedsea frontpier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We booked an "executive" room for 3 nights but came home after enduring just 2 in this room from hell, which was possibly the worst I have stayed in since I was a student in the 1960's!

The only "executive" thing about the room was its size and dual aspect. but unfortunately the rear outlook was on to a rubbish strewn flat roof and rusty air conditioning unit with tatty bits of insulation falling off it. The front aspect past a partially hanging curtain was on to the former swimming pool which had become a pond with just the former pool steps propped up against a shed betraying its previous life.

One fixed "bedside" table was just within reach of the small double bed but the other was over a metre away and I had to get out of bed to use it!

Shabby and tired decor and fittings can be tolerated but brown rusty bath water with bits of rusty metal suspended in it? - No!!!!

Being of retirement age we had specifically requested a quiet room if possible but on returning from an enjoyable evening out discovered that the room was directly over the disco and we were unable to listen to the tv until the music stopped! - Thankfully it finished at 10.30pm but we were then woken at about midnight by the sound of loud snoring from the room next door and bags were instantly packed ready for an early escape the next morning!.

The only saving grace was that the breakfast was ok and staff friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Just returned from a 4 night break at The Heathlands, we originally booked to stay at The Britannia but travel company Travelstyle changed it at the last minute stating Britannia was overbooked - strange - I rang the Britannia myself and they readily offered me the accomodation that I had been told no longer existed. Anyway, The Heathlands , on a positive note, is in a good location near to the East Cliff beach and to the restaurant and shopping area. Our room was pokey with outdated fixtures, the en suite bathroom was accessed via 3 steep but very shallow steps, which were covered in insulation tape. The bathroom fittings and the floor covering were badly stained. There was no window in the bathroom and the heated towel rail was so hot it made the bathroom like a sauna, there was no way to switch it off or to turn it down, so not exactly eco friendly. The view from the small sash window in the bedroom was on to a flat roof, this attractive vista was complimented by an arrangement of beer cans. When the window was open there was a persistent humming from some sort of generator or air cooler possibly in the kitchen (?) The bed was a small double with no top sheet. just a duvet, and the TV would only work if one person held the lead in at the back.
The self service restaurant had different sittings, but even if you went 5 minutes after it had opened the food seemed to have run out. I would describe the food as canteen style. There was a small salad bar but no fresh lettuce, just vegetables in mayonnaise etc. Very limited choice of vegetables. On the first night they ran out of dessert very quickly, the only thing on offer was ice cream. We ate out for the next 2 nights but on the 4th night decided to try again. Stood and waited over 15 minutes at the servery for the advertised roast beef and yorkshire pudding.When it arrived, it was the thinly sliced beef in gravy in a serving tray and frozen yorkshire pud. Again, dessert (frozen gateaux) with cardboard on the underside, ran out early. The majority of the staff were young and foreign, they seemed to struggle to speak English. I must mention the outdoor pools which had been converted into fish ponds, the water was very green and smelly. It seems that the hotel is undergoing some refurbishment and we were told that this was due to a fire, but as you can tell they have a long way to go in many areas before I could possibly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for two nights on a coach trip to nearby Monkey World. The hotel wasn't the best I've ever stayed at, but I have to say that my experience does not match the horrendous reviews on here!

The room was clean and comfortable with new carpets and nice wardrobes. The beds were fine, if a little firm and the bathroom looked a bit dated but the brand new shower over the bath was excellent. The only disappointing thing about the room was that the water was not safe for drinking (a sign above the taps informed us that the water was not from the mains, but was stored in tanks on the roof!) so we had to buy bottled water for drinking and to fill the kettle and brush our teeth.

We had a couple of minor problems with our room (the window was very stiff and we couldn't close it and, bizarrely, there was a dirty sock hanging from the smoke alarm) but both of these probems were sorted out quickly and efficiently by the pleasant and helpful reception staff.

Dinner was a hot buffet with plenty of choice which was ok, if a little reminiscent of school dinners! I can't say I "enjoyed" the evening meals, but the food was certainly edible. Breakfast was much nicer, with a range of hot breakfast items, toast, cereals and fruit.

The location of this hotel is excellent: a minute's walk to the cliffside where you can either take a cliff lift down to the beautiful beach or walk down a gentle slope towards the pier. The town centre isn't far away either.

Overall, for the price we payed, the hotel was absolutely fine. If you get a good deal, I'd have no reservations recommending it.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Whilst I think the comments on this hotel are at times a little harsh, I can see why they’ve been made. If you want to pick fault, you certainly can, it was clear there’s still a lot of well needed refurbishing going on and a bit of extra cleaning wouldn’t go amiss on the stairs and in the gents toilets to the left of the reception desk.

On the plus side, the food was very good, the staff were pleasant and helpful and my stay represented reasonable value for money.

My overall conclusion was that the rooms and the hotel in general were adequate, they could be better, however it wasn’t the “Faulty Towers” experience you may expect if you read all the reviews.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 31, 2010

With a similar apprehension to our fellow or lady contributors we arrived at this hotel (our tour destination) in a pre state of shock. We found that the hotel is undergoing restoration which will take sometime it is enivitable that "everything" will not run smoothly however, the attitude of some of the visitor's there left more than a 'little to be desired'... perhaps we should do a 'review on visitors'...personnaly I would have thrown two of them out of the hotel...!!
We found the staff to be polite, friendly, helpful and had a sense of humour. The food was good, plentiful, with a nice variety (and no limit..?) The dinning room and table layouts were excellent.............Our room was basic, I would expect that after the refurbishment this standard would improve, our sleep quality was not so good because of the mattress being to hard (personnal preference....??) and as I stated earlier an 'undesirable visitor' on a mobile phone pleading with his girfiend at 11.40pm at night.....??? The hotel is located not to far from the town centre, a short distance to the cliff is a lift down to the sea front....the bus services are also very good.... I hope to revisit this hotel in the near future to see the outcome of the refurbishment.

• Stayed: July 2010