“Okay but very hot” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #62 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Okay but very hot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Whilst a little tired this hotel is okay, the biggest problem is if you are roomed on the top floor, the windows only open about two inches and it is incredibility hot. Some guests even had to leave their hotel doors open to attempt to get air flowing. A fan was provided but this is not adequate. We had actually booked into a different Britannia hotel with sea views , swimming pool and spa. However on arrival we were just un-ceremonially ordered to this hotel. Apparently it is Britannia's policy to just accept bookings regardless of spaces, then place them where they wish! I would not have chosen this hotel and expected to be placed in the hotel I had selected after some consideration. So no sea view pool or spa etc. The only saving grace was our original hotel appeared full of 'stag do' guests, whereas this one was occupied by OAP's. The reception staff are obviously used to dealing with disgruntled guests and assisted us in a most professional way, unlike the policy makers of this group. Nice staff, reasonable breakfast as large as you like. Rooms okay but I found the double bed to be too short and not wide enough for two of us.Poor water flow to shower on top floor. Very good tea/coffee making facilities and provisions renewed daily. But most of all, they must sort out the heat problem in the rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid top floor
2 Thank SteveBurt222

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Hotel is quite old and not in a central location - you need to walk some time to get in there. What I really liked: they upgraded me from single to a double room as per my request (they had availability on Sunday), the room was nice and spacious enough and the bed - huge! Very quiet location as far away from the city center. Didn't have breakfast as had to leave very early. No Wi-Fi in the rooms though...so if you travel for business - No Wi-Fi and location is not that central, if you not travelling by car - then it is about half an hour to get into the town center. Recommended for family trips - longer stays and beach seekers, not really for a business people or overnight stays.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Vicky x
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

The room
I could only compare it to one hotel I've stayed in and that was a £15 a night room in a backstreet hotel it's hot it's dirty its even got polystyrene tiles on the ceiling the bed sheets are clean and that's about its limit!
The TV has 4 channel's
The bathroom I would compare with a closet as that's what it looks like it previously was.
The food is dry and tastes like something I would feed to my dog and they tell me it's £20, save your money and go to ........ well anywhere except here!!!
It looks like a 1960s hotel that's never been modernised in any way

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Stewart R

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Wootton bassett
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT bother ever going here! Would not let me dog stay here. For £140 I had my pants pulled down. Hotel by summer old age home by winter. Shockingly stinks.. Dirty, out dated, had to wipe my feet going out the place. Never again! Last minute? Have a day off!..

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
4 Thank CONNOLLY26
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

I give them one star because I could get into the room and bathroom. This hotel seems to be still in the 19 century where disabled people were hidden away in the back!
Not only were we in the back but the room was disgusting, stains all over the carpets curtains hanging down and we overlooked an alley where all the noisy air cons from the building adjoining were situated and you had the constant drone of them throughout the night. The bathroom was large but disgusting and there attempt at adaption was three plastic rails attached to the walls. The Lino did not go around the toilet properly and the cistern was attached to the wall with a wooden post?
I have been all around the world with my wheelchair and can honestly say nothing has come near being as bad as this.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this hotel full stop.
1 Thank Kristyan56
Great Bookham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

We had spent the previous night at the Queens hotel but were unable to stay a second night there and took to the internet to find an alternative hotel. We thought we were lucky to get a hotel room next door, but how wrong we were! We were given room 5 for £90 for the two of us and quite frankly felt like I had been given a night in prison! No windows, small room and very claustrophobic! What a shame as this could well be a good hotel if someone bothered to spend some money on updating it. I work in hospitality and couldn't possibly work in this environment. This price did not even include breakfast. I paid cheaper at the Queens hotel and got a large room, windows and a very enjoyable breakfast. Shame on you Heathlands I will not be returning and Alex Polletzi would have a field day!

Room Tip: Avoid it like the Plague!
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Mark B
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

This hotel was booked via bookings.com on the day of arrival - It was a last minute booking as we were in Bournemouth already, and had stayed at the Queens Hotel and Spa which was next door, and decided to stay an extra night - Unfortunately for us the Queens hotel was fully booked as there was a wedding on.

The Heathlands Hotel was a very poor relation - The outside could do with a good paint job. We stayed in room number 5, which was very hot, and unbelievably, had no window! It was very claustrophobic, and almost like being in a prison (I Imagine!) I felt the décor was very dated - Looks like it most recent refurbishment was in the 1980's, and was very suffocating with no window to open for fresh air on a hot night.

Obviously, you needed the lights on day or night - Otherwise it was pitch black inside. When we got into bed, the ceiling light was a circular flat glass dish type, which obviously due to no natural light, glowed all night like a child's night light - Very distracting, and resembled a UFO or the moon as you gazed up at it.

Reasonably clean generally in the room, and coffee and tea making facilities - Cups, but no saucers?! Not sure what that was about!

You could say you get what you pay for, but I actually feel we were robbed - £89 for ROOM ONLY! We appreciate it was a Saturday night, but the Friday night, staying at The Queens Hotel and Spa, we paid £10 less, and had a far more superior room, with a fabulous breakfast too included.

Really, really disappointed with Britannia Hotel group for ripping us off - Shame on you - The room was not even advertised as 'no window' and I barely slept all night.

Reply would be appreciated, but I don't hold out much hope - Room advertised for £39 for the Sunday night. Has left a really nasty taste in my mouth, possibly the worst room I have had the displeasure to stay in

Room Tip: Don't settle for room number 5!!!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles