“Great quality, value and location - Recommended!””

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #41 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I would really recommend this hotel - great value and high quality.

Came across this hotel randomly through Expedia as I was booking a last minute city break to Bournemouth! I quickly checked the Hallmark website - where I discovered it was actually cheaper to book through their own website than Expedia!

The hotel is in a great location, 5 minutes from all shops, bars and restaurants. The beautiful Bournemouth beach is also a 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

The hotel itself is very clean, modern, and tidy. The hotel staff are extremely helpful and kind. We seemed to be upgraded to their 'Executive' rooms on the 3rd Floor. The room was large, air-conditioned, with a flat screen TV and ensuite bathroom.

The spa and health club is fantastic. They give you towels in recepion. And there's also a bar, where you can order any food or drink, cocktails, etc.

On a side note - I'd hugely recommend the hotel's brasserie restaurant. We had this recommended, and loved it so much we went there 3 nights out of the 3. They serve amazing tapas, bafflingly cheap, brilliant atmosphere.

Anyway - I'm really impressed with the rate we got on this hotel - i've stayed in much lower quality hotels and paid a lot more for them. So if you want to be assured of a really good quality, good value, hotel then I highly recommend Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank LondonPeterC
Write a ReviewReviews (2,010)

Reviewed August 28, 2010

This hotel was a good choice for a last min resavation, but if booking out of choice considering we have a disabled daughter we would look for a hotel that was more spacious,the lift was very small, the spa was in the basement ,NO lift to the basement, the rooms were very hot which made it uncomfortable , the selfservice breakfast was excellent ,we had an evening meal twice during our five day stay which was of a very high standard,staff were very helpful.Thinking disabled,this hotel was not spacious enough and location would look closer to all amenities.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Just returned from Bournmeouth, stayed here for four nights, room was below avarage, ok its not a sea side hotel but views to the back of the hotel is terrible. Shower did not work properly, moved rooms second room was a bit better with a shower actually working. Room was clean and bed was comfortable, food is good both breakfeast and dinner.
All staff very friendly, but handy man and the friendly young man in the restaurant who I belive was the manager very helpful and great with customers. I would consider to stay again but keep in that mind not all the rooms are same quality.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2010

The service at this hotel was aloof to say the least... to start with at reception they didn't seem aware that I had pre-paid for the two executive double suites. I was given a paper slip, and a card key... unfortunately despite the size of hotel there seemed to be only one lift... It was tiny claustrophobic... I just couldn't get into it.. no air con either.. so I struggled up 3 flights of stairs, hot and fed up after several hours driving... when I got to what I thought was the 3rd floor, I looked at the slip to see the room number, which wasn't on there or the key! A member of staff who helped book me in also couldn't remember, but informed me the 3rd floor was up yet another very steep flight of stairs, and then left me to it.. I had to ring enquiries on my mobile to get the phone number of the hotel as this was also not on my slip of paper. Eventually I got to my room, well if this was a superior executive double... well I must be losing the plot! The bed was an ordinary double, the room was quite small, no views, bathroom one window, couldn't see because broken blind... bath old.... all in all it was the worst room I have ever stayed in under a 4star heading, and not cheap!

I did however complain to reception and was seen quite quickly by reservations who put me in a much bigger room, the sort of room I would normally expect for the price paid.

I joined my partner in the Bar for refreshments and got a shock when I found out the cost of the drinks, I could understand it if it was a top class hotel in London, but not this rather tatty run down place in Bournmouth. There was no way that I was risking eating there in the evening, everything so far had been disappointing so that was out of the question.. I was told that the breakfast however is good, maybe something there then... WRONG.... got down around 55 minutes before end of breakfast time, and there was hardly anything left on the English breakfast side, although the chef did top things up once I and various other guests had sat down. The plates I believe would could heath and safety a problem, they were not warm, there were seriously hot! The toasting machine, either under toasted or charcoal ! the tables had no table cloths, and I was never asked if I would like tea or anything but had to find someone to ask. All in all just not the kind of service and standards as a regular traveller I and m business partner are used to...

To end this report, I would just add a comment one of the staff made to my business partner when he was paying for extras upon checking out which I think says it all.... he found the cost of two large G&Ts (I believe around) £21.00 to be extortionate, to which the staff member answered 'That's why I don't drink' Hellooo....

Upon leaving we stated that in all honesty we wouldn't be coming back, and so did several other guests also checking out...

Advice: If you get claustrophobic - unless you request ground/1st floor, don't go! If you want a superior bed and room, try Premier Inns... If you have long hair or thick hair and need to wash it in the morning, and cant run around in the shower trying to rinse it, don't go... if you want value for money... don't go.. if you think service and friendly staff is important... sorry.... don't go...

This has to be the worst right up I have ever done, but I am so disappointed, I would have stayed two nights if it had been even slightly more bearable.. but got out as quickly as possible..

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank tiberius1
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Have just returned from two nights at the Hallmark for a weekend summer break. The hotel has recently been refurbished and looks very smart. Front of house areas were clean and the staff were all very courteous and helpful. The hotel is in a great location, just a 5 mins walk to the beach and a lovely stroll into Bournemouth centre either along the cliff top or along the beach. Now to the hotel itself. I booked an executive room via late rooms for £150 a night including breakfast and I have to say for what I paid I was very diasappointed by our room. We wwere in room 107 which is in the annex, a former victoria house now attached to the hotel and at the function room end of the buidling. The room was very light with high ceilings and a massive window, which did not have any nets or blinds. As we were overlooking a busy road it would have been nice not to have to draw the main curtains every time we wanted to get changed. The room was of an average size with a large bathroom and seperate toilet. From what I can tell the only difference between the standard room & the exec is you get an iron & ironing board, dressing gowns and a bottle of mineral water - which in our room wasn't replaced for the second night. My friend who had previously stayed in a standard room said there was no real difference, although I do understand the size of the standard rooms varies considerably. The bathroom did feel a little old fashioned, although was very clean, however the water pressure was very low so the shower was pathetic. It was fed from the bath taps and often there was not even enough pressure for the shower to funtion. We tried running a bath one evening but it took so long to fill & the water wasn't that warm so we gave up in the end. Apart from the shower our room was actually very nice, it was just very disappointing for the price we paid for it. The Breakfast was buffet style and at busy times was not replenished fast enough. It was also quite greasy but there was a decent slection of items. We did tend to see the same few staff all weekend so maybe a few more migth have helped. We also spent some time in the spa although we didn't use the pool at the front of the hotel. The spa is tucked away in the basement and does feel a little dingy. The staff were very helpful but I deed feel the spa felt a little grotty. Considering it was about 10am when we went down there I also think it could have been cleaner. The changing rooms are very small and odd so I recommend changing in your room. There's a decent rage of facilities including a relaxation room although it wasn't that relaxing due to the motown CD being pumped out in there and the slightly odd aroma of diesel fumes or engines or soemthing. It is quite small and at busy times got quite crowded. I wasn't that fussed about not having time to visit again during our stay.

All in all a good hotel in a brilliant location but disappointing on the value for money front. If I find a cheaper rate next time I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Hotel was just ok. Our room was at the back of the hotel overlooking the fire escape, very small and had no window in the bathroom. This may be because it was extremely busy. The breakfast was cold on the first morning but much better on the second morning. The Spa was not working and they had no appointments available for treatments. I do not think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

went to this hotel in july ,when we arrived we were told that some of the facilities were not working ,spa /jucuzzi. pool was closed for one of the days,tryin not to b disapointed we went to our room to find that we were looking out on to a fire escape,you def would not like to be in a depressed mode,moved us to another room at front of hotel ,looking out at derilect buidings ,we moved hotels ,all the receptionist could say was sorry . that is what i would discribe this hotel .SORRY

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple