“This is not a 4*hotel”

London, United Kingdom
“This is not a 4*hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Where do I start...
We were staying in the attic, room 96, which the lift does not go to. You had to take the lift ( which has a funky smell of BO / paint) to the 3rd floor then up a flight of steep stairs. Not ideal for anyone with luggage as the staircase is narrow.
The decor throughout the hotel is tired, the room was ok apart from the mattress had a dip so you rolled into the middle, not ideal if you are sharing the bed esp as it was a small double bed anyway!
The room was very hot but the hotel do supply a small fan which was useless. They need air conditioning. I would expect every 4* hotel to have this.
The breakfast was not worth £9.95...anemic sausages and premade tea was tasteless, you are better off making your own tea in your room. Also don't bother going down for breakfast on a weekend after 9am as they didn't replenish. I had to wait 30 minutes for butter for my toast.
You can actually get a good breakfast outside the hotel for £7.95 at Cliff Top Restaurant, 5 minutes walk from this hotel. Also dinner there is really good...don't even bother eating at this hotel!
The spa is terrible, really disappointing. In the main pool it was filled with sand! Surely they should tell the guests to wash prior entering but clearly they have not been doing this. If I had wanted sand I would have visted the beach.
The steam room was poor, hardly any steam and the sauna was out of action. The relaxation room smelt damp so I didn't stay in there long and the aromatherapy room baffled me as it was justa dark room with fairy lights and a soaking wet floor with spa music playing in the background...not sure what that is supposed to do??? I had afternoon tea booked in the spa and cancelled it on the basis that everything appears to be terrible at this hotel so why would I waste a further £25. Plus there was a huge hole in the ceiling in the spa so it is in need of restoration!!
When checking out, reception tried to charge us £155 per night rate and luckily I had the email confirmation with the correct rate on ( we paid £115 pn).
This hotel is not 4* accommodation, it is more like 3*. I actually feel a bit ripped off paying £115 per night as everything was shabby. I have stayed in better B&B's than this hotel.
I commented on this to the reception at check out and was told they were sorry and they would try to do better next time...sorry but there will be no next time!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Pay an extra £30 and stay at Best Western, The Connaught. Really lovely hotel a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Emma P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Me and my 10 hens stayed here for my hen do and there is ot one bad thing I can say about my stay!
Rooms were lovely,spa facilities were lovely staff didn't bother you and left you to enjoy your stay very helpful,the breakfast in the morning was delicious! With a huge range!
Could not fault it at all! I will be going back there in again soon

• Stayed June 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Choose this hotel for a relaxing spa weekend with my lovely friend to celebrate my hen party. Hotel was amazing.. treatment were amazing I recommend the facial and full body massage.. spa area was just perfect.. food was great.. I recommend the steak.. and chocolate roulade. . The room was clean comfortable bed room 107 executive suite for me the bride.. all others rooms were nice to.. we had a superb relaxing weekend.. weather was amazing to.. only bad things were the shower in the girls changing was disgusting covered in mould need to be closed off and the drink prices kept changing... ie breakfast diet coke was £2 .. lunch it was £3.59 and dinner was £4. Same with the wine prices were different everytime.

• Stayed June 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

This hotel took £270 for a two night stay in a deluxe room they down graded us to a very poor standard room and only informed us of this when we complained (this has been reported to trading standards). Numerous issues during our stay and had to complain at least 4 times. The worst thing is the attitude of the staff (up to director level) they are arrogant and deceitful. We shall be pursuing legal action against hallmark hotel holdings and the only good thing is this hotel company lost £1.6 million last year so hopefully won't be around much longer.

Room Tip: Never stay at this hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Charles P

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed one night although it should have been two. We'd booked "deluxe" room... it was shabby, the bed base was uncovered and stained, the sink was cracked and no loo roll holder. The ceiling fan was broken and the room was like a furnace. The "spa" shuts at 7.30pm and the changing rooms smelled like a public lavatory. We complained repeatedly but to no avail. We refused to pay but were charged anyway... only when I spoke to head office did I discover we had been down graded without our knowledge to a standard room and the bill was being adjusted so we were only charged the standard rate... like that makes a difference! I've reported the hotel to trading standards and I urge anyone who has had a poor experience at this hotel to do the same!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. ANY hotel, just not this one
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank stuart h
Swindon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Went for an overnight Spa break which included a couple of massages for me and my wife.

The location was okay, it was about a 20 minute brisk walk down to the town and seafront. Parking was reasonable at the hotel.

We had room number 2 on the first floor and as you walk along the landing to the room it was very hot and stuffy and also a very musty old smell in the corridor. Also there often seemed to be cleaning equipment and linen on the floor in the corridor by our room which we had to walk around. The room itself seemed clean enough. The view was poor, just an extension roof, pipes and cables and the car park. One problem we had in our room was that the ceiling fan didn't work. In the middle of the night I was so hot but when I rang down to reception I was told if the remote for it wasn't in the room not a lot could be done. I tried to put up with it but at 2am I just couldn't sleep as it was so hot so I rang down again and a small fan was brought up to us.

The breakfast was okay generally, buffet style though the baked beans weren't really kept hot enough.

The wifi in the hotel worked very well, the gym I used was well equipped and the massages we had were good.

Overall it was okay, some parts of the hotel seemed nice and a few other bits could be improved.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CRAWLEY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Very very disappointing hotel, first impression not good, the hotel grounds were neglected, no grass cut, weeds, broken loungers. Inside the hotel downstairs toilet dirty, shabby, and toilet seat broken, and lounge furniture dirty and stained. Room allocated very small, had no telephone, no shaving socket, no details of facilities available at the hotel, and no-where to store luggage. Wardrobe very small contained ironing board, which had to be removed into the room to hang clothing. Only one seat/chair provided – no room for any more !!! On speaking to reception told that there was no other room available and they were unable to provide plug to enable shaving. Asked to book for dinner but told that as we hadn’t paid beforehand this was unavailable !! Dining room half empty. Next day had to request toilet tissue and mentioned dissatisfaction with the room and another room allocated, which was larger and had a telephone to enable room service if required. However, this room only had a sheet and blanket on the bed, and as paperwork in the room mentioned what charges could be made for missing items on departure, we called reception to highlight the fact that there was no bedcover/bedspread as in the previous room. The receptionist who answered the telephone said that someone would attend to the matter…no-one did. Awful night with insufficient bedding so next day requested an additional blanket. On return to our room late in the afternoon the room had not been serviced so went to reception, who apologised but didn’t service the room, but did provide the additional blanket. On last day decided to have lunch in the hotel, as breakfast food had been good, but an enormous delay in food arriving….due to insufficient staff available to attend to the demands being made on them. When food eventually arrived one of the dishes was very very poor and hadn’t been completed, which meant by the time the correct dish arrived, still incomplete, one of us had eaten out food !!! A very very disappointing holiday, and we would certainly not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple