“Nice break”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Nice break”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Me and my husband stayed at the Hallmark hotel 27th december for one night. The room was small but had everything you needed. The spa was lovely and staff attentive to our needs. We had a massage after a lovely breakfast the following morning. After reading reviews before coming I was really worried but we had a lovely night away and would return. Thankyou.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Laura H
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for the balanced and helpful review, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us your constructive feedback. Hopefully we will see you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Polish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I bought a voucher to use the Spa and pool, wish I had not. Both upstairs and downstairs pools were dirty, sand or dead skin clearly visible on the bottom. Upstairs changing rooms have mould on wall and a terrible smell. Downstairs is mood lite so you cannot see if clean. It was like this on all 3 occasions that I visited and jacuzzi not working on 2 out of 3 visits.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
I hope you will contact me directly to discuss. Our Spa is very busy, however we have set standards for cleanliness that should have negated the issues you encountered, apologies if this was not the case on any of your visits.

Daniel Graham

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Devon
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed at the Hallmark for a short get away. The spa is lovely with a small swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna etc and it's really nicely decorated. As you walk in the reception is nice and modern but as you get further into the hotel it starts to show it's age. I stayed in room 28. The decor was nice, but the view over the flat roof and air conditioning units wasn't great. There was no towel rail in the bathroom so we had to use the radiators, also the fan on the ceiling didn't seem to work which was a shame because the whole hotel was very hot. The receptionist that was there whilst we were staying was extremely helpful, and nice and chatty. Overall though I would visit again purely because of the excellent spa, despite the average room.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Matt C
Thank you for the balanced and helpful feedback, we are pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you with us again very soon.
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had a lovely night at this Hotel. We booked a deal through Living Social for £59.00 for the two of us. This deal included a Tapas in the early evening and a full English Breakfast also full use of the Gym, Sauna, Steam Room, Swimming Pools etc.,

The hotel is perfectly situated to walk into Bournemouth town centre, a steady 10 minutes and you are right in the Square with shops to look at most of the way down. It is all uphill coming back but it was fine for us, just took a little longer.

The hotel is rather tired in some parts, but alot of money has already been spent to bring it up to date. Our room was a bit on the small size, but perfectly adequate for one night. Tea and coffee making facilities in our room, plus small selection of toileteries in the bathroom.

The Tapas was lovely, just enough to set us on our walk for the night before eating dinner later.

Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.

I do not think we would pay their regular prices to stay here, but on a special offer would definately do it again.

In all a very good night away from home

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tomlug
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you for he constructive and well balanced feedback We hope you will be back to see us again in the very near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Attended a spa day with a couple of friends, through a highlife deal of £20 with treatment. The spa was pretty quiet as came on a week day. It was nice and peaceful, the facilities lovely and we made good use of everything. My friends had back, neck and shoulder massages and I had a facial. We all enjoyed our treatments very much, but I am sure my treatment was only 15 minutes long. I understand that it wouldn't be a long one due to the offer we purchased, however I did expect around half an hour. We had lunch in the restaurant. Food was very nice, quick and staff were friendly. I will mention that the changing rooms are very small and cramped, with only 1 shower and toilet. Things got quite snug when there were 5 people in there at one time. Decided not to use the shower as didn't want to wait, and it looked rather rusty. But bedsides the changing rooms I had a lovely time and wouldn't hesitate to attend again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for the helpful and balanced feedback, we look forward to seeing you with us again very soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Our room was ready before the standard 2pm check in which was great. The room itself was nice, not huge but big enough and clean. I agree with other reviewers though that this does not feel like a 4* hotel. The room was very hot and we could not leave the window open as we were on the ground floor, however after turning off both valves on the radiator and towel rail it improved a bit. The pool was nice, a little strange being overlooked by the bar! Parking was free and it was a short walk to town.

On the downside the toilet roll was awful, cheap like sandpaper. Every time we tried to use our key cards they were not working. We had to keep returning to reception to have them re-set. The queue at peak checkout time was huge and the staff slow in dealing. Why not take payment for the room when you check in like most hotels do so that if you have not had extras you can just drop the keys. There was a lot of noise outside our room all evening, but to be fair we did stay on a Saturday night in December so there was bound to be Christmas parties and when the party had finished the noise stopped.

I had a burger on room service which tasted a little odd, not sure if it was the burger (as I had had a sandwich from Costa earlier in the day) but I had a terrible bilious attack during our stay. I will also highlight that other reviewers have commented on how nice the food is.

It a shame despite other reviewers making some of the same comments as I have that nothing has been done to improve things.

I see the manager writes on the reviews that he would like to be contacted directly. I will not be doing this, you have seen my comments on here.

I would consider going back if the price was cheaper and more reflective of the standard, and steps have been taken to improve the problems. If I returned I would not eat anything at the hotel, but that is a personal preference.

Stayed December 2013
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for your constructive and well balanced review, it is great to learn that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay and we appreciate you taking the time to give us your opinion on where we can improve. Objectively, of course we are aware that we make mistakes sometimes, however I am certain we do improve daily, this is backed by improved customer service feedback and an increase in our AA core, putting us firmly in the four star market.
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Went here for my sisters birthday and was good, rooms ok a bit shabby. Paid £60 for hotel with breakfast and a 30 min treatment with use of the spa which was very nice. Rooms clean and comfortable.

Nice selection of food for lunch a dinner but restaurant lacks atmosphere.

Breakfast not of great quality.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Good that overall you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again very soon.