“A great stay”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here for the weekend and had a great experience . The room was clean and the food in the restaurant on both evenings was delicious . The waiting staff were very attentive guided by a charming manager thing is name was Adrian ?
Don't understand the previous negative comments as we really enjoyed our stay and from what we have seen everybody else as we'll .
We will recommend and return .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you for the great review. It is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,987)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked the Hallmark Hotel with a top to toe Spa Day for a special Birthday treat for my mum. The executive hotel room was nicely decorated and furnished but hot as hell! There was a ceiling fan but even on full it was ineffective. I was unable to take a soak in the bath as the top of the hot tap came off in my hand and I couldn't turn the tap on. The dressing gowns provided were stained/dirty and the belts were missing. The food in the restaurant was good but the staff in there whilst friendly, did not appear to be able to deal with a simple request to change a dessert order from cheese to fruit. Breakfast was reasonable, though sadly the quality of the ingredients (sausage, black pudding, etc) was low. The Spa facilities were a big disappointment. Overbooked with Hen parties there were no lockers free, the changing room had only one shower and only enough room for a few people to change at any one time. I had to leave my credit card with the receptionist before we were given a dressing gown each that would hardly cover our backsides (Mum is 73!) - the towels provided were small and thin. The Jacuzzi was broken, the relaxation room had a queue to get in and the swimsuit spin dry was out of order. On the positive side the treatments we had were great and the Spa staff friendly and competent, but the aggravation in getting dressing gowns, carrying our belongings around with us all day, having to fight with the crowds in the changing room etc made what should have been a special, relaxing day for Mum anything but.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and your positive comments in regards our service etc. The Spa does get very busy at certain times of day and week and whilst we do have more changing facilities and lockers upstairs I understand that this is not ideal. I hope that you will try us again in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was very disappointed overall with the hotel. Paying £364 for two nights is a high premium for what was supposed to be a family room and I expected much better.

As a note I have written to the hotel to complain but no response after a week, so let's see if they take any notice/care about TA.

3 in a room? I don't think so...

In the first instance my expectation of a family room (clearly not the same as the hotel owners) is a somewhat spacious room to allow for 2-3 beds including a double and room to swing a cat.

So the 'double' was two beds pushed together, not ideal. However what shocked me was the additional bed was a put-me-up (picture attached).

The first put-me-up bed put in the room was disgraceful and unusable, it dipped in the middle because the slats kept falling out. It was rammed between the 'main' bed and the Window - The Window over-looking the car park where the brightest security light was on all night... The second bed was still a put me up but had a slightly thicker mattress, Still - I wouldn't put my guests on it at home.

Had I known the hotel was going to provide a 'put me up' bed I would not have booked it. Why would you pay for a hotel, especially these prices and expect to have a z-bed? Surely you would expect a real bed?

There was blood on one of the pillow cases, I took this off and the second day it had been replaced with another blood stained pillow case.

The room, that was supposed to be for 2 people was boiling hot. Owners not invested in any air-conditioning and being on the ground floor the window barely opened.

HALLMARK - You need to clearly identify to customers that a family rooms means a z-bed in a room sized for two people. I was appalled by this. The room was too small for three people, paint blistering off the walls, only two cups for drinks. No thought had gone in to making this a 'family room'.

HERE'S HOW I SEE THE TRUTH HALLMARK - It was a double room that you have tried to sell as a family room. Just disgraceful. I suspect you don't care, get them in get them out.

The breakfast - which we only had once, where there was no one to seat us or pay any attention to us, was below average. Eggs were hard. Sausages not cooked evenly. No bacon available, all luke warm. Just lazy and I suspect run by people who do not really care about customers and just look to do the minimal and turn-over some cash.

I WILL NOT BE RETURNING HERE - AND THE GUESS WHAT - THE HALLMARK WON'T CARE!

Room Tip: Try another hotel?
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Please contact me directly at the hotel, I apologise for not contacting you to discuss your issues, but for whatever reason I have not received any correspondence from yourself. We take all issues very seriously and I would welcome a chance to discuss your problems and improve your lasting impression of the hotel.

Daniel Graham

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked this hotel despite the reviews on this site for three nights. Went with an open mind.

Check in was pain free and staff very pleasant. Very small lift, literally accomodated 2 people and bags. Not really a problem. Was in room 39. Room spacious with double bed, bay window, easy chair, desk etc. Window overlooks road which is very noisy in the day. Room very hot, but had a ceiling fan which kept the air moving. Decor was a bit dull and dreary. Bathroom had been overhauled at some point, however wash basin was cracked, as was a floor tile. Also floor was lacking grout. Despite nice bathroom, they had used a manky old shower screen and mixer taps! No duvets but rather sheet, blanket and bed spread. Maintenance and housekeeping needs to up its game. Bed was not made properly and stains on towels.

First night was woken by guest in room above walking round the room at midnight. The floor was creaking! Second night we left the ceiling fan on and the light randomly came on in the middle of the night.

Breakfast was a good choice, with buffet cooked breakfast, toast, fruit, cereals etc. My only complaint would be the sausages are cheap nasty catering ones. Need to look at better quality sausages. We looked at the menu for evenings meals, which we felt was limited and expensive. £18 for sirloin steak, at our usual hotel in Bournemouth we can have three very nice courses for the same price (Riviera).

We used the spa which was good enough for our purposes. Would not pay to use it exclusively though.

That all said, we still had an enjoyable stay in Bournemouth.

Stayed: August 2013
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Thank you for the detailed and comprehensive review of your stay, I am pleased that overall it seems that you enjoyed your visit and hope that you will come back to see us again in the future.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The booking.com website mis-sold this really quite disappointing 4 star hotel. It is a 3 star experience at best and an expensive let down at £190 a night.

When we arrived with a 5 year old at 9pm, I was told there was a supplement of £25 per night for his bed, I knew this as it was stated on booking.com also and I had requested a bed for him on booking our room. Despite this, we were given a room not only without a bed for him, but not even room to put an extra child's bed in the room as it was so small! Not impressed we went back to reception and complained. They said they had no solution initially and fetched a manager. The problem was no put up beds were available. The manager said we could get a bigger room with bigger bed and he could sleep with us. We went to grab a bite while they were sorting this out (they did give us this on the house). We were tired and fed up! The manager then said they had found a bed and that the next day we would get a bigger room. This duly occurred. However, it did not match expectations. The child's bed was not in the room. Someone knocked and rectified this. Then another knock, someone to fix the leaking shower? It was very Fawlty Towers!

The pool is tired and run down. The changing room has a bad odour. Some of the staff have bad attitudes. The manager and his sub-manager are nice people, but the hotel is in need of a major facelift. We will never go back!

1  Thank Diana S

I apologize for where we have erred, we do sometimes make mistakes and unfortunately your experience suffered slightly because we had missed the extra bed off your booking, we did try our best to make sure that the rest of your experience was to our standard and I am disappointed that you left us still so upset.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were immeadiately disappointed with the size of the room. We paid for a delux room and if that was delux i felt sorry for the rest of the guests. Pool was ok.. Gym was ok... Parking is only good if you can get it. The spa was pleasent but small. The breakfast was again average. There looks like theres better for less money.

Room Tip: Dont go...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your balanced and helpful review. We do have one of the best provisions for free resident parking in Bournemouth. Our rates are matched to be competitive against our competition. We hope you will be back to see us again in the future.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Save your money and don't go! I spent over £160 in a day having spa treatments, lunch, drinks at the bar and an evening buffet. The service was terrible with rude and surly staff. This made for a very unpleasant experience. I can agree with previous reviews regarding the therapist who seemed to have a hangover and the very rude bloke in the spa. Why isn't the hotel manager 'Managing' this situation so that other customers do not have to have a bad experience? Felt as if we were on candid camera at times...only it wasn't a joke!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SMS148

Please accept my apologies that your experience was not as it should have been. Please contact me directly at the hotel so that I can investigate and act on your feedback. We do hope you will try us again in the future.
Daniel Graham