“Quirky”

Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Quirky”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel despite the reviews on this site for three nights. Went with an open mind.

Check in was pain free and staff very pleasant. Very small lift, literally accomodated 2 people and bags. Not really a problem. Was in room 39. Room spacious with double bed, bay window, easy chair, desk etc. Window overlooks road which is very noisy in the day. Room very hot, but had a ceiling fan which kept the air moving. Decor was a bit dull and dreary. Bathroom had been overhauled at some point, however wash basin was cracked, as was a floor tile. Also floor was lacking grout. Despite nice bathroom, they had used a manky old shower screen and mixer taps! No duvets but rather sheet, blanket and bed spread. Maintenance and housekeeping needs to up its game. Bed was not made properly and stains on towels.

First night was woken by guest in room above walking round the room at midnight. The floor was creaking! Second night we left the ceiling fan on and the light randomly came on in the middle of the night.

Breakfast was a good choice, with buffet cooked breakfast, toast, fruit, cereals etc. My only complaint would be the sausages are cheap nasty catering ones. Need to look at better quality sausages. We looked at the menu for evenings meals, which we felt was limited and expensive. £18 for sirloin steak, at our usual hotel in Bournemouth we can have three very nice courses for the same price (Riviera).

We used the spa which was good enough for our purposes. Would not pay to use it exclusively though.

That all said, we still had an enjoyable stay in Bournemouth.

Stayed August 2013
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for the detailed and comprehensive review of your stay, I am pleased that overall it seems that you enjoyed your visit and hope that you will come back to see us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The booking.com website mis-sold this really quite disappointing 4 star hotel. It is a 3 star experience at best and an expensive let down at £190 a night.

When we arrived with a 5 year old at 9pm, I was told there was a supplement of £25 per night for his bed, I knew this as it was stated on booking.com also and I had requested a bed for him on booking our room. Despite this, we were given a room not only without a bed for him, but not even room to put an extra child's bed in the room as it was so small! Not impressed we went back to reception and complained. They said they had no solution initially and fetched a manager. The problem was no put up beds were available. The manager said we could get a bigger room with bigger bed and he could sleep with us. We went to grab a bite while they were sorting this out (they did give us this on the house). We were tired and fed up! The manager then said they had found a bed and that the next day we would get a bigger room. This duly occurred. However, it did not match expectations. The child's bed was not in the room. Someone knocked and rectified this. Then another knock, someone to fix the leaking shower? It was very Fawlty Towers!

The pool is tired and run down. The changing room has a bad odour. Some of the staff have bad attitudes. The manager and his sub-manager are nice people, but the hotel is in need of a major facelift. We will never go back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Diana S
I apologize for where we have erred, we do sometimes make mistakes and unfortunately your experience suffered slightly because we had missed the extra bed off your booking, we did try our best to make sure that the rest of your experience was to our standard and I am disappointed that you left us still so upset.
London
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were immeadiately disappointed with the size of the room. We paid for a delux room and if that was delux i felt sorry for the rest of the guests. Pool was ok.. Gym was ok... Parking is only good if you can get it. The spa was pleasent but small. The breakfast was again average. There looks like theres better for less money.

Room Tip: Dont go...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your balanced and helpful review. We do have one of the best provisions for free resident parking in Bournemouth. Our rates are matched to be competitive against our competition. We hope you will be back to see us again in the future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Save your money and don't go! I spent over £160 in a day having spa treatments, lunch, drinks at the bar and an evening buffet. The service was terrible with rude and surly staff. This made for a very unpleasant experience. I can agree with previous reviews regarding the therapist who seemed to have a hangover and the very rude bloke in the spa. Why isn't the hotel manager 'Managing' this situation so that other customers do not have to have a bad experience? Felt as if we were on candid camera at times...only it wasn't a joke!

2 Thank SMS148
Please accept my apologies that your experience was not as it should have been. Please contact me directly at the hotel so that I can investigate and act on your feedback. We do hope you will try us again in the future.
Daniel Graham

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here last Friday with 4 others for One night for my friends Hen Do...

Before we even arrived at the hotel: the Spa had messed up our treatment timings. We called to comfirm the type of treatments and there was nothing booked in for us at all! Not the best start, as we originally thought we had all of our treatments at 2pm and now they were all at seperate times!

On check in: the man on reception was nice and friendly but was a bit confused when we wanted to split the bill between 4 with half cash and half card, with the response 'I don't think it will divide by 4'...hmm!...Would of been nice if he gave us a brief direction of where the Spa is..or where anything is would of been good!

The room: Very, very hot!! we did have a table top fan - but the plug was covered in rust so didn't look the safest! I had to sleep on a Z-Bed, which I really don't think is exceptable for an adult to sleep on - luckily we were only staying the one night. Bathroom very outdated and really not 4* standard!! Only had the 2 robes and slippers between the 5 of us so I wandered down to reception to get some more and to ask the direction of the Spa! Felt like I needed to ask if it was acceptable to walk around in just a robe and costume as not informed - but just done it anyway!

The Spa: Very underwhelming! But nice and spacious and not too busy which was good! Jaccuzi not working which is really not acceptable!

Treatment: Walked into the treatment room area - no greeting by a member of staff - I saw some questionnaires on the sofa so popped my head around the corner to ask if I needed to fill one out...I opted for the 'express facial'..I can honestly say it was the WORST facial I have ever recieved! The girl I had (wouldn't know what her name is as no introduction, which is terrible!) said that she had 6 years experience! I have done trade tests on girls that have just left college which have been much better!. No conversation, did not ask me what skin type I had, didn't tell me what products she would be using! Not acceptable. I am a therapist myself and work in a very lovely 4* Hotel Spa - so I do have experience in this field. The treatment was the roughest thing to ever happen to my face!! I had to ask the therapist was products she was using - turned out it was Dermalogica - which I am trained in. I have sensitive skin and she decided to use the roughest exfoliator going! Her pressure was far too hard for a facial! When the mask was applied - I would expect either a scalp massage or hand and arm. Nothing! just sat there. When applying the eye cream - most of it went into my eye! That's not what they are for.The treatment was meant to be 30minutes,,It was barely 25...One of my friends had a 'file and polish' which was also meant to be 30...It lasted no longer than 10 minutes!..In conclusion, the Spa service really needs a look at!!! It's 4*, you could atleast introduce yourself and not leave feeling like your face has been harassed.

Overall: Very expensive for what it was. Spa experience extremely dissapointing with very unhappy looking Spa girls
Positive: Breakfast was nice...The hotel looked fairly impressive on arrival as conservatory area and restaurant look nice...And so is bournemouth

Did not want to complain at the time as we were meant to be away celebrating my friends Hen do and did not want to ruin the atmosphere by being the one complaining!

2 Thank Jens56
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments, can I ask that you contact me directly so that I can get some more details in relation to your Spa experience. I would like the opportunity to address this problem in a constructive manner and improve your lasting impression of Hallmark Hotels.

Daniel Graham
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My partner found the hotel through Travelzoo,so we did have a bit of a result price wise.The deal included a glass of wine and Tapas-(frankly a waste of time,was really just bowls of salad items,but then again they would have only charged £3.75,even then I wouldnt have bothered) and breakfast.Small room overlooking roof top heating and ventilation pipe work.Small modern bathroom-needed better cleaning under the toilet rim.Only a large and medium towel.No ventilation in the bathroom.Ceiling fan didnt seem to work,although it wasn't needed,and couldnt find the TV remote control.10 minute walk to Durley Chine beach and not much more to central Bournemouth.Breakfast was good.
Overall was good for what we paid.Would we stay again-probably.Did give us a good laugh.Still laugh at the Tapas!

Room Tip: Upper rooms seem hotter.Check what the room overlooks..
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike W
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your review, it is always helpful to receive a balanced and helpful reflection of your experience. Our tapas does include a selection of salads and cold items but also a hot dish of the day, confusing as to why you did not see this, apologies.
West Sussex, England
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed one night on a dea,l with an couple of friends. The rooms were not large but just fine. Everything you would expect and all in working order. We were on the top floor and it was very hot up there (no air con). Perhaps house keeping could leave the curtains drawn to keep out the sunlight. Other than this we can't complain. All was clean and as it should be. The staff were friendly and efficient. The tapas were disappointing but the breakfast fresh, hot, varied and plentiful. My husband and I enjoyed an early morning swim and used the steam-room, though the jacuzzi wasn't working. The location of the hotel was great. Really convenient for the beach and town centre. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel G, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this constructive review. We appreciate your comments and hope to see you back with us again very soon.