“Not the best of experiences”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #42 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed May 5, 2013

A group of us stayed here whilst attending a conference and things didn't bode we'll from the start.

Six of us arrived at the same time, and we were told that only one persons room was ready. No problem, we left our bags in the available room. Went to check in a little later and despite ALL the rooms being booked by ONE person in our group, the staff at the desk insisted that a deposit of £25 per room per night was paid by everyone checking in. We tried to query this but the staff didnt seem to understand what was being asked (it appears across the hotel that the majority of employees do not have english as a first language). As we were assured no money would be taken from our accounts as it was pre-authorisation only, we went ahead only for a number of people to discover later that £125 had actually been deducted from their banks.

The rooms were ok, bed comfortable, but the water pressure in the bath/shower was poor and the shower curtains a bit too short to work effectively.

Breakfast was ok although the food could be warmer and more frequently topped up, but staff are slow to deal with tea/coffee orders and one morning it took 4 attempts to get a drink...by the time it arrived it was too late to drink it as we were leaving for the BIC.

The issue with the "pre-authorisation" payment turned into a real fiasco with people being told that the request had been reversed on the same day it was requested (this after the staff had been told in no uncertain terms that it had caused hardship) and miraculously a sign appeared stating it would be 10 working days for reimbursement despite staff telling us same day, three working days etc. My colleague was promised a manager to speak to on the morning we were due to check out but there was no one other than the usual staff who seemed not to grasp the problem re the promised refund. In addition, although my bill had already been settled, the staff seemed to think otherwise and were asking me for the full payment for five days....I had to fetch the party responsible and his sizeable receipt to prove it.

This hotel is in a convenient location and is probably not badly priced but the experience wasn't what I would have expected overall. I doubt this would be our hotel of choice in the future.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve M
PMepham, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Scubatwo,

Thank you for taking the time to write following your stay with us.

I have spoken to Reception following the pre authorisation taken on arrival and this is our standard procedure for any guests wishing to charge additional items to the room. This would then be cancelled on departure once your account is cleared and any money not spent would be released. This is standard practice in most hotels.

We have revised our tea/coffee service to speed this up. The reason for some delay is due to us making a fresh individual coffee for every guest as they like it, and I am sorry as I agree your delay was unacceptable.

We are continually woking on improving our guest experience, and I hope that you will return to Bournemouth to see us again in the future.

Paula Mepham

Write a ReviewReviews (2,011)

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Had a good night in Bournmouth but as a hotel, bit disorganised in areas and some issues with things in the room. Overhead fan not working, tv remote not working, toilet not clean.
Had a nice meal however and enjoyed our night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Carrie H,

Thank you for your feed back following your stay with us.

I am sorry you found some areas a little disorganised. We do have many new team members who are still in training and this may have given this imprssion, but I can assure you we are working quickly to ensure standards are not compromised.

I have mentioned the toilet to Housekeeping to ensure it is descaled, and aksed that all remotes are also checked in case batteries have stopped working.

Thank you for your comments regarding your meal. I have passed this on to our Chef and Restaurant team.

I hope that you will visit us again soon so you can see the continued improvements we are making.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Just returned from what was probably the worst run Hotel I have ever stayed in,
This was a Virgin Experience Days, billed as a "One Night Romantic Break with Wine for Two at a Hallmark Hotel." We were given this from my Niece as a Christmas present and were looking forward to the break, especially as my wife had just recovered from a broken foot.
The statement from Virgin was "...you will be welcomed with a full bottle of wine in your luxury room ,,,,," There was no wine in the "Luxury" room - I had to go to reception and ask, to which I was given a voucher for 2 glasses of wine, I then had to produce the statement from the Virgin paperwork to convince the staff on the front desk (they should have been better informed anyway) that they should give me a bottle. They then gave me a voucher and told me to go get it from the bar!! Not the sort of service I was expecting. As for the room, upon entry to Room 58, I couldn't turn the lights on, as the staff on the front desk hadn't told me that the entry card also doubled as the power key, which, when I found the slot to put it in wished I hadn't.
Tuning left down the very narrow corridor into the bedroom area, I first noticed the water stains on the ceiling and on the overhead fan, which had rust on from which looked like a previous leak. The TV control had no cover on the battery pack, The Bathroom had a badly cracked window and the bath took forever to fill up as there was no water pressure. The Bedroom net curtains also had water stains showing. The ceiling had not been finished off painting, after the water leak that must have happened recently. The drinks in the Bar were extortion, a pint of Carlsberg and Brandy & Diet Coke was £9.10 - unbelievable. If this was a "Luxury" room, then I hate to think what some of the others are like. Oh and the Breakfast, had to wait for both sausages and fried eggs for 20 mins!! from the Breakfast buffet. My advice - don't stay at this tired old Hotel.

Room Tip: Read the reviews - there are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan W

Dear Jonathan W,

Thank you for taking the time to feed back following your stay with us.

Firstly I must apologise for you not receiving the bottle of wine and only the two glasses. We have a number of offers running at present and I believe this was why you received the vouchers for the glasses. I am pleased this was quickly resolved. The reason we give vouchers rather than wine in the room is most guests change which wine they would like, so to present the voucher at the bar means they have choice and it it chilled if required.

I am sorry you found the bar prices higher than you would have expected, but we are very competative in the area. I would also like to apologise if there was a delay with breakfast. Unfortunately this often happens as many guests come down at the same time on a weekend. I can assure you we do replenish as quickly as we can.

I hope that you will come and visit in the future to see the continued improvements we are making.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We have recently stayed two nights at this Hotel .On the good side the staff were most helpful.
However although Chic upgrading has been done to cosmetically give a "Look" our room was noisy with the ancient and very noisy lift stopping right outside. The front window which faced on to the very busy ring road had a catch missing on one side so it could not be secured to give soundproofing to the road noise.The bathroom had been retiled/styled but the bath had multiple cracks in the enamel which looked like hairs(most off putting).Breakfast had a good service one day the next very poor with the food stored in the 'hot plates' barely warm. On the whole more SHABBY than Chic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the rear away from busy Ring Road.

Dear Michael V,

Firstly thank you for your feed back following your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that you found hat the lift was noisy during your stay. We will monitor this as it is the first complaint we have had regarding this.

Thank you for your comments regarding the team. They are really pleased to hear your feed back.

We are looking at the bath and we will either be respraying the enamel or replacing it, so thank you for brining it to our attention.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My partner and I booked to stay at the Hallmark Hotel for a mid week break in April. We both work demanding jobs and beach break was exactly what we needed. The hotel itself was under development but was clean, comfortable and inviting and was perfect for what we needed. We had never been to Bournemouth before and the staff were very welcoming and helpful in guiding us to various places not to be missed which were in perfect location to the hotel. The manager Paula also made herself available and spoke with passion about this beautiful place and excited us to return again! The hotel buffet breakfast was plentiful and delicious (the highlight for my partner!!). The spa was very relaxing and the masseuse worked her magic and definitely released all the knots from my back preparing me to face work again!

I would definitely recommend the Hallmark Hotel and will be booking to stay again in June!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
PMepham, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear Jordan R,

I am delighted that Hallmark Bournemouth provided the perfect place for your to relax and unwind.

You are right in that we have been painting our public areas and some of our rooms to ensure they are kept to a high specification.

I would also like to say thank you on behalf of the team for your kind comments. They work very hard to make every guests stay special.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel and what a lovely time we had. Staff very polite and helpful, room very clean and comfy especially the bed.
Did not use the Gym whilst there far too energetic for me but did go and have a look and next time I stay will defiantely take advantage.
We were visiting friends so did not eat in the restaurant but did have a bar snack which was great and breakfast was very good too, lovely coffee I am a coffee addict and it was great to get a proper cup of coffee.
Would not hesitate to book again next time we are visiting.

Dear Flint1973,

Firstly thank you for taking time to write following your stay with us.

I am pleased that you had a lovely stay and I have passed on your kind comments regarding the team.

We are proud to offer a coffee which is made to each individuals liking, and I agree that there is nothing more satisfying than a lovely cup of coffee.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Bournemouth in the near future.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We booked a 3 night stay at the Hallmark Inn Bournemouth to get away from London for a couple days. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised by how nice the hotel was until we looked closer. We stayed in room 58 which was nicely presented but shortly after unpacking our opinion started to change. There was a dripping noise in our room almost as if the roof was leaking. After further inspection we noticed that the roof was leaking into our room and dripping onto our floor. We tried to soak up the water with towels but after a couple hours they were soaked through! We basically froze the entire time staying at this hotel as the heating was not working. After turning on the main light you can make out dead flies that have got caught in the light. The bathroom is nice on first glance but the water pressure in both the bath and the shower is ****. It will take you half a day to fill up the bath. The ceiling in spots has been painted another colour possibly due to previous water damage. The restaurant is below average and the staff doesn't have a clue. We are not tough customers believe me but this is just substandard and does not deserve the 4 start that it has been awarded.

Room Tip: don't stay.
2  Thank Avery H

Dear Avery H,

Firestly thank you for taking the time to feed back following your stay with us.

I am sorry that there was a leak in the room during your stay. I believe this was caused by the room above not using the shower curtain correctly.

You have mentioned that the heating was not working, but I cannot see that this was reported to reception. Maintenance have investigated and this radiator had been turned off at the valve. I believe that this was due to some guests being too hot in the room previous, and I am sure had we been aware we would have resolved this for you.

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience in the restaurant as this is an area we receive great feed back. I have discussed this with my new Restaurtant Manager, and we are continually moving forward, so I hope that you will return to visit again and you will see the improvements being put in place by my team and I.