“Shocking!”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you fancy a cold shower, cold food, slow service, dirty room, lack of care stay at this hotel!

This hotel is rated a 4 star but this must of been accessed a good 20 years ago! I'm simply lost for words!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank john1976Surrey
Write a ReviewReviews (1,987)

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel I would say is average. The staff are pleasant, the rooms ok and the gym sufficient for a one night stay, however I felt their Brasserie menu was over priced for what it was and they try and make it sound fancy, but actually for the description I would say the food is below average and not as to how it is worded.
I ordered to start a smoked salmon and potato rosti with sweet chilli sauce, this was basically a breaded fishcake. My main course of pork belly, with potato rosti and a red wine jus, was a bit on the tough side, not tender like you would expect and no crackling, the potato rosti was over seasoned and the veg was about a desert spoon worth of savoy cabbage. For these 2 courses and 2 glasses of wine, my bill was around £33, which I thought expensive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TwosomeWestMidlands
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at The Hallmark this weekend for a private function. Everything was fine upon arrival. We checked in quickly and the hotel appeared relatively modern, I had stayed here two years ago and had only positive things to say about it. However it would appear that this place has gone downhill somewhat! Day 1-The bar area was freezing cold. As this hotel is pet friendly we took our dog along. Hotel staff were aware of this but our room was so small it would have been more suited to a single person rather than two adults and a dog, we were permanently bumping into each other. The shower was luke warm and had no power. By meal time we were asked to request our tables, i.e chose to sit with your own group/party etc. This was done but when entering the dining room it was a free for all, why request us to choose a table if it just going to be ignored??? I had the chicken for main which was again luke warm with boiling hot spuds & they had run out of my chosen desert. Day 2- Run out of hot items at breakfast. My door key stopped working and there was a black out!!!!! Half way through getting ready, all power was lost and staff were going door to door telling people to turn off their electric heaters as it was making the generator trip out. Pre function drinks were had in the pitch black bar where staff were running around with torches and lights on their iphones! The hotel had allegedly known about this problem for sometime but it appeared nothing had been done to rectify it! The one good thing was that the hotel manager stood up in front of the whole function and apologised. The apology did seem sincere as she appeared close to tears, very brave girl, and they kept the complementary wine flowing!! Besides all of this the weekend was still very enjoyable, the hotel is very nice on the face of it but they just continued to miss a trick on the simple things like ordering enough food and making sure the temperature is right. I would stay here again for somewhere just to get my head down but wouldn't book it for a special treat or surprise visit.

1  Thank CherLondon
Reviewed March 24, 2013

To cut along story of complaints short.....
No heating, no towels, small room although supposedly 'executive' stunk of smoke, electricity cuts so unable to use shower either on arrival or in the morning! Elderly ladies got stuck in the lift and we had to help them out!! Food not great, breakfast cold, communal areas cold/ no heating, hotel and spa looks very tired, run down and so do the staff! On check out a very big queue for the manager to register complaints. What a nightmare for the staff!!

4  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have travelled extensively over many years and have never stayed in such a dire hotel as this. My partner and I stayed here for a weekend gathering which was ruined by many things that a 4 star hotel should have taken care of as a matter of course. A lot of people were extremely unhappy and will be writing to complain. This hotel is a 2 star and obviously got its inflated rating from the sauna, gym and swimming pool etc.

The power failed several times during our stay and although the hotel had been aware of the problem for at least a month nothing had been done about it. The function we were attending started 45 minutes because of it and the power also failed over breakfast this morning.

Whilst the rooms were spotlessly clean and the bed was very comfortable our room had a terrible smell in one corner which reminded us of vomit. This was initially masked by a fresh our spray which gradually faded. The lighting was very poor and although we asked twice for a bulb to be put in the bedside lamp it never materialised. It was a very cold weekend and only one sheet and blanket was on the bend with no spare bedding in the room. Receception was asked for a second blanket whih was promptly provided. The bed making the following morning was a joke as the covers were merely pulled up over the sheet without the sheet being straightened. We had to remake the bed. The shower was also pathetic as the water was just a trickle. The mirror in the bathroom should also have been lit but the switch pull cord had been removed!! On our arrival there was also no remote for the television.

Breakfast was also shocking since they ran out of a number many of the cooked items some of which were cold.

Room Tip: They don't exist here
2  Thank Michael N
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

In contrast to many recent reviews the Hotel was boiling, the thermostat in the bar area was set to 30 which was uncomfortably hot!

We checked in and upon entering our room immediately smelt smoke, the smell of which was stronger in the bathroom. After complaining to reception we moved rooms; I would definitely recommend paying the £20 upgrade cost and asking for a room in the wing passed the bar as the cleanliness and quality of the rooms was far superior.

We had a couple of drinks in the bar in the evening. The service was incredibly slow and £21 for a very mediocre bottle of Pinot Grigio really is too much.

Having a treatment on the Saturday morning I was shocked by the state of the treatment room. The ceiling tiles were stained with damp/water marks, paint pealing off the walls, dirt around the sink, torn and stained towels. I could go on for a while listing my concerns with the room, fortunately I was only having my nails done.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank hammySussex
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Booked this through virgin experience and was expecting a high class hotel. Once we arrived we had to wait for the room to be ready although the customers in front were given their rooms straight away. When we did get into the room it looked fine on first impressions but the bathroom was tired with marks on the walls and the ceiling didn't meet the wall!! Not what I expected at all. Cheap toilet roll as well.
We stayed for 1 night and I'm glad we weren't staying any longer after hearing next doors tv through the wall. Phoned the night receptionist to get them to turn it down and they didn't bother so had to bang on the wall.
Breakfast was tepid, self service on cold plates so was freezing by the end!
This was all topped off by seeing a stain through the sheet the next morning and when pulled back the sheet this revealed an old blood stain on the mattress! Gross, had I have spotted this earlier I would not have slept in the bed and would have asked to move!! Told reception on departure and advised them I would not be paying the upgrade supplement!! Had another night booked at the Best Western Connaught Hotel and this was far superior and cheaper!!!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple