“Treated Like Children”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #44 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My Girlfriend and I decided that we would treat ourselves to a nice weekend in a Spa Hotel. Apart from the Lovely Dinner that we had, (which we payed for) everything else was frankly terrible. We stayed from the 8th until the 9th of Feb in Room 27.

When we arrived we were vaguely told where everything was in the hotel, but I also had the feeling that we were being treated like children. Me and my Girlfriend are 19 and 20 but we were still paying for full accommodation and I had the feeling that the Hotel was being Ageist, which is offensive and against the law.

The Rooms looked good and I liked the Decor, but one thing that I did notice was that it was freezing in the room, which resulted in a worsening in the cold I have. The walls were very thin and our Neighbors were very loud at night and we could hear every word they said. I noticed that the bathroom lacked certain things like a toilet brush. There was also a bit of Mold on the ceiling. Other then these complaints the room was nice and up to standards, though it was still a bad experience.

The Spa was not worth talking about, spoiled straight off the bat by other residents making rude comments at my girlfriend outside the spa area in clear ear shot of the front desk. When in the Spa area we found that we were not told where anything was and how it worked and we were kind of half heatedly given a towel and sent on our way. The spa was not great from what we could see, as we did not do anything besides walk in the luke-warm warm-pool.

Breakfast was good, the staff was nice and the food was tasty.

Overall a bad experience not to be recommended, especially if you are a young couple as you will be treated like Children

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ryan H
There are newer reviews for Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a spa weekend with 9 other ladies and I must say what a shambles, the hotel itself is ok, the rooms are nice, with the exception of the small deposit someone had left in our toilet !!, the beds are comfortable but there always seems to be a funny humming noise coming from somewhere or you can hear the people in the next room rolling over in bed :(.

Prior to our treatments we ordered a snack from the bar, firstly we were given a number of different menus, the waitress seemed to get light bar meals mixed up with a full 3 course meal, we did explain that we were going to the spa afterwards !! In the end with 9 duck salads, yes salads/wraps ordered we thought it was going to be a quick turn around there were no other guests eating, trust me we had lots of trips backwards and forwards to try to find out what was going on, 45-50mins later our food arrived, it was good and hot, but we still had to wait 45-50 mins for a salad/wrap which is not good !!.

I went to the spa for my treatment which was amazing I think the lady was called louise ???, she was fab and the overall experience was nice, I was one of the lucky ones in our group that had been given a robe. This was one of the other problems, we visited a spa and they had no robes !!! it was strange seeing people sat there in their own mixture of fluffy tatty teddy robes and bright pink leapord print ones, we are in a four star hotel and we have to bring our own robes from home. The changing room was awful the floor was covered in wet towels and is so small if you had slipped on the towels you would have had to grab onto the nearest person or you could have seriously hurt yourself. I did speak to a guy in the spa called Tommy who was very rude, he had catergorically told me, yes "catergorically" that he had put robes in 3 or our rooms (this means at least 6 or us would have had robes) and had given someone else another 4, (making 10), well I am sorry Tommy you were wrong in total we had 5 robes in a four star spa for 10 people !!!! There were alot of upset people there that day who did'nt have robes, and one of our party got into an argument with another guest because she had a robe and he did'nt, I mean come on, some bloke having a go at you in the corridoor, what type of people are coming to this place ???? To top it off the only toilet in the spa got blocked very quickly so if you had no robe you had to come out of the spa in your wet costume, walk through the reception to get to the other toilet or go up to your room, for those of us who are slightly body consious this is'nt ideal.

In the end a number of people complained to the duty manager, who was awful, he was so overwhelmed by the whole thing both he and the girl behind the counter were just looking at one another and at one point laughing, nervously mind . In the end the operatins manager came out and tried to resolve the issues and fair play to him, Kevin you did ok, he found some more robes, not enough for the whole group but he found some, he provided us with some complimentary drinks which were lovely and made by Luke the new bar guy, who to say had only been there 3 days he was brilliant. We still ahd to wait 40 mins for our food again the food was good but not worth the wait sadly. The following day checking out was a nightmare you were either charged twice for your room, you had extra treatments added to your bill, if you book a weekend package make sure they don't try to charge you for your food seperatley, every trick in the book they tried so be on the look out, check your bill !!!! Oh and Kevin the free drinks you said we could have, reception tried to charge us for them tut tut tut.

Overall this was a sad weekend, the hotel is nice, a bit tired in some parts but not too bad, the food is good but not worth shouting about, the spa, ok again a bit tired looking and the staff need to learn some customer service. I would'nt stay here again, maybe for one night if you are only going there to sleep, but as for everything else the hotel has no atmospher the staff, (most of them are rude and make you feel like its a chore to serve you) the breakfast is cold, mainly because you have to wait for them to top up the food only for them to tell you 10 mins later they have run out :(. I would'nt bother going here for a weekend break because it will just ruin it, you will end up getting into so many arguments with different managers and staff over trivial things you will just want to pack your bags and go home. You can either believe the reviews or go anyway and see for yourself but you may well be here on monday morning writing your own review.

2  Thank nic1977_12
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We have just had a two night stay in the Hallmark midweek, 6th and 7th February. We stay several times a year here in order to visit an elderly relative. We've always found the reception staff very helpful and cheerful as are all the team. The indoor pool, lounge area and restaurant are all adjacent thus making a pleasant open area with a buzz of people always around. Location is good both for the beautiful beach and the amenities in the town, being very well placed in a leafy area of Bournemouth. The hotel could do with a bit of updating, especially the stair carpeting. Our room has always been very clean. We always eat at the hotel and enjoy a drink at the bar. Isabella on the bar is a very cheerful presence. The chef makes delicious biscuits though it would be nice to see an update in the menu.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size and shape. The top floor rooms get very hot in summer. But you can ask at rec...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Myself, my husband and our friends decided to book a weekend away. We choose this hotel & spa despite the bad reviews.
Please believe the reviews this hotel is a waste of money! The only half decent thing is the location! The staff are rude, no hot water, no heating, really expensive bar, dirty spa & not to mention the smallest spa I have ever been too in my life.
The rooms are small and come across old and dirty. Hotel in general needs to be completly redecorated not to mention cleaned!!!
DO NOT STAY HERE!! There are so many lovely hotels and this is certainly not one of them!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hyperbottom220
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at the Hallmark Hotel over Christmas 2012. We had selected it mainly because it was dog friendly and for my wife's Gluten Free Diet, as she is a registered UK Coeliac.
First we had booked a twin bedded executive room, we were offered a double bedded room, in the end we sat whilst staff converted the double bed into twin beds, during our wait, as it was freezing cold, we enquired about the central heating, to be told it hadn't worked properly for months, so they supplied us with 2 electric heaters. Not the same sort of heat, we had to rurn them off duiring the night. An engineer looked at our bathroom radiator, which said "be careful gets very hot". Well ours didn't, coldest bathroom we have ever had, never again!.
As for Gluten Free, well we had been assured it would be fully catered for. The Dorset Tea on the first afternoon, had lovely cream and jam but no gluten free scones or sandwhiches, we only got some gluten free sandwiches after complaining to the Management. It got worse, on a later morning they ran out of gluten free bread, the chef had hidden it. The heating never got any better and our very small Toy Poodle was not allowed in the bar, as they served food in the bar, so we had to sit with her in a cold passage way alongside the swimming pool. We found out later that the EU ruling on animals is that they are not allowed in a room where food is being cooked and they certainly didn't cook food in the bar..

1  Thank dodie_don
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This weekend was booked for myself and nine other ladies. First impressions were good, myself and a friend arrived Saturday afternoon and met the others in the bar, our table for lunch was booked for 12:30pm. We ate at 1:45pm as we were waiting the whole time for our "lite bites", very disappointing as four of our ladies had treatments booked for 2pm.
We all relaxed in the spa area after being told there are no robes, the toilet was blocked, (the only toilet in the spa area), the showers were a trickle,limited lockers with keys.
There was hope as we all enjoyed fabulous treatments from the very attentive and polite Beauticians. Dinner was booked for 8:30pm. Again we all met in the bar and went to the table on time. The starters arrived at 9:00pm and the mains at 10pm, The whole time we had numerous waiters and waitress's coming to us , telling us it would not be much longer, we were bribed with cocktails and a bottle of wine and eventually some bread. It was an absolute JOKE !
However the Hotels saving grace was a young bar man named Luke. He kept us as happy as he could, no job was too small for him, his efforts were not missed by any of us, he should be the Manager of staff, he met us at beginning of our stay and he was at work until we left Sunday afternoon he is an absolute must to the Hotel.

3  Thank 687Jean
Reviewed February 4, 2013

i have just returned from the hallmark, oh where do i start,
my sister booked the weekend for me as a treat with 9 others, we arrived and some of us had robes and some didnt, which is an issue as some of the ladies did not feel comfortable walking around in there costumes as the toilet in the spa was broken so my hens had to go into the hotel to use the disabled toilet.
the next issue was lunch, we waited 40 mins for salads, plus one of my party is a vegetarian, and the menu did not cater for veggies the poor girl was offered pea and ham soup with the ham removed, this needs looking at. the staff were unhelpful, rude and annoying as noone had answers. a few members complained to management and offered us wine to make up for the mistakes. luke the bar man was amazing and made my evening by helping us and serving us. the treatments we had in the spa were wonderful, i had spohia and she was lovely.
when i came to check out i was charged for my stay, when it had been paid for, the guy on reception was so rude, i had to go and find my sister to sort it out, she had to get very cross with him before he removed the extra charge for the room off. also we were promised discounts on out second treatments but he also did not know anything about this and i had been stood waiting for 30 mins so i just paid.

i am now very very concerned as i have booked the hallmark for my honeymoon, as a surprise for my hubby, i really really hope i dont have these problems when i come to stay again

2  Thank Claire S