“Lovely!”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #47 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Lovely!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night Xmas break! 14 of us aged 10 to 80! We had a lovely time! All the staff were brilliant! Friendly and helpful and quick to attend to any little problems! The food was delicious at all meals and wonderful cake and balloons were laid on for my daughters birthday on Christmas eve? The entertainment on Christmas eve was fun, not so good Christmas night as we didn't really want a salsa lesson, just to dance but there was enough of us to make our own entertainment. Thank you Hallmark for giving us a Christmas to remember! Good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Jduv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We only had a one night stay here which was pleasant enough. We were in a room directly above one of the function rooms, despite asking for a quiet room when we booked; so we had to suffer noisy revellers well into the early hours of the morning.
The staff were polite and attentive, but their efforts were let down by the dated and poorly maintained property. The reception area and dining area are an obvious new addition, and in good order. The stair carpet on the flight up to our room was badly worn and very close to being a trip hazard.
Our room seemed clean enough (though a more thorough dusting was needed). The single wardrobe would not have been adequate for two people if staying more than one night. I thought it rather old fashioned to have sheets and blankets on the bed, but these were adequate for a warm night. It had been a mild day and the room was uncomfortably warm,so we tried to switch on the ceiling fan - it didn't work. Thankfully, we were able to open the window.
For washing, we had a constant supply of hot water when we needed it, which was good. The bathroom was rather shabby due to poor workmanship, but serviceable ... except the shower. This had constant leaks from all of the connections,the worst being at the fixing of the hose to the wall - directly in line with the shower tap. Consequently, when the shower was turned on your hand received a spray of very hot water. Due to the leaks, the actual shower head had less water pressure and resulted in a rather feeble shower. Also the heated towel rail/radiator was always cold, despite the optimistic warning notice above it.
We had a really good breakfast in the morning. Buffet style, there was a constant supply of freshly cooked items and plenty of fresh fruit, cereals, breads, etc.
I think the room rate for the standard of accommodation was far too high, but probably in line with most other hotels in Bournemouth. I'm not sure that I would want to stay here again, unless I could get a very good room rate, and then, only for one or two nights.

1 Thank Pepperty
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Just returned form a lovely weekend in Bournemouth, shame about the weather!
They have a German xmas village in the square which in some ways was expensive.
Enjoyed a pleasant stay at the Hallmark just outside the top of town, but ideal location to get in and out of the town. Room was spacious and to my relief warm on arrival, I think the new manager has made some changes since arriving recently and the friendly staff commented so when asked about the past problems.
The xmas functions were in full swing and a bit noisey but I expected this as have just had my own works do!!!!
I will return again in the summer as love Bournemouth and the vibe of the town and would reccomend hallmark Hotel.

Merry Christmas

Room Tip: May want to check if close to function rooms if a early night is required
1 Thank caseymia
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Arrived at 5pm, enough time to chill out and get ready for our christmas party. When we opened the door to our room the cold air hit us! The room was freezing! I found a heater in the wardrobe, but there was no other heating. The radiators were cold. I called reception and they said that the heating doesn't normally come on until 6 or 7pm. They fetched another heater as the room was unbearably cold. Then to my disappointment I found that there was no hot water! When we complained we were told "it's a hotel, if lots of people decide to shower at the same time then we can't expect there to be hot water available for everyone!" I ended up having to have a freezing cold shower.. Not good when the room was also so cold. The heating didn't come on in the room at all that night. Also there was a sheet and a thin blanket on the bed so it was even too cold to sleep.
When we went to check out everyone was complaining about the lack of heating, lighting and hot water. We did get 50% knocked off the bill as an apology but even at half price I feel we could have stayed somewhere close by, which would have been a lot better, for the same price. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone and can only suggest that the management sort out these problems if they want to survive. There are plenty of hotels nearby which offer a much more comfortable night's stay.

2 Thank Aqua1701

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

This hotel is nothing like the adverts. The public rooms are fine, the bedrooms very much not. We stayed on a busy Saturday for a Christmas function and were very dissapointed in our room. Dated, tatty decor, careless housekeeping and a lack of working lights make for a very poor first impression. The bathroom was good, until you tried the lights and the hot water - there weren't any! There was no heating or hot water for the whole of our stay and the bed had too few blankets for the temperature. All in all a very poor stay visit. This was all mentioned to the staff and all we were told was they were sorry we had not enjoyed our stay. Imagine our displeasure when we were told that others in our party had been given a 50% discount for the same issues. We will not stay again nor reccommend this hotel to visiting family and friends.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank patricia d
Roma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Well I know this lovely hotel as I have stayed before, so another review may seem over the top. BUT this time I arrived after many miles in freezing fog, very tired and just wanting to rest in the lovely Spa and pool and I had booked an Executive room for extra comfort. BUT the room (207) was totally average and little executive, as well as.............freezing cold!!!. When I phoned reception to complain they wasted no time and I was asked to move into room 104 (I think) immediately, which was MUCH better and it was as warm as toast!!!
The lesson is the usual lesson, that problems can ALWAYS occur, but the difference is how you react to the problem. Well done reception!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for one of the newer rooms.....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Christmas party. Sit down three course meal. A selection of three starters the salad was tiny. Fish cake was not made from scratch - I'm guessing frozen! Soup was okay nothing special. Turkey dinner - was okay but you could get a better one in a Pub! One of my colleagues had a plate of greasy turkey skin - not good. Desert - berry fool was lovely, but cold sticky toffee pudding (stodgy) was a terrible let down. And the waiter even told me its supposed to be served cold? What!?! Moving on to the games host/dj - nobody wanted to waste time on the stupid quiz game. It was already 10pm after three courses of poor quality food,everyone just wanted to dance!! So after the quiz and games we only had an hour left for a dance. The music was also a let down, complete cheese! So disapointed as I imagine this event wasn't cheap. 1 hour of music does not cut it for a Christmas party! Hallmark don't disapoint again as your Christmas party bookings for next year will suffer!!

• Stayed December 2012