“Not a Four Star Hotel”

Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Not a Four Star Hotel”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a 'long weekend' (3 Nights) break at the end of November.
The room itself was attractive in decor, room was warm enough, the bed ok. What really disappointed me was the hot water or lack of it. When you've trudged around Bournemouth in the cold, wind and rain all day, there's nothing more you would look forward to than a hot bath and relaxation - well this didn't happen... The hot water tap ran so slow it took an age to run a bath, the water was not hot and even if it was by the time the bath had run it had become tepid. The shower also had no power, there was a distinct lack of water pressure or a faulty boiler - I chose not to complain but should have. The water in the shower and sinks was a little better each morning. Not good enough for a 4* hotel in my opinion.

The food in the restaurant was superb, we ate there on two evenings. Drinks are expensive at £3.90 a pint of San Miguel.

Maid service was excellent and the staff left an anniversary card and rose petals on the bed to acknowledge our 27th anniversary - a nice touch.

Didn't use the spa but it looked decent. Car parking was adequate.

Be careful, its a good 3/4 of a mile walk down the West Cliff down to the pier and town, not ideal for the elderly or infirm. There are no decent pubs close by either.
Would I stay agian? not sure but there are decent deals to be had in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 9, 2012

because this place is more like Fawlty Towers than the Malmaison. If you're thinking of paying full price for it, then think again... but if like us, you're getting it on a cheap voucher deal, then it's just about ok. The first room they put us in was small and smelt musty. After we objected, we were moved to a larger room which was ok. The decor of the rooms and corridors is very dated, and the bathrooms aren't very nice. The spa is small but adequate (though there was some dirty grey scum floating around the jacuzzi and the aromatherapy cave smelt of nothing) Don't be fooled by the free tapas - it's inadequate and unappetising - a few manky olives is all there is really. But they breakfast was ok, and they even found me a charger so I could juice up my iphone.... so it wasn't all bad... but it was mostly crap in Fawlty Towers almost enjoyable kind of way.

Room Tip: Complain to the front desk. They are used to it and will upgrade you
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff and the hotel looked promising. As we were checked in and not shown to our room we were a little confused as to if we were going the right way.
As we stepped in the room it was a hmm ok it took 10 minutes to get the lights working to find out you had to wobble the card around in the slot a few times... The room needed to be plastered and painted as you could Proberly make pictures out of the cracks. The bedroom window didn't close and the bath was stained.
Dinner started great we had a friendly waitress who took our starter and main order we waited a while and the starter looked promising and it was! When the main arrived our plates hadnt been removed so the table was crowded. She placed the meal and then removed our plates?!? ( the staff had changed) I couldn't eat my meal it tasted of nothing, the staff avoided our table and didn't clear the plates in the end my husband took it within himself to call someone over which took a while. Everyone else had been waited on but not us and the restaurant wasn't busy!!! (3 tables) The manager offered us another meal but I was no longer Hungry, upset at the service I didn't want to stay we had already paid for a 3 course meal! He offered us a bottle of wine but all I wanted was a nice meal and a smile! The waitress finally slapped our dessert menu down and walked away at that point I wanted to leave! The dessert was good just a shame about the service!

I would not come to this hotel again the Marriott not far away seemed more promising!

The manager did well offering us something complimentary but really all we wanted was a smile! It was our anniversary and we just wanted something special. The young girls attitude has an effect on the people she serves and it did, we planned to stay in lounge for a while but just wanted to be out of the way. We had paid for breakfast but avoided it as we didn't want endure this bad service a second time.

Thank you to those that smiled and were nice. Not all a loss but room for improvement.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Jade2190
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Our first room here had damp on the ceiling in the bathroom and a broken shower. We were quickly moved to another room by the friendly staff. However, we were still really cold and neither the radiator in the bathroom nor the bedroom worked and despite our mentioning it to the reception staff nothing was done about it for the three days we stayed - brrrr. The Spa was also fully booked so didn't get to use that either. The staff were really nice and friendly and can't fault them but the hotel itself needs lots of work. If you're looking for a 2 or 3 star hotel with friendly staff, this is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Derek R
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed two nights at the Hallmark Hotel, and have experienced the most curious approach to customer service. Whilst the specific issue might not be huge, the hotel's approach to dealing with it left me struggling for words.

Long story short, took items for dry cleaning at 8am, said I needed them back that day (to wear tomorrow). No delivery of cleaning that evening, next morning called for items, but no-one knew where they were. Was checking out, so left wearing dirty suit from earlier in the week.

I expected the hotel to treat this seriously (a guest was going to spend the next 2 days of his working week in dirty clothes).... however when I brought this up at reception.

- I was told that as a gesture of goodwill they would post my clothes back to me (a minimum one would expect)
- I was told that they would remove the cost from the bill (were they previously thinking of charging me for a cleaned suit I then couldn't wear ?)
- I was told they had done 'everything that they could have done' to find the suit in the morning, and thus I wasn't entitled to anything to 'make up' for the lost suit
- I was told this wasn't the hotel's problem as they didn't run the dry cleaning company (maybe British Airways could tell people to complain to Boeing if a plan has a technical issue ?)

... I could go on, but you get the picture. There was no ownership of the problem, no understanding that doing all you can to fix a problem after it has happened is just the minimum a guests expects - it was positioned as doing me a favour that they were going to post the items back to me.

So whilst that may be a small issue, what shocked me was the hotel's attitude and approach to it - and I would think twice about staying there again as a result. It just felt like the staff weren't being customer-centric in their approach

As it stands now I am waiting to see if the General Manager is 'willing' to call me and speak to me. As someone who last year spent over 100 nights in hotels (admittedly large international chains) - I've never had to hope that someone is 'willing' to speak to me. Terrible attitude to guest service.

Anecdotally the Wifi in room 50 didn't work as it was too far from an access point, and the shower didn't work because the holder for it was so worn out, you couldn't actually clip the shower head in at a height to use it.

Room Tip: Avoid room 50 if you want to Wifi to work !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank teamstorm_RW
Kinsbridge
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay with a large group of friends,I have to say the lovely helpful staff(Jared especially brightened our stay with his helpful manner and sense of humor) are holding this hotel together because the building is in serious need of major refurbishing.The heating was a serious issue although once again the staff did everything in their power to make things more comfortable for us.Management need to address the issues as it is always the members of staff that can only apologize to guests for things out of their control that take the flack.The food on the whole was good but our meal on the Saturday was extremely limited to the point of no choice other than soup for our starter,when the chef was asked could we have a choice we were told NO what an unaccommodating chef !! Loved the spa but probably would not stay here again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have just returned from a 2night stay here and had a great time but this was really due to the companions I was with and the staff working at Hallmark Hotel as opposed to the facilities / standards within the hotel itself.
We were a large group (~45) using one of their function rooms for a crafting weekend and overnighting on the premises. Across the group there were numerous reports of lack of heating in most / all the rooms (apparently due to broken boiler) on the 1st night then a power outage pitching a number of rooms into darkness in the early eve of the 2nd night. We nearly all had to reset our keys at some stage of the weekend for no obvious reason (particularly annoying for 4th floor guests furthest from reception)
The staff were all very friendly, apologetic and trying to make best of what seemed to be a rather unfortunate weekend for "glitches" (although having now read the recent posts these may be more frequent occurrences than we'd believed)
The bedroom literature stated "there are thermostats in each room to control the heating of each room" - ironic when the radiators weren't working at all and no sign of such a device. in fact Room 93 had a hand-scribbled note "what heating?!?!" from a previous guest. It appeared the literature may have been indicating what Hallmark INTEND to do with the premises although they took over and renovated the "Durley Hall Hotel & Spa" (according to their website) during 2008/2009 so I'm surprised as they've had some time to "settle in" by now.
On the plus side: As a large and all-female group we had our moments of hilarity / hysteria and one of the waiting staff in particular (Jared) made a noble effort in attending to our needs, taking it in his stride and humouring our antics. As did the female supervisor coordinating the group meals (I didn't catch her name).
I didn't get chance to check out the leisure facilities / spa etc to comment on those personally although I heard no complaints from those who did in our group.
I believe new managing staff are due imminently so would hope they can turn things around a bit to make the shifts for their staff a more enjoyable experience and to encourage guests to return another time.

Room Tip: the lift only goes to the 3rd floor so any 4th floor guests need to be able to walk / travel lightly...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends