“Never ever get married at the Hallmark hotel! Ever ever”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Never ever get married at the Hallmark hotel! Ever ever”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I never complain and i have been in the catering industry for over 20 years - but my mums spacial day was so badly run, so badly organised, i have to warn future couples looking for somewhere special - Look somewhere else !!!!!

Not really the hotels fault but there is a lack of parking space so most the guests had to drive around looking for somewhere to park, this anyone can forgive.

Guests started to arrive from all over the country and from over sea's to enjoy the special occasion
My mother was told to wait in her room and the hotel manager would escort her down to the ceromony, time ticked on and on we were suppose to go down at 4 and as the big hand hit 4.15 on the clock we started to get nervous, we tried to call down to reception but sadly the phone did not work, we went to go down to the reception but sadly the lift did not work :-/

The manager was apparently busy doing something else up in another room so a receptionist came to escort my mother on request.

The Manager asked us what time the balloons were arriving? we pointed out the hotel was organising this and the manager scuried off red faced.

The ceromony went very well and the canapes were good service was attentive and prompt.

I had concerns with the safty of my young children as the pool area was very open as was the unattended gym area, which some of the children used to get water?

We all moved to the reception area - as time ticked on we realised there was no music and the light were on full - once again the manager asked us what time th DJ was due? our heads feel and the blood drained from our faces "thats all been organised by the hotel" we said!!
The manager went red in the face - balloons is one thing but with a hundred guests arriving the evening was on the verge of ruin on our mothers most special day!

My sister followed the manager to reception to ask what he was planning to do? his first desicion was to ask my sister, the daughter of the bride to get out the hotel!!!!

After an hour, most the guests had arrived and it was very clear there was a problem,
the waiting staff tried to set up the chefs radio from the kitchen, they were unable to get this to work, but did provide something to watch ( the confusing thing was there were wall mounted speakers all around the hall, maybe linked to nothing?)

My mother started to wonder what was going on and where my sister had gone.
The best man asked the manager to explain to all the guests what was going on and why there was no music or disco - the manager refused and left the room!
A DJ was found and was greeted to a round of applause - i think the hotel was lucky to find someone this fast on a sat. night.
A good night was had in the end - however my mum did have difficulty in getting any of the wedding cake back and was told it had all been served - so any couples wanting to keep the top tear be warned, and all the flowers went missing!!!!?

The hotel have since compensated a few hundred pounds and a spar break(on request)- to be honest they should have got it free - what a shambles

Plenty of hotels in Bournemouth look around this hotel does not care about your day just your money!!!

2 Thank m0re74
helly200, Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you for your review further to your Mother's wedding.
There are some points that need clarification.
We have 80 complimentary carparking spaces and very rarely do we have an issue given that the on street parking is also free.
There was an issue with timing on the ceremony which I have discussed with the Bride and Groom, as you know the DJ was sick at short notice and the person running your event didn't want to worry anyone without due cause. Yes we should have created a more appropriate atmosphere in the meantime until he arrived but this is the first time we have been let down.
I also know that you swore and shouted at this person to the point where he was going to ask you to leave and caused him to stray from ettiquette by insisting he deal only with you and not the best man.
The leisure club is montiored by lifeguard trained staff and covered by cctv, there is also very clear signage stating that children should be accompanied by an adult.
I am sorry you felt the need to say these things given that your Mum said if the entertainment had arrived on time there would not have been an issue, as you know we have compensated them and they were happy with the conclusion and making them happy is the outcome I wanted.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at the hotel on Saturday night and really enjoyed the stay. Okay,the room wasn't huge but it was clean, modern and all that we needed for a night's stay. The hotel is well situated, just a short walk to the town and the beach. The hotel staff were really friendly and although we couldn't check in when we arrived (we were early) they were happy to put our things in the holding room. The bar staff were really friendly (although,a little slow) and although we didn't eat at the hotel, the food looked really nice. The spa was really nice and we were lucky as it was quiet quiet when we were there. For the money, I was really happy with the hotel. I have paid more in Bournemouth and the hotels have not been as nice. We will definitely go back and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: We were in room 66 and I have no complaints at all.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donna C
Thank you for your comments further to your stay, I am so pleased you enjoyed it and I hope to see you again soon.
Poole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Received excellent service from the Events and restaurant team when arranging a dinner for our family to celebrate my parents 60th wedding anniversary . We all thoroughly enjoyed our meal and were very impressed with the attention we received. Nothing was too much trouble and they even put two candles on their cake which was a lovely touch.

1 Thank Rita P
Thank you so much for your comments, I am glad you enjoyed your special occasion with us and I hope you will return.
Reviewed October 30, 2011

booked a twin room for one night, after requesting a brochure three times, i also had to ask for confirmation of my booking twice, this should have alerted me to the general poor service,but i had paid my money so fingers crossed.
we arrived early and were told we couldnt check in untill two, they didnt even ask my name to see if the room was ready. so we went into town returning to check in later.
the room was tiny and like a sauna, with what has to be the worst view, pipes , vents,a roof...
you had to keep the windows open because of the heat but the noise from the pipes and vents kept us awake.
the fan in the room did not work properly, nor did the bedside light,bathroom light and when we turned off the heated towel rail in the bathroom it leaked all over the floor.
in the morning i was asked why i didnt report it sooner, but as we only returned briefly before dinner we were not aware of these problems untill late.
we were given a voucher for free tapas next visit, there will be no more visits to this hotel, certainly not of four star standard, its only redeeming feature was the food was was enjoyable,and the restaurant staff good.
wish i had read other reviews before booking,returning home i read them and realised many have same complaints even down to the leaking radiator in the bathroom of room 26!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
helly200, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit. We guarantee check in from 2pm as stated on our website but all guests are free to use the hotel facilities at any time before hand. I am sorry that you did not receive your brochure and that the booking confirmation had also not come through, this sometimes goes into junk mail.

Sadly there is nothing we can do about the view as some rooms overlook the roof but I take your point.

Thank you for your comments regarding the food. I am sorry that you will not be returning.

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

fareham
Reviewed October 28, 2011

We stayed here in october 2011
we were getting ready to go out for the evening thinking i would have a bath, water was luke warm grrr. my partner thought she would go and brush teeth but no water came out of hot water tap in sink , tryed bath tap NO WATER . so we thought we would phone reception when looking high and low there was no phone socket in room anywhere, the funny thing was we had a room service menu mmmm, i had to contact my friend by mobile to call reception about this. half hour later reception girl came up i said about problem and she said its because everyone is using water I DONT THINK SO.
She then said she will have to go down to boiler room but never came back grrrr. on the way out i popped to she if there was any joy with water, i got told a engineer is coming out. in the morning we asked about water again and got told he was at hotel until 4am.
all they could offer was a complimentry drink in bar oh and bath robes for spa as they are normally £5 if you stay in standard rooms. i think all the hot water is going on heating two swimmings.
appart from that the other parts of hotel there where fine and we had a fun weekend.

Room Tip: go excecutive
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments relating to your stay. It was unfortunate that our new calorifiers chose to have an issue on that particular evening. We took the best course of action by calling an emergency plumber who came out and spent the evening until 4am fixing the problem.

The swimming pools are heated separately and do not affect the main feed into the hotel bedrooms.

I am glad you had a fun weekend in spite of this and I hope you will return
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Me and my partner recently stayed and had a great time, clean room, nice bar and restaurant , we used the spa and was quite disappointed that there was work and painting being done whilst we were trying to enjoy all the spa treatments, and the spa pool was closed, but this hasn't put us off and we would defo return, would reccomend to anyone for a quiet getaway x

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you for leaving your comments, I am glad you enjoyed your stay, yes there was some work going on in the Spa but this was intended to improve the facilitiy , my apologies if this affected your enjoyment in any way.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Have stayed in better 3 star hotels in the locality of this hotel and paid much less for much better service and facilities. Overall we found staff to be rude at times and overall difficult with a severe lack of customer service skills. VERY strange payment method on arrival, which nobody bothers to tell you about, after calling TWICE to ask about deposits etc, prior to arrival. Restaurant food was good, but useless for a long stay as it doesn't change. Room facilities were good, but not equal to the hotel's current 4* rating. In my opinion, 3* would be more appropriate and it would be good if staff received better training on customer relations (management too!!)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience, I am sorry if you felt the customer service was poor and this is an area we are working on constantly.

At no point do we ask for a deposit for a private stay, purely an authorisation of your card as with the majority of hotels.

You are correct in saying the main menu does not change but we offer a variety of specials to run alongside this.

We have worked very hard to achieve 4* status which was awarded by the AA