“A really enjoyable stay”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff
Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at the hotel on Saturday night and really enjoyed the stay. Okay,the room wasn't huge but it was clean, modern and all that we needed for a night's stay. The hotel is well situated, just a short walk to the town and the beach. The hotel staff were really friendly and although we couldn't check in when we arrived (we were early) they were happy to put our things in the holding room. The bar staff were really friendly (although,a little slow) and although we didn't eat at the hotel, the food looked really nice. The spa was really nice and we were lucky as it was quiet quiet when we were there. For the money, I was really happy with the hotel. I have paid more in Bournemouth and the hotels have not been as nice. We will definitely go back and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: We were in room 66 and I have no complaints at all.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna C
helly200, Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Thank you for your comments further to your stay, I am so pleased you enjoyed it and I hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,987)

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Received excellent service from the Events and restaurant team when arranging a dinner for our family to celebrate my parents 60th wedding anniversary . We all thoroughly enjoyed our meal and were very impressed with the attention we received. Nothing was too much trouble and they even put two candles on their cake which was a lovely touch.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Rita P

Thank you so much for your comments, I am glad you enjoyed your special occasion with us and I hope you will return.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

booked a twin room for one night, after requesting a brochure three times, i also had to ask for confirmation of my booking twice, this should have alerted me to the general poor service,but i had paid my money so fingers crossed.
we arrived early and were told we couldnt check in untill two, they didnt even ask my name to see if the room was ready. so we went into town returning to check in later.
the room was tiny and like a sauna, with what has to be the worst view, pipes , vents,a roof...
you had to keep the windows open because of the heat but the noise from the pipes and vents kept us awake.
the fan in the room did not work properly, nor did the bedside light,bathroom light and when we turned off the heated towel rail in the bathroom it leaked all over the floor.
in the morning i was asked why i didnt report it sooner, but as we only returned briefly before dinner we were not aware of these problems untill late.
we were given a voucher for free tapas next visit, there will be no more visits to this hotel, certainly not of four star standard, its only redeeming feature was the food was was enjoyable,and the restaurant staff good.
wish i had read other reviews before booking,returning home i read them and realised many have same complaints even down to the leaking radiator in the bathroom of room 26!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
helly200, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth West Cliff, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit. We guarantee check in from 2pm as stated on our website but all guests are free to use the hotel facilities at any time before hand. I am sorry that you did not receive your brochure and that the booking confirmation had also not come through, this sometimes goes into junk mail.

Sadly there is nothing we can do about the view as some rooms overlook the roof but I take your point.

Thank you for your comments regarding the food. I am sorry that you will not be returning.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

We stayed here in october 2011
we were getting ready to go out for the evening thinking i would have a bath, water was luke warm grrr. my partner thought she would go and brush teeth but no water came out of hot water tap in sink , tryed bath tap NO WATER . so we thought we would phone reception when looking high and low there was no phone socket in room anywhere, the funny thing was we had a room service menu mmmm, i had to contact my friend by mobile to call reception about this. half hour later reception girl came up i said about problem and she said its because everyone is using water I DONT THINK SO.
She then said she will have to go down to boiler room but never came back grrrr. on the way out i popped to she if there was any joy with water, i got told a engineer is coming out. in the morning we asked about water again and got told he was at hotel until 4am.
all they could offer was a complimentry drink in bar oh and bath robes for spa as they are normally £5 if you stay in standard rooms. i think all the hot water is going on heating two swimmings.
appart from that the other parts of hotel there where fine and we had a fun weekend.

Room Tip: go excecutive
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments relating to your stay. It was unfortunate that our new calorifiers chose to have an issue on that particular evening. We took the best course of action by calling an emergency plumber who came out and spent the evening until 4am fixing the problem.

The swimming pools are heated separately and do not affect the main feed into the hotel bedrooms.

I am glad you had a fun weekend in spite of this and I hope you will return

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Me and my partner recently stayed and had a great time, clean room, nice bar and restaurant , we used the spa and was quite disappointed that there was work and painting being done whilst we were trying to enjoy all the spa treatments, and the spa pool was closed, but this hasn't put us off and we would defo return, would reccomend to anyone for a quiet getaway x

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you for leaving your comments, I am glad you enjoyed your stay, yes there was some work going on in the Spa but this was intended to improve the facilitiy , my apologies if this affected your enjoyment in any way.

Reviewed October 26, 2011

Have stayed in better 3 star hotels in the locality of this hotel and paid much less for much better service and facilities. Overall we found staff to be rude at times and overall difficult with a severe lack of customer service skills. VERY strange payment method on arrival, which nobody bothers to tell you about, after calling TWICE to ask about deposits etc, prior to arrival. Restaurant food was good, but useless for a long stay as it doesn't change. Room facilities were good, but not equal to the hotel's current 4* rating. In my opinion, 3* would be more appropriate and it would be good if staff received better training on customer relations (management too!!)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience, I am sorry if you felt the customer service was poor and this is an area we are working on constantly.

At no point do we ask for a deposit for a private stay, purely an authorisation of your card as with the majority of hotels.

You are correct in saying the main menu does not change but we offer a variety of specials to run alongside this.

We have worked very hard to achieve 4* status which was awarded by the AA

Reviewed October 21, 2011

I recently stayed at the hotel for 4 nights while taking a course at the hotel for my work. While I live relatively close by, I chose to stay onsite so that I could study in a relaxed environment and be free of distractions. I enjoyed the food from the restaurant and bar. However, I felt the accommodation was terrible. The first night I was woken at 2 in the morning by a loud generator sound. I was moved during the night to a room half the size where the main light flickered, the curtains wouldn't close properly and the wind rattled the windows. When I spoke with reception in the morning I was moved to the so-called Honeymoon suite. This room was nice to look at on the surface. It had a whirlepool bath, king size bed and nice shower cubicle. I soon discovered the whirlpool bath was accompanied by a sign saying that "the bath can not be used as a whirlpool bath", the shower had less pressure than rain, there were pigeons sitting on the window sill and traffic noise. I mentioned the water pressure to the duty manager who said that whilst he would not like the shower himself that this was one of the better rooms. He suggested having a bath. The following morning the shower pressure had reduced to nothing. In short, I would definitely not recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you for your feedback, I can only apologise that your room was not adequate to your needs, I can not explain the generator sound as we don't have one.

With regard to water pressure and the other comments you have made I can tell you that we are investing in some of the rooms in order to avoid any future discomfort.